2.0 EcoBoost 800 mile oil change done

I had asked in another thread on using mobil 1 esp 0w30 in a new ford EcoBoost 2.0 cause I thought it seemed like a good fit. Well, that seemed to spark a lot of discussion. I took the advice of the well established members and stuck with an oil that meets fords spec. I hope I chose wisely. I went with Valvoline extended 5w30 cause of the additives and oil specs. I figured since it has a lot of moly it might be good for a new engine.
The oil I drained out really smelled like strong gas so I'm guessing it was good to get the early change done and probably should stick with 5k max changes. ill do 4200 miles on this to get me to 5k on the odometer and change every five thousand. I hope that will be good on the 2.0 EcoBoost.
I just got a new maverick yesterday and it too has the 2.0 EcoBoost.
unless you guys say otherwise ill do that one early with the Valvoline extended 5w30 too. At five thousand on each maybe I'll switch to something else. I'm open to advice for the EcoBoost.
thank you for all the help

The oil I drained out really smelled like strong gas
FWIW, every oil change I’ve ever done smelled strongly of gasoline, and not even UOAs that went to someplace that used GC for fuel % ever showed more than ~1.2% or so. Just as with color, smells tells you nothing about the condition of an oil. There are tests for that. 👍🏻

GL on your new vehicle!

I like the Valvoline 5W30 EP for a 4,000 mile / 4 month OCI winter fill - the rest of the year I'd use M1 10W30 (less VII , higher HTHS / HTFS per @Gokhan) with a Fram Ultra for the first year ( changing oil 3 times) - that is if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond the warrantee period , after the loan is paid off , etc ... Unless you drive mostly interstates at constant high speeds I would stay the course with the Ecoboost 2.0 severe service schedule using one of the oils here mentioned and a Fram Ultra oil filter . The average American now keeps a new vehicle in excess of 10 years now - remember Ford and other auto makers want that vehicle ownership time cut in half so they can sell you another vehicle !. While Valvoline 5W30 EP is a great oil for EP 5W30 2b) Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Since the Ecoboost 2.0 in your Maverick is a GDI engine : Run top tier fuel in it , every other oil change spray CRC Intake Valve Cleaner through the intake manifold to keep intake valve deposits under control and change out the PCV valve every 40K miles . Lastly , a good interstate run every few weeks and keep a regularly applied coat of Turtle Wax Seal & Shine on the truck exterior (especially in a Northern climate) ... Best wishes for your new purchase.

Since you are in a cold climate, a quality synthetic 5W-30 will provide all the protection your engine needs. However, as you have already noticed, fuel dilution and the related oil contamination (evaporated fuel components)(carbon, particulates and other combustion by products) can be an issue with modern engines.

In the Ecoboost trucks, it's known that by 4000 miles, the oil is well on it's way to becoming contaminated and by 5000 miles, it's time to change it. Going 10K is simply subjecting the engine to 5000 miles of fully contaminated oil. It's no surprise some have timing chain failures before 100K and others get 400K plus miles.

150k miles on our 2.0 ecoboost bought it at 17k miles and ran nothing but amsoil in it until recent where it had a run of valvoline EP and now the current fill of HPL PCMO 5w40. Car has always been ran to the oil change monitor with most OCIs going upward of 15k +/- miles and we’ve had zero issues with the vehicle

150k miles on our 2.0 ecoboost bought it at 17k miles and ran nothing but amsoil in it until recent where it had a run of valvoline EP and now the current fill of HPL PCMO 5w40. Car has always been ran to the oil change monitor with most OCIs going upward of 15k +/- miles and we’ve had zero issues with the vehicle
Most people are unaware that higher viscosity oils do a great job combating the wear caused by fuel dilution and particulate contamination. "IF" one wants to do extended OCI's, it's always a good idea to pick a robust oil.

Just curious since you always did extended drains. Did you always use heavy weight 5w40 or did use what the manual specified when it was newer (less miles)

Only 1 vehicle that I have ever owned or worked on regularly (probably 20 in total) has ever had a gas smell when changing the oil. 2000 4.0 SOHC Ford Explorer, sold it around 120k miles. Still ran great but i remember always wondering why the oil had a strong gas smell. It was every oil change for years.

