Converting heavy truck steer axle from grease to oil bath .. 18k Rockwell ~1992 vintage

Hello everyone!

I recently swapped front axles in a dump truck. The new (used) axle had greased bearings. I swapped the covers and filled with gear oil, thinking after a couple days I'd pull the hubs and clean out thinned grease and potentially replace the seals.

Is this a terrible idea?

A grease bearing is the same as a oiled bearing I assumed. Atleast for wheel bearings of this vintage. Maybe a different seal, but figured was probably a normal wheel seal.

Thanks for reading

Typically the grease seal for the hub will be the same regardless of the lube. However, it's really uncommon to pack bearings on that type of axle, even 1992. It could be the axle was submerged in water, the spindle is worn enough that it won't seal properly or the bearings were worn and the last owner tried to get by with grease rather than a proper repair. I would pull the hubs, clean and inspect everything, replace the seals and run the bearings in gear oil.

Just my $.02 based on 35 years as a diesel mechanic. Your truck, you get to pick.

Typically the grease seal for the hub will be the same regardless of the lube. However, it's really uncommon to pack bearings on that type of axle, even 1992. It could be the axle was submerged in water, the spindle is worn enough that it won't seal properly or the bearings were worn and the last owner tried to get by with grease rather than a proper repair. I would pull the hubs, clean and inspect everything, replace the seals and run the bearings in gear oil.

Just my $.02 based on 35 years as a diesel mechanic. Your truck, you get to pick.
i packed the bearings in my old pete because it sat so much the seals leaked. didnt drive it enough to have to worry about wear.

It was factory grease I believe. Has Ford part numbers on solid steel caps.

The truck worked at a remote airport in Alaska. The company may have special ordered grease for cold resistance? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe they were having trouble breaking the windows on oil hub caps?

Low miles. Springs and king pins are in great shape. Hope it's not burned out spindles!

find out when I scoop the grease.

Back