1998 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our '96 Civic LX got T-Boned the other day and is a total loss. Fortunately, my daughter was not hurt, but I'm looking to replace the Civic. I told a dealer friend of mine to be looking for a '98 or so Camry. Hopefully, that's not one of the sludge monster engines. Please let me know if there are any problems with that model Camry.
Thanks,
Rainman

Hi. I have a '97 Camry LE 4-Cyl that I bought new. The bad news is that the '97 - '01 Camry engines are the sludgers. The V6 is worse than the 4-Cyl, but they both tend to sludge. As I understand it, there are 3 design problems with these engines that make them prone to sludge. The head runs extremely hot for lower emissions, the PCV system is weak, and the small oil passages run right over combustion chamber. All of these cause the oil to break-down fairly soon. Before you buy this car, I strongly suggest that you remove the valve cover and look inside. In my opinion and experience, short oil-change intervals with Conventional oil or the use of Synth oil will help ensure a clean engine. I think my engine was on the verge of sludging with conventional oil in the summer traffic, and I changed it every 3 months (~2500 miles) for 7 years. I now use Mobil1 5W-30 in my engine and it stands up to the heat pretty well.

Otherwise, you will probably find the car to be quite nice.

You can use the Sludge Issue as a price negotiating advantage - everyone knows it.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

My '00 camry 2.2L with 100,000km has no signs of sludge. I change oil every 5,000km. If you are worried, request to open up the valve cover for inspection.

-

Thankfully your daughter was not hurt.
I think the v6 is more of a problem child.
We have owned a '99 v6 since new.
Now my daughter drives it.
It has never gone much over 3k oci.
Has 84k mostly city miles.
Found ARX and Bitog in the 40-50k range.
I use HD oils as climate allows .ARX 3oz dose.
I clean out the TB at least twice a year.
It gets really nasty compared to the other Toyotas in the fleet.
I'd go four cyl if I had a choice.
No timing belt.

quote:

I'd go four cyl if I had a choice.
No timing belt.

Not sure what you mean here. Your V6 has no timing belt ?
The 4-cyl does have a timing belt. I take care of one for a friend. I had tried to get her to see about a new timing belt at 60,000 miles, and her Shop told her it wasn't due until 90,000. I think right there-- that model -- is when Toyota changed. Gates' site says 90,000 now also.

I don't think I want to do the Belt replacement ... she's at about 80,000 now.

It is a non-interference belt though.

I can chime in here.

I have a 98 Camry 4cyl. Bought it new in 98 with 0 miles on it.

Now over 160K and I have had nothing but good things to say about it.

Other than routine maintenance (oil, brakes, tune up, one timing belt change, one battery, one alternator) we have done nothing but put gas in it.

If its a sludger, I must have gotten lucky. Usually do 3-5K OCIs with whatever oil is on sale. I am on my 2nd ARX treatment and haven't noticed any sludge removal so far. Only effect ARX has made on my car is the quieting of the valve chatter. Toyota says I should have the valve clearance adjusted every so often. As of yet, I haven't done it.

I would highly recommend the car to anyone. Just make sure you don't pay more for it just because its a Toyota.

In my family fleet, we also have a 97 model AMERICAN (yes, the worst of the worst if you listen to this crowd much) car that I paid $1000 for and have done nothing to it in 60K miles.

So, in short, just make sure the math adds up.

I helped a friend evaluate a used 2000 Camry LE with the V6 engine that he was thinking of buying. It had 117K on it, and appeared to have been taken care of at least averagely. It was a one owner dealer trade in. We changed the oil & caught a sample to have it analyzed. I had Blackstone do the analysis & Terry Dyson give his professional opinion. Bottom line - engine was very healthy, with no sludge indicators.

Hard for me to figure this Toyota sludge issue out. I've read enough to know it's a real problem, yet I see many stories, like ones posted here, who have these sludge prone engines for years and well over 100K with no problems.

thanks for the advice guys. Found a '97 Camry that was in very good shape, although high mileage at 174K. Just took it to friend's shop and had them do timing belt, water pump, one drive axle, turn rotors and alignment. He said it should be good for another 100k as long as I change the oil. Of course, he didn't know I was a regular BITOGer, so that will not be an issue. Planning to use Havoline synthetic 10w-30 for a couple of changes and then probably a couple of ARX treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back