2005 Mazda Tribute: is it just a junky Ford?

A guy has a 2005 Mazda Tribute (3.0L Duratec, 4WD) with 134K miles listed for $2900. Dashboard-light.com doesn’t have kind things to say about their reliability and it has a USA, not Japanese VIN. I figure if he came down to $2500 it wouldn’t have to last all that long to get my money back out of it, but not if it’s a ticking time bomb, of course.

Anyone have experience with these? Is it more like a Mazda or more like a Ford?

It is a rebadged Escape.

They (the 3.0L) were known to have EGR and injection issues which cause cat failures in the Escape/Tribute. It happened to my sister's Escape and it was expensive to fix. The 2.5L engine (Mazda design; Ford made) was a better fit for that application. Though not as powerful, it was far more reliable. They weren't bad SUVs for their time. The less stuff (features) on them, the more reliable they were.

FWD was also "better" than the AWD because of the whole PTU issue ...

Given that it's a 3.0L with AWD, I'd pass on it. If you buy it, just realize it may be a problem waiting to drain your wallet.

Last edited:
That's a terrible vehicle. DO NOT buy it!!!
DO give me the contact info of the seller please. So that I can buy that gem before anyone else wises up.
In all seriousness - that's a steal. But, as described above, not without its share of issues. But any used vehicle comes with its issues, even Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Infiniti/etc.

I thought they were based on the 626 but built by Ford so Mazda / Ford version about the same? I mean for $3K your going to be swimming at the bottom of the pool. However I would be looking for something much simpler - FWD / 4 cylinder type stuff if I only had $3K to spend?

Don't buy it.

The 4-cylinder Escape/Tribute is a little better but still not great. The earlier I4 Escapes had the Zetec, while the later ones have the MZR.

You're better off with a Mazda5 or Matrix/Vibe

Brother's GF had an '05 Tribute 3.0-she put a lot of miles on it, but it had the evil catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold fail, took out the engine. I looked at an ;05 Escape AWD recently, it had the 2.5 and a rare 5-speed-but I've driven toploader & 3-on-the-tree pickups that were easier to shift. Combined with numerous leaks, incuding the rear diff, leaking A/C system (it just needs a recharge :ROFLMAO:) and a pretty worn out front suspension-I wouldn't have paid $2500 for it. This Escape was even allegedly senior owned & was still disintegrating, and didn't have the rust they're known for-STILL not worth it!

I thought they were based on the 626 but built by Ford so Mazda / Ford version about the same? I mean for $3K your going to be swimming at the bottom of the pool. However I would be looking for something much simpler - FWD / 4 cylinder type stuff if I only had $3K to spend?
Even $3K vehicles are beat down junk these days-xBs like mine with body damage & twice the miles of mine are $4K+ now. To the OP-short of a miracle, any non-Panther Ford more than 3 years old or so is likely going to need BIG $ repairs-"junky" Ford is unfortunately normal now.

Owned a 2002 Escape AWD V6 from new, same vehicle.
Got rid of it at 70,000 miles. Was tired of fixing it every weekend.
Example - Did a trans oil drain and fill every 20k miles (maybe less) since it is so easy on these, still failed at 60k miles.
Loved that SUV, ... when it worked.

188k on our 04 Escape. That's pretty much the going price on these now. It'll still have a lot of miles in it. The 3.0s are notorious oil leakers, timing and oil pan. LiquiMoly oil saver did work on ours. I'd recommended not changing the pcv. Also pull the under hood insulation off first thing. It soaks up water and drips on the coils. Just make sure it doesn't have any misfires, that's a nightmare.

I'd do a trans change every oil change if the fluid is brown. Ours shifts perfectly with Merc V. I did have to cut out the rear wheel wells and use the brackets.

We've had ours a long time.. I could go on and on but in short I'd buy it. The interior on ours is still perfect .. outside is a little rusty and ongoing battle. Can't answer on 4wd but I haven't heard of any issues.

Had an ‘03 Tribute LX V-6 for 5 years. I loved it to pieces, literally…engine gave up just over 200k miles from EGR/blocked cat issues. It clunked and knocked and needed a lot of $$, but the most comfortable ‘confident’ feeling vehicle I’ve ever owned. A lot harder on gas that I thought it would be, and rust becomes an issue later in life.

Even $3K vehicles are beat down junk these days-xBs like mine with body damage & twice the miles of mine are $4K+ now. To the OP-short of a miracle, any non-Panther Ford more than 3 years old or so is likely going to need BIG $ repairs-"junky" Ford is unfortunately normal now.
More than a mere 3 years old? That seems a little harsh and inaccurate.

It is typical to get over 100K mi out of them. However it is now over 100K mi. :)

At the same time, anything depreciated down to sub-$3K now, may have repairs looming in its future, particularly a nearly 20 year old, compact, unibody, AWD, SUV. If someone doesn't want repairs soon in their future, this is the price point for a FWD car instead. Does it matter that it's a Tribute? IMO not a lot at this price point. Some other make/model compact SUV at that price would have more miles and/or still something significant wrong with it, soon enough if not already.

Back