Oil advice please for a Rodeo that consumes oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 Engine with 98,000 miles on it. I live in Florida and it consumes a quart of oil every 800 miles. The engine still runs smooth and powerful just consumes a lot of oil. Isuzu is aware of this issue and has done nothing about it for years. Vehicle has no external leaks at all. So my guess is it's burning it off. I run 10W-30 and ran Super Tech 15W-40 to see if that helps stop consuming oil and it didn't. Should I just try a 20W-50 or Rotella 15W-40? My owners manual states the following oils for my vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5W-30
10W-30 Preferred by Isuzu
30W
15W-40
20W-40
20W-50

If 15w-40 didn't curb the consumption, then you're just plain out of luck. The only way to fix is mechanically - either through valve seals/guides or replacing the rings, over-boring to correct out of round cylinders etc...

Try a high mileage PCMO 10W-40 for a couple of OCI'S see if this slows this down. Also what is the cause for the consumption? Does Isuzu have a reason why?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Try a high mileage PCMO 10W-40 for a couple of OCI'S see if this slows this down. Also what is the cause for the consumption? Does Isuzu have a reason why?

This has gone on for years. Isuzu admitted that the piston rings were installed incorrectly but has done nothing to correct the problem. So us 1998-2001 Rodeo V6 owners just have to live with it which I think is [censored]. The engine is still quiet, smooth and powerful just loves to consume oil.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
try a high mileage oil a lot of time that works

I've tried HM 10W-30 many times and it doesn't slow the rate down.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If theres a mechanical problem such as rings installed wrong no oil is going to fix that.

True, just thought maybe a thicker oil would slow it down.

If you want to curb the oil consumption try Mobil 1 10W-40 HM as said above or even Mobil 15W-50.

I personally however, would just keep buying the cheapest 10W-30 or 10W-40 (your Supertech sounds like a great choice!) and let it burn.

3 bucks or so every 800 miles is nothing when factored into the operating cost of a vehicle. I'd worry that moving up to a 50 weight might cause it to become sluggish and/or not be able to lubricate certain parts properly, which would be more of a concern to me that having oil blowing past the rings.

I'd change the spark plugs more regularly as well (they're cheap :!) Maybe 20k on a set at the most.

And remember that all of that oil buring is going to kill the cat(s). Those will cost more that the vehicle is worth to replace (I know this with the Daughter's ex-98 Ford)

No oil is going to fix a mechanical issue. I'd figure out what its going to cost to FIX it or get ready for the junk yard.

Hopefully you don't have emission tests every year. Fail one and it stinks what hoops they have you do if you want to keep it running on the road.

Good luck! Bill

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Originally Posted By: Chris142
If theres a mechanical problem such as rings installed wrong no oil is going to fix that.

True, just thought maybe a thicker oil would slow it down.

A 20W-50 MAY get you a couple hundred extra miles...

Thanks for the advice guys. Bill we don't have vehicle inspections in Florida so I'm good in that area. I have 3 jugs of Rotella T 15W-40 laying around for use in my 09 FZ6R. So I'll try that first and see what happens.

Sm00thpapa - I too have a rodeo, only mine is ithe 97 3.2L V6 engine; mine does not burn oil, never has.....I have 205k miles. Still runs new, and I wouldn't trade anything for it.

Not even a newer rodeo....sorry!

For some reason, Isuzu thought it best to create a dohc engine off the 93-97 3.2L design, thus giving you the 98-03 3.2L dohc engine.

This 2nd gen engine was good from 00-03 when they stopped producing them; but the first 2yrs of the design, the 98-99yrs, were terrible. Known for clogged oil passages, blown #1 cylinder and cracked head gaskets.

Numerous 3.2L dohc engine owners are finding Rotella 5w-40 to be a superb oil for their engines with great results.

I've recently switched to QS HM 5w-30 in my rodeo, but I don't have the same engine issues you 2nd gen owners do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back