2002 F250 SuperDuty ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at picking up (no pun intended) a 2002 Ford F250 SuperDuty XLT crew cab. It's a 2WD with the Triton 5.4L V8 and automatic transmission. It has just about everything on it, including running boards, towing package and a Curt R5 fifth-wheel. The truck has been used for towing an RV.

The truck looks to be in good condition, inside and out, but I haven't had a chance to take anything more than a quick look. It has 127K miles on it and the guy is asking $9K. Is there anything in particular that I should look for when inspecting the truck closer? Any known issues?

TIA, guys.

Sparkplugs?????? Maintenance records? Is the engine sludged up? What color is the atf? when was the differential oil changed? What color is the powersteering fluid? Have the front wheel bearings beed repacked? Brakes done? Is the front end tight? Have you looked up the value on Kelly blue book .com? My wife has a 2002 xlt with a xtra cab and diesel engine it is a real nice truck.

Yeah, I check all the standard stuff when I go over a vehicle. I was thinking more along the lines of anything that tends to be a problem with this specific generation.

The truck is on the mark for "Private Party" value, as equipped.

Some engines have a sparkplug problem . There have been postings and I am sure on this site as well I try to search but there are others with knowledge about the subject.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Some engines have a sparkplug problem . There have been postings and I am sure on this site as well I try to search but there are others with knowledge about the subject.

Thanks, that's just the kind of info I was hoping for. I'll do some research on it.

Cheers

If the truck was used for towing an RV I would for sure check the rear end for whining.Also the drive shaft for play or noise.Also the motor could be tired because that motor is sure underpowered to tow.I have that same motor in my ford box truck,and when carrying any sort of heavy load it is preety much floored the whole time.

These are the engines that blow the spark plugs out. Any underhood maintenance other than oil changes are a major chore on this model. If it needed engine work the fastest way to acess the engine is to remove the cab from the body!

The guys on the RV boards mostly complain about it being underpowered in the 3/4 ton, PITA for maintenance and a bunch have had the spark plug issue, but if he had the plugs changed and it was done properly you should be fine. I would see if you could get if for 7500ish.

Thanks, guys. I had been thinking about a diesel 3/4-ton when I came across this thing. You've put me back on track for the diesel...

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Thanks, guys. I had been thinking about a diesel 3/4-ton when I came across this thing. You've put me back on track for the diesel...

lol.gif

With a "Ford" diesel, you need to be even more careful.

6.0 = problems.
6.4 = problems.
6.7 = who knows?
7.3 = best choice among these four.

With a diesel, best bet is a Dodge or GM.

Find one with a 7.3L diesel. You'll be WAY better off.

I love the 5.4L..... In an Expedition. Or even an F-150. But it is not enough engine for the Super Duty. And it would have been worked HARD.

On the other hand the owner may have done all maintenance better than 'by the book' and used all synthetic fluids. I wouldn't dismiss it quite so quickly. In addition to the spark plugs mentioned, the individual coils were problematic on some models with that engine.

I was going to say all my old 89 GMC 1 ton did was basically tow for 22 years, but the pervious owner and I were maintenance freaks. Don't want to be stranded with a load! Never let him or I down in 280,000 miles.

My new truck will be used for tow duties so maybe 3,000 miles per year with dump runs and I guarantee it will get the most love because it works the hardest! I would go out on a limb and say if the guy pulls his RV, I bet he took awesome care of it. All the folks I camp with are maintenance crazy when it comes to their tow rigs.

Having said that, stay away from the 6.0 diesel. Find a clean 7.3, heck of a good engine!

I'd have to say the guy seems to have taken very good care of the truck. He doesn't strike me as the sort to cheapskate a project. He even had a tail-lift installed on it, so it would be easier to remove the fifth-wheel when he wasn't using it. He also put a new set of tires on it a few thousand miles ago. Heck, the interior is immaculate, with not a flaw to be seen. If it didn't have 127K on the odometer, I'd swear it only had half that many miles on it. With gas prices headed back up he's had little interest, so the listed price has already been lowered to "$8500 OBO".

It's just that I've been all over the place on what I want. I can get a really good deal on a new Dodge, as I get a special fixed-percentage discount off of invoice price on anything from Chrysler. In addition to that, I still get any finance and rebates that are available to the public. Needless to say, that can make for one helluva deal.

At the same time, the new Eco-Boost from Ford is looking awfully interesting. Plenty of horsepower and stunning fuel efficiency make it a strong contender in my book. I may be able to wrangle an employee or supplier level pricing discount on a Ford, as well. Plus, I've always had a soft spot for Fords.

