1987 Mustang 5.0 - Performance engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

My good friend bought a Mustang 5.0 with a built motor, bored .30 over, bigger injectors, fuel rail, headers, ignition, larger intake, etc...

The previous owner put new synthetic oil in right before he parked it, and it was parked and started periodically for a couple years.

We are going to change the oil but are unsure of what the best oil to use is? I knew of this forum from when I had a TDI Jetta and thought I should ask you guys your opinion
smile.gif

What's the best oil to use for a slightly modified N/A performance 5.0 Engine?

Thanks!

I would just use a name brand xw30, or xw40 oil. Maybe with the A3/B4 rating. You don't need to find anything with higher than average zinc as this should be a roller motor.

PYB 10w30 is what I ran in the last one I owned. I have owned a few 5.0 Fords over the years. Great little engines.

Most people think "put fresh oil in it before starting".

That's the wrong approach. Run the engine for while with the old oil, at least until it is up to temperature. That will rinse off any loose gunk and suspend it in the oil or the filter.

As far as a suitable oil for a three decade old engine design, anything that meets current standards will be far better than the typical oils of that era.

Valvoline VR1 is good stuff for performance. It comes in either syn or conventional. It's designed to handle both street and track use and is very well regarded on these boards from what I've seen.
Mobil 1 15W-50 is another race inspired high performance oil option as well.

It's impossible to say which oil is "the best" anymore, they're all excellent. Even the cheap, no name brands you find at bargain stores is better than the oils that were around when your car was new so your engine will love just about any of the modern stuff out there you try.

Last edited:
I had a twin turbo 700+ HP Mustang drag car, I always ran Rotella T6 5W-40 in it with no issues.

HDEO is GREAT in Performance small blocks.
Rotella T5 10W-30 ("semi-syn" is on sale at O'Reily's for only $15 gallon. ($10 if you do the $5 rebate online)
and is easily capable of handling a mild boosted engine (much more a plain ol' N/A engine)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I had a twin turbo 700+ HP Mustang drag car, I always ran Rotella T6 5W-40 in it with no issues.

Rotella T5 10W-30 ("semi-syn" is on sale at O'Reily's for only $15 gallon. ($10 if you do the $5 rebate online)
and is easily capable of handling a mild boosted engine (much more a plain ol' N/A engine)

What he said
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I'm all about some Rotella T6 5W-40. Sure, my 5.0 isn't the same as this 5.0, mine is a flat tappet cam 5.0 EFI in an '86 F-150, but I've ran it in there for years, now, and have been really hard on the engine, whether it's from 4x4 fun in the mud (or even no mud in the fields), or pulling and hauling mulch or firewood, to just winding out 2nd and 3rd here and there... I believe it's held up well due to the oil. Doesn't even smoke.

Thanks guys, I will recommend Rotella 5w40, that sounds like a great choice!

The car has been run and driven on the current oil for maybe 50km, so it's nice time for an oilchange!

Should he bother getting a Ford filter, or just get a good aftermarket?

I only ask because he probably won't put 5k a year on it, likely less than half of that, so it won't be changed often enough to worry about saving $$$ on oil changes
smile.gif

Last edited:
I stick Motorcraft filters on everything because I find them to be good quality and overall a good value. I think from tear-downs they are a Purolator Pure-One, although I know OEMs can change and I haven't checked recently.

BTW, I'll add another vote for VR-1 for this engine. It's really a great oil across its entire range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back