1999 Rodeo oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Rodeo that consumes 1 quart every 1K. Thinking about putting in Rotella T 15W-40 with 1 quart MMO. Manual calls for any oils between 5W-30 and 20W-50. I live in Tampa, FL so always pretty hot here. I feel the engine needs to be cleaned up also. It has 108,000 miles on it. What you'll think about this next oil choice for my oil change?

Cleanup is likely needed, but use a cheap HM oil with plenty of cleaning additives to cut down on the oil loss (at short intervals for two changes?) with a good filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujobob
Cleanup is likely needed, but use a HM oil to cut down on the oil loss. Use a good filter.

Thanks for your reply.

I have QS Defy in it right now for the last 3K and still lost oil. Last oil change I used Gunk Engine flush and the oil came out blacker then black. I just checked the oil today and it is really black. Just thinking about stepping up the viscosity to the next level to see if that helps with the consumption. But with the MMO it most likely will turn the 15W-40 into a 10W-30. anyway. Oil pan hold 5 quarts. So 1 gallon SRT 15W-40 and 1 quart MMO.

I agree with your idea of Rotella 15-40 for a few cheap and short OCI. I don't think the MMO will hurt, but I don't know if I would use it. I have used it before, but think the Rotella may do a decent cleaning job.

Sorry, rushed through my reply at the time. I don't personally believe MMO will help clean anymore than just stepping up to a good oil with seal conditioners in it that also cleans.

This will be my first time using MMO. I got the SRT at AAP for $11.99 a jug. Now I'm thinking I should just use the SRT and skip the MMO?

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
99 Rodeo that consumes 1 quart every 1K. Thinking about putting in Rotella T 15W-40 with 1 quart MMO. Manual calls for any oils between 5W-30 and 20W-50. I live in Tampa, FL so always pretty hot here. I feel the engine needs to be cleaned up also. It has 108,000 miles on it. What you'll think about this next oil choice for my oil change?

I think its a great idea! You could also try a piston soak if its not to bad pulling the plugs!
Keep us posted
thumbsup2.gif

This will be my first time using MMO. I got the SRT at AAP for $11.99 a jug. Now I'm thinking I should just use the SRT and skip the MMO?

Na try the mmo. I have used it many times and my truck still runs great. It wont harm anything. It can only help.

Well after many years of research the reason for the oil consumption is it is burning off oil due to the rings are the wrongs size from the factory and Isuzu will not do anything about it. That's why they are out of business and GM bought them out.

What's a piston soak?

Originally Posted By: electrolover

Na try the mmo. I have used it many times and my truck still runs great. It wont harm anything. It can only help.

A best case scenario for the MMO is that it does nothing.

This is an ideal case for a thicker oil - not one thinned out with MMO - to help curb some of the oil usage. VNG ML in the 10w-40 flavor is on sale at both AA and Amazon. I would try that.

A piston soak is where you pull the plugs and pour mmo down the cylinder. Put em back in while it sits over night and then pull em out and spin the engine over a few times to get the liquid back out and then put it all back together.

It soaks the rings and cleans them. It can help if you have stuck rings.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: electrolover

A best case scenario for the MMO is that it does nothing.

This is an ideal case for a thicker oil - not one thinned out with MMO - to help curb some of the oil usage. VNG ML in the 10w-40 flavor is on sale at both AA and Amazon. I would try that.

Heck if all he needs is thicker oil fill it up with lucas or motor honey. But he wants to clean his engine and mmo will help in that department. And it may help with consumption afterward.

Last edited:
Well after many years of research the reason for the oil consumption is it is burning off oil due to the rings are the wrongs size from the factory

Never heard of that and I used to be very active on a busy 1998-2004 Isuzu Rodeo board. I owned a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4, 3.2L, Auto.

Poorly designed oil drain-back holes in the oil control ring land of the pistons was the cause back then IIRC. Oil couldn't drain back and got consumed in the combustion chamber. Thicker oil will help. Many went with 15w40. Piston soaks thru the sparkplug holes can also help with the 1998+ 3.2's.

These are very tough engines provided you don't run them low on oil. They will spin the #1 con rod bearing if run very low on oil.

