2005 civic question

You didn't state the trim, but if its the rare HX with a stick, buy it if it checks out and yes, they are reliable but avoid the HX with a CVT. The 96-2004 HX automatic used a CVT and Honda had lots of issues with them. The other trims used a conventional automatic. Honda got the CVT right in later non HX trims. I started off my mechanic career at a Honda dealer.

The engines are very reliable and by 2005, I believe it uses a timing chain, not a belt any longer. Valve cover gasket or timing solenoid gaskets are common leaks but simple and inexpensive to fix. It's almost 20 years old so rubber bits in the suspension are likely worn well, mileage won't matter. This is the case with ALL cars though.

If you buy it, change the oil/filter, do a single drain and refill of ATF with DW-1, replace serpentine belt and spark plugs (unless you have proof they've been done (recently)).

You didn't state the trim, but if its the rare HX with a stick, buy it if it checks out and yes, they are reliable but avoid the HX with a CVT. The 96-2004 HX automatic used a CVT and Honda had lots of issues with them. The other trims used a conventional automatic. Honda got the CVT right in later non HX trims. I started off my mechanic career at a Honda dealer.
It’s an LX 1.7 4 speed auto

Reliable yes but it's an older car so keep that in mind. Although, a good condition, lower mileage, older car can be the best buy and is certainly how I've tried to buy vehicles as well. They did have some issues with CV axles in some of those early years not sure if that was ironed out by 05'.

Reliable yes but it's an older car so keep that in mind. Although, a good condition, lower mileage, older car can be the best buy and is certainly how I've tried to buy vehicles as well. They did have some issues with CV axles in some of those early years not sure if that was ironed out by 05'.
Got a little over 100000 miles and needs engine mounts

If it were only $3000
If you're paying much more for a 20 year old econobox, you're paying too much.

Got a little over 100000 miles and needs engine mounts
Don't know if this one was or was not but that is what I've seen on older low mileage cars driven "In Town" (Lot's of stops & starts). My theory is it puts more wear on the engine mounts than a highway cruiser. Good thing is they should be relatively easy to replace with the right tools.

The engines are very reliable and by 2005, I believe it uses a timing chain, not a belt any longer. Valve cover gasket or timing solenoid gaskets are common leaks but simple and inexpensive to fix. It's almost 20 years old so rubber bits in the suspension are likely worn well, mileage won't matter. This is the case with ALL cars though.

If you buy it, change the oil/filter, do a single drain and refill of ATF with DW-1, replace serpentine belt and spark plugs (unless you have proof they've been done (recently)).
Can confirm it has a chain. My wife has a 2004 and it has a chain.

2006 is when it got the timing chain, so your 2005 still has the belt. If it was recently changed, good. If not, you'll have to factor that in.

I think Honda says 90k for the TB :unsure:

Anyone have any insight to buying a 2005 Honda civic. Reliable? Any issue to look at at over 100,000 miles?TIA

Negatives:
It uses a CVT.
Plastic valve cover, probably other plastic stuff to not like.
Automatic climate control<--I consider this to be a deal breaker.
Lack of a base trim level (especially on the hatchback)
Hatchback adds to the cost.

Other then that, fine.

Last edited:
Back