2005 Pontiac Vibe, 120k, $3600

I would think of this way. Do I want/have $5000 to part with to purchase a $3500 car + $1500 in fix issues that a 17 year old car may have lurking beyond revealed brakes.

I ended picking up a 10 year old Acura small sedan that was inspected in MA but had mentally prepared myself another $1000 of unknowns despite nice test drive.

Off the bad ended up dropping $300 for worn suspension bits that would not pass NH inspection . Another $85 to recharge tepid AC. Also alignment apparently way off (maybe 16 year old daughter introduced) because it chewed up barely worn tires in a few months.

Last edited:
Run a history report. N. KY is close enough to the rust belt that I'd wan't to make sure it wasn't an auction car from Chicago. It's a good deal if it's in good shape, but if you don't need AWD, why buy one? Those are slow in FWD so the added weight of AWD make them feel anemic.
It does seem like the majority of the used cars marketed around here are from the rust belt.

all I can say is we have an 06' in the family now for 6yrs, and it just keeps on going...I wouldn't opt for the awd though...

The 05 Vibe was included in the NHTSA Takata airbag recall. I highly doubt that vehicle had the airbag(s) replaced but you can check the VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I actually used to own one but sold it because Takata went bankrupt, and I wasn't going to wait around with the chance that if the airbag was deployed could add chunks of shrapnel to my face. At the time I was recently married, and we just had a baby. Looking back I still wonder if maybe I should have kept it as that specific generation turned out to be extremely reliable (FWD version). But then I remind myself that it rides like sh*t, has a lot of road noise, and is very ride sensitive to poorly balanced tires. The FWD could barely go anywhere in snow with even the best Michelin tires and required the use of winter tires.

The 05 Vibe was included in the NHTSA Takata airbag recall. I highly doubt that vehicle had the airbag(s) replaced but you can check the VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

I actually used to own one but sold it because Takata went bankrupt, and I wasn't going to wait around with the chance that if the airbag was deployed could add chunks of shrapnel to my face. At the time I was recently married, and we just had a baby. Looking back I still wonder if maybe I should have kept it as that specific generation turned out to be extremely reliable (FWD version). But then I remind myself that it rides like sh*t, has a lot of road noise, and is very ride sensitive to poorly balanced tires. The FWD could barely go anywhere in snow with even the best Michelin tires and required the use of winter tires.

I would have just disconnected the air bags.

Good Solid cars that will run forever if taken care of.. at that price I would have done or do my own thorough inspection to avoid surprises and then I would grab it at the best price they'll give me for it..

Test drove a used VIBE A.W.D. 3 or 4 years ago . Turned it down , dipstick very low and crud in upper engine . Few other issues as well . Overpriced as well .

I called and talked to the guy. It’s still on the lot so I’m going to go look at it tomorrow. He said there’s no rust so that’s a good sign. Said the brakes pull a bit but would knock off a few bucks for new pads or rotors. I’m cautiously optimistic.
The brakes pulling to one side sounds like sticking calipers to me. It’s good that there’s no body rust, but check under the car.

My wife has an ‘03 Corolla, purchased new and maintained by me since 40k. No major mechanicals have gone bad beside the starter (174k) and the a/c clutch and relay. No oil burning (5k OCI with Mobil 1) and no transmission trouble (30k services). Minor oil leaks, but nothing unusual for a 19-year-old car with 204k.

Last edited:
Drove it today. CEL is on, recirc door is clicking under the dash, has been in a front end collision and the hood panel gaps are at least 3/8” different. It has a clean title so the wreck wasn’t bad enough to total it. Will need a muffler soon, and the oil was dark and about halfway between the marks. Transmission and drive train seemed solid and I didn’t notice any problem with the brakes. Needs a good interior scrubbing. I didn’t crawl under it but the car has Pennsylvania parking stickers so it’s probably seen some salt. It was supposedly purchased at a PA dealer auction and then driven six hours.

I could probably get it for $3k even but the CEL gives me pause. Wish I had remembered to take my code reader with me.

I‘m leaning toward passing but I‘m going to spring for a VIN report to see how many owners it has had.

Drove it today. CEL is on, recirc door is clicking under the dash, has been in a front end collision and the hood panel gaps are at least 3/8” different. It has a clean title so the wreck wasn’t bad enough to total it. Will need a muffler soon, and the oil was dark and about halfway between the marks. Transmission and drive train seemed solid and I didn’t notice any problem with the brakes. Needs a good interior scrubbing. I didn’t crawl under it but the car has Pennsylvania parking stickers so it’s probably seen some salt. It was supposedly purchased at a PA dealer auction and then driven six hours.

I could probably get it for $3k even but the CEL gives me pause. Wish I had remembered to take my code reader with me.

I‘m leaning toward passing but I‘m going to spring for a VIN report to see how many owners it has had.
that cel will probably be an o2 sensor issue p0136 voltage issue...not a biggie...sounds a little on the rough side (car cond) and awd is a pass..

Back