To the OP, also make sure the EGR outlet pipe is free and clear. If you hold the throttle plate open with a rag or glove, you should be able to see the pipe in the upper intake plenum w/ a flashlight. Sometimes they plug at the EGR mount base as well. You can roto-root the passage with a copper wire or the likes.

Joel

Last edited:
I've used Lucas Oil Conditioner which is thick as jelly and the oil consumption continued. It's a 5 quart oil pan and when I noticed the oil consumption back in 2002 I was running on only 2 quarts of oil. This is the 3.2 V6 engine ran from 1998 to 2002. I think after 2002 a new V6 engine was used I'm not sure. If I put the MMO in the fuel won't that coat the top of the pistons like it says?

Thanks for your input Electro and JTK.

If you have an old engine with a high oil consumption and you add a can of solvents and detergents it can result in oil leaks because the varnish deposits helping the oil seals and gaskets to function get dissolved.
The best thing to do is to change to a major brand HM oil, as they contain enough detergents to help clean up the engine and seal conditioners to stop any leaks developing. The first OCI on a new HM oil should be kept fairly short.

Yeah it helps in the fuel but its not as concentrated then. A piston soak is actually best.
If you just wanna try to clean the rings with fuel adds then look for one with pea like gumout high mileage or chevron techron or redline fuel system cleaner. But a piston soak would be best out of all these options if possible.

Another option would be adding kreen to your gas and oil. But its a special order thing.

As far as oil goes
I would just run the rotella and mmo and then stick with rotella after that. It will clean it up and should lower consumption.

Since you live in Florida, I would definately run a 10w40 HM oil for the cleaning and additives....had a Land Rover with 80K miles with oil consumption pretty much like your Rodeo..was using Mobile 1 5w30 from new.....Land Rover mechanic with 30plus years with Land Rover told me to get tha Mobile syn out of there an put a conventional HM oil in...started using Penzoil 10w40HM and my oil consumption went away.....at 180K miles when I traded it, it was only using 1/2 quart every 4000 mile oil change.......

...This is the 3.2 V6 engine ran from 1998 to 2002. I think after 2002 a new V6 engine was used I'm not sure.

This particular Isuzu 3.2L DOHC was used from 1998-2004. 2004, the last year for true Isuzu USA passenger vehicles, offered the 3.2L or a direct injected 3.5L.

They really did some innovative stuff that no-one really knew about. 2000+ 3.2's had electronic throttle control and Ion sensing coil-over, coil packs. Very few vehicles had this type of stuff then. The 2004 3.5L had DI. That was brand-new technology for this realm of vehicle back then. How about the Vehicross or Axiom? There's a zillion copy cats of that style vehicle on the road today, yet those Isuzu models totally flopped because of the horrendously poor marketing and dealer network. I miss my Rodeo. It was a great vehicle.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wings1
Since you live in Florida, I would definately run a 10w40 HM oil for the cleaning and additives....had a Land Rover with 80K miles with oil consumption pretty much like your Rodeo..was using Mobile 1 5w30 from new.....Land Rover mechanic with 30plus years with Land Rover told me to get tha Mobile syn out of there an put a conventional HM oil in...started using Penzoil 10w40HM and my oil consumption went away.....at 180K miles when I traded it, it was only using 1/2 quart every 4000 mile oil change.......

Good info I may try this. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: JTK
...This is the 3.2 V6 engine ran from 1998 to 2002. I think after 2002 a new V6 engine was used I'm not sure.

This particular Isuzu 3.2L DOHC was used from 1998-2004. 2004, the last year for true Isuzu USA passenger vehicles, offered the 3.2L or a direct injected 3.5L.

They really did some innovative stuff that no-one really knew about. 2000+ 3.2's had electronic throttle control and Ion sensing coil-over, coil packs. Very few vehicles had this type of stuff then. The 2004 3.5L had DI. That was brand-new technology for this realm of vehicle back then. How about the Vehicross or Axiom? There's a zillion copy cats of that style vehicle on the road today, yet those Isuzu models totally flopped because of the horrendously poor marketing and dealer network. I miss my Rodeo. It was a great vehicle.

Joel

It seems this 3.2 V6 was a flop from the start. I bought this 99 brand new with 0 miles on it from the dealer. The only problem is the oil consumption and I hate the fact that it does not have a tranny dipstick. Engine is still strong with plenty of power just a rough idle. I'm gonna keep this thing till the engine completely blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back