The latest GM products have finally become something that I'd legitimately consider. I really liked the Silverado that I was loaned for a couple of days to try out. The truck is a massive improvement over the previous model. Believe it or not I've been guaranteed employee pricing, plus rebates and financing, on the Chevy, too.

The only problem I have, and it runs to my very core, is that I can't stand the idea of putting a scrape or ding in a new truck. If I put a scratch on a new vehicle you'd think I'd just managed to sever a limb. Seriously, I'm talking Academy Award winning level of over-reaction.

See, just a simple little decision...
09.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

6.0 = problems.
6.4 = problems.
6.7 = who knows?

Based on what?

Cummins engines are wonderful. Too bad you can only get them in a Dodge from the factory. That pretty much cancels out any additional reliability from the engine. The Duramax is a good enough engine...what GM offered before it wasn't.

7.3s are great engines. My cousin recently brought a '99 7.3 out of storage after two years. He put new batteries in the truck and it started right up with no problems. He also has a 6.0 that runs great. I have put quite a few miles on that truck myself and would drive it anywhere. Yes, some 6.0s grenaded their turbos, and plenty of others run just fine.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

6.0 = problems.
6.4 = problems.
6.7 = who knows?

Based on what?

Cummins engines are wonderful. Too bad you can only get them in a Dodge from the factory. That pretty much cancels out any additional reliability from the engine. The Duramax is a good enough engine...what GM offered before it wasn't.

7.3s are great engines. My cousin recently brought a '99 7.3 out of storage after two years. He put new batteries in the truck and it started right up with no problems. He also has a 6.0 that runs great. I have put quite a few miles on that truck myself and would drive it anywhere. Yes, some 6.0s grenaded their turbos, and plenty of others run just fine.

"Based on what?"

Honestly, please point out which part of my post that you want me to explain.

I put "Ford" in quotes on purpose, as three of them aren't "Ford" engines. The fourth one is, but the jury is still out on it, due to it's recent introduction to the market.

There's plenty of documented instances everywhere of failures with the 6.0 and the 6.4. I never called into question the reliability of the 7.3.

21.gif

6.0 = problems.
6.4 = problems.
6.7 = who knows?

Based on what?

"Based on what?"

Honestly, please point out which part of my post that you want me to explain to you.... really.

21.gif

There are plenty of good 6.0s out there running without problems. Some of them did have issues, but not all. A 6.0 isn't guaranteed to have problems.

The 7.3 is just as reliable as a Duramax. What advantage does a GM truck have?

Dodge and GM trucks have their own issues. Like I said, the Cummins in the Dodge is great, but be prepared to replace things like ball joints. Ever heard of death wobble? http://www.wsoctv.com/news/19518416/detail.html

Ford builds excellent trucks. They did have some issues with some diesels, but there are plenty of very reliable Ford diesels out there.

6.0 = problems.
6.4 = problems.
6.7 = who knows?

Based on what?

"Based on what?"

Honestly, please point out which part of my post that you want me to explain to you.... really.

21.gif

There are plenty of good 6.0s out there running without problems. Some of them did have issues, but not all. A 6.0 isn't guaranteed to have problems.

The 7.3 is just as reliable as a Duramax. What advantage does a GM truck have?

Dodge and GM trucks have their own issues. Like I said, the Cummins in the Dodge is great, but be prepared to replace things like ball joints. Ever heard of death wobble? http://www.wsoctv.com/news/19518416/detail.html

Ford builds excellent trucks. They did have some issues with some diesels, but there are plenty of very reliable Ford diesels out there.
There are also way to many 6.0s out there with lots of problems. Check Diesel place . com, All of the big RV boards rv.net/forum and the ford truck enthusiast site.
Ford does make a good truck however recommending a used 6.0 is bad ju ju even the 6.0 guys on both the RV boards and the Powerstroke baoard I go to said stay away uless you like to fix stuff or pay big bucks for repairs as I was really considering a couple. Pulling the cab for headgasket repairs and having to install head studs as fix to a common problem is not my cup of tea. EGR coolers, couplings for oil to run the injectors have come apart causing a loss of oil pressure.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...b989c6c17f79c85
I got most of my information about their problems here
http://www.powerstroke.org/index.php
You have to register to read the site but it has a ton of good info.
If you want a Ford find a nice V-10, 5.4 or 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back