2005 Nissan Xterra Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post on this site. Looking for a decent oil/filter combination for the Xterra. It's new with less than 1,000 miles. From searching the site it looks like Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil and either the Nissan OEM 15208-9E000, Wix 51356, Purolator 14610 or PureOne filter will be a decent combination. The truck will never be used for towing and be used for typical driving, nothing too harsh. The oil and filter will be changed every 3,750 miles. Is this oil a good choice? Which filter would be best? Looks like Nissan requires the filter have the ADBV. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Castrol and an OEM filter would be a fine choice.
welcome.gif

Not that GTX is a bad oil or anything, but, it is a tad pricey. Why not look into something cheaper, say, Havoline or, even some TropArtic for a whole $1 a quart at the DollarTree stores (if they still have any left). Unless you have your heart set on GTX, then I'd only get it if you can catch it on sale. Paying over $2 a qt for some dino just aint my thing. But then, with that short of an OCI, you could even run Supertech in it and you wouldn't even notice a difference.
cheers.gif

My Nissan dealer uses stuff pumped out of a truck from this place http://hoosierpennoil.com . It goes into a ~300 gallon above ground tank labled: "HP 10w30 SL".

Make what you want of this, but I do not see any cars waiting around at the dealer blowing smoke or needing an enigne.

I just buy whatever Xw30 SL/SM is cheapest at oil change time to dump into my wife's 3.5 Quest. This allows me more time to worry about Jen crying when Angielina called, or if Britt is going to kick K-Fed out for good, etc... And yes, I do think Nicky is too skinny.

Mike, congrats on a sweet truck. You'll find that the Nissan VQ engines like thick 30-weight or thin 40-weight motor oils. A lot of folks running long OCIs use synthetics like German Castrol (GC), a 0W-30, or Mobil 1 0W-40.

If you're going to stick with shorter OCIs, a good conventional oil like Havoline or Chevron will do fine, or even an HDEO like Shell Rotella T 5W-40. (I should have a UOA on the Rotella from my VQ in a few days; keep an eye out in the UOA forum.)

As for filters, go for the PureOne--excellent filtration for not a lot of money. The OEM filters are mediocre, especially for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back