1970 Monte Carlo oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know speedway motors is selling 496 stoker ones for a decent price. They are not too wild. Honestly one of the best big blocks I ever saw was a 427 chevy bored .060 over. Had plenty of power, got decent fuel economy, and ran as well as any 454, but was more manageable on the street.

I'm probably a long way off from having to buy another engine since I only have about 18,000 miles on this rebuild and that is since 1997. I would like to drive the car more but it needs new tires which still have great tread but they are from 1990 and have a few cracks from age. Plus the other day I had a coolant leak on top of the engine so I have to figure out where that is coming from. I just had the intake gaskets replaced 600 miles ago. I hope its just from some of the intake bolts that were slightly loose.

Of course gas mileage is not the best but what can you expect from a BB. Its a fun car anyway.

Wayne

Big blocks are just fun. Gas mileage in a first gen Monte wont be great no matter what, its not exactly light or aerodynamic. They are cool cars though. If I was not jonesing for a 67 Impala, Id probably get one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back