FWIW, every oil change I’ve ever done smelled strongly of gasoline, and not even UOAs that went to someplace that used GC for fuel % ever showed more than ~1.2% or so. Just as with color, smells tells you nothing about the condition of an oil. There are tests for that. 👍🏻

GL on your new vehicle!
Mine never smells like gas on either of our vehicles. It does smell like combustion byproducts but nothing like raw gasoline. We do live in Texas and other than the grocery store (2.9 miles) most of our trips are 20 minutes or more as we live in an exurban area so the oil should get good and hot on a regular basis.

I also have a 2.0 maverick. I’m at 32K and have done oil changes every 5-7.5K and have done one oil sample at 7.5 interval and they stated fuel was a tad high and dropped the viscosity the a hair under a 30 but was nothing to worry about. That I believe was on pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w30. I was doing 96 miles a day round trip to work almost 500 miles a week. Just moved closer and am now down to 150 miles a week and am gonna start doing 5K intervals with Napa full synthetic.

I also have a 2.0 maverick. I’m at 32K and have done oil changes every 5-7.5K and have done one oil sample at 7.5 interval and they stated fuel was a tad high and dropped the viscosity the a hair under a 30 but was nothing to worry about. That I believe was on pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w30.
Platinum starts out on the thinner side of 30 grade so not surprising.

Most ILSAC GF 6 oils struggle maintaining 30 grade in an EcoBoost.

I had asked in another thread on using mobil 1 esp 0w30 in a new ford EcoBoost 2.0 cause I thought it seemed like a good fit. Well, that seemed to spark a lot of discussion. I took the advice of the well established members and stuck with an oil that meets fords spec. I hope I chose wisely. I went with Valvoline extended 5w30 cause of the additives and oil specs. I figured since it has a lot of moly it might be good for a new engine.
The oil I drained out really smelled like strong gas so I'm guessing it was good to get the early change done and probably should stick with 5k max changes. ill do 4200 miles on this to get me to 5k on the odometer and change every five thousand. I hope that will be good on the 2.0 EcoBoost.
I just got a new maverick yesterday and it too has the 2.0 EcoBoost.
unless you guys say otherwise ill do that one early with the Valvoline extended 5w30 too. At five thousand on each maybe I'll switch to something else. I'm open to advice for the EcoBoost.
thank you for all the help
It’ll work

I'd like to see a UOA of your latest 15k OCI....... from anywhere but Blackstone.
Aren't you curious what your dilution level is @ 15k?

Valvoline EP carries more Calcium (1500) (not a friend of carbon) than-that of Mobil-1 EP or Castrol EP (sub1000).
Magnesium gets a boost with Castrol and Mobil. Plus Mobil-1 base oil is said to be better using Natural Gas method.

I ran Valvoline EP in 2020 and 2021. Not anymore, even thou my engine ran silk-smooth and quiet on it. When the product was sold to overseas Saudi Arabia, I chose taking a vacation from using it. I buy my oil from manufacturers that treat both genders equally.

My grandson agrees and will switch his Colorado 4X4 back to Castrol this spring.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a UOA of your latest 15k OCI....... from anywhere but Blackstone.
Aren't you curious what your dilution level is @ 15k?
Well you know using expensive oil makes everything better. Magically an engine known of fuel dilution no longer dilutes and an engine that ticks no longer ticks. Sticks and stones may break my bones but expensive oil I know enough to leave alone.

Ha-Ha Rogie,

Don't tell Pablo, but my wife's Kia 2.0 MPI engine still sounds like a sewing machine with Amsoil Euro 0w30..... and Quaker State Euro 5w40 prior to that sounded like a 1969 Royal typewriter.

That engine is strange. Thicker eliminates consumption, but engine noise level increases. I'm waiting to see if a bag of marbles show up this spring. Mobil-1 Euro 0w40 sounds best in it and when I shake the new five quart jug, no marbles are inside it..

Last edited:
Platinum starts out on the thinner side of 30 grade so not surprising.

Most ILSAC GF 6 oils struggle maintaining 30 grade in an EcoBoost.
What would be a better thicker 30 weight then? I got Napa full syn 530 in it rn and 2 more jugs to go through.

Back