1982 Kawasaki KZ550C3 clutch release grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am replacing the clutch release bearing and ramp. 1982 KZ550C3. I was using Sil Glyde brake lube for this. Is wheel bearing grease a better choice?

The KZ forums recommend wheel bearing grease.

Your name is sending me for a loop. Seriously? Does it mean what I think it means? (that is, the conventional meaning for that phrase....)

A good synthetic grease is an excellent choice for your app BTW.

Sil Glyde is a great lubricant for o-rings or anything that needs a hand being installed that you don't want to rip or tear.The balls and ramp in your clutch will get alot of movement when the bike is being operated, so you want to use something that acts like a lubricant for long term use.Like MD grease.,,

I have a 1978 KZ650 with 167,000 miles on it and I've never lubed the clutch release yet. It's a grimey mess under the cover from chain lube that lubes everything more than enough.

The clutch release ramp keeps skipping. 20,000 miles and It it heavily worn. The balls jump out letting the whole release rotate eliminating all tension in the cable.

Disassemble the clutch housing and inspect the slotted screw to ensure it is not stripped. There is a nut that threads onto the slotted screw for adjustment. Look at the bearing and the release cam and make sure nothing is worn to the point that adjustment is ineffective. These old LTD 550's had fantastic engines so I'm suspecting you simply have some worn components making the assembly out of specification.

Nut - 8mm (shouldn't need to be replaced unless it boogered)
slotted screw - 92009-1009 (possibly stripped)
clutch release cam - 13119-1003 (possibly worn)
clutch release bearing - 14020-1091 (inspect for worn balls)
clutch release mechanism - 13102-1008 (check integrity of this part. This is the part that the cable pulls on and it's possible that the weld on the arm is broken.)

And lastly, pull the pushrod out and make sure it's not bent. There is a single ball inside of the clutch at the end of the pushrod that takes up slack where the pushrod pushes against the clutch spring backing plate. Look inside and make sure this ball is in there. If it's missing (and they do go missing) then the whole assembly can't be adjusted.

The ball is in place. #92009, 13119, and #92045 are fine. #13102 is worn and my dealer tells me this is discontinued.

That thing looks horrid. Personally I'd try Ron Ayers in North Carolina and see if they can get the part or locate one. The dealer network has a few shops that buy up old stock and will have discontinued parts on hand. You can also try places like "Z1" at z1enterprises dot com to see if they can help you locate that piece.

You can also put in an e-mail to Kawasaki to see if they can steer you toward a dealership that might have old stock on hand.

I'll look around and see if I can locate one. I still have a few friends in the industry who might have a box stashed somewhere with some goodies in it.

One last thing is to make sure that the clutch cable is lubed and in good working order.

That part number showed up at only one dealer in the US. Give them a call and get their e-mail address and see if you can send them a photo of the part for verification.

phone 406-727 8566
Sport City Cyclery in Montana.

They list the part but I'm not sure that the piece they have in stock is the right one. You'll have to verify.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much for your help and research. I have a new clutch cable.

This is the first part I have had trouble finding. Kawasaki appears to support their products longer than Honda. There is so many items I need for my Magna that are factory discontinued with no aftermarket alternatives.

Just to touch base, the parts manager says that they do have that specific part. The price is $40.64.

If you need it you might want to go ahead and get it. It was the only one listed in the entire United States on Kawasaki's Lightspeed Inventory tracking software.

parts at sportscitycyclery dot com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back