184K mi Toyota 3RZ-FE w/M1 internal pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: prax
Max, maybe you could show us some internal pics of your 2.2L for comparison.

Last ones I've taken are still somewhere around here. I don't plan to have the valve cover off for a long time yet, all leaks are fixed and shes filled with Redline 0w10 (and some MaxLife 5w20). I can tell you there were plenty of recently dissolved layers of varnish from dino and low-grade Gr3 synthetics it's had throughout it's life, but the camshafts exhibited absolutely no impact marks or irregular wear. Even now on the POE 10 grade oil, the valvetrain is quieter than some EC 5w30's!

Well, after zooming the last pic and looking at the IVA test, looks like a wear step to me, and thats a fail. Question is, is that normal at 184k miles?

How many "miles" is IVA good for?

Is that not a wear step?? Does not look as smooth as the IVA PASS, to me. Looks like a small cliff.

valvecover5.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, after looking at that...

Im always learning new stuff here!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
So let me get this straight. If the lobes were scratched/gouged or showing any signs of wear of course someone will come say M1 is garbage. Now if they're polished someone complains too, and without one measurement assumes wear issues?

If this is what you expected, or this was surprisingly good, that makes sense to me. To see these pics and have something bad to say about M1 makes me wonder if you basically showed up to say something negative regardless of the pics.

There are a lot of people here that must sell oil or have some vindetta and must find something to grip about M1.In My 31 years with M1, that oil has shown me the same results as these pictures. A month ago someone posted the Ford 4.6 pics and they were the same as these. Spotless.

Same accusation could be made of you. Without fact, all we get is the 31 years comment.

I'd like an answer from someone who knows (Ive already asked Terry to look).

1) Is this a wear step?

2) If so, is it acceptable for 184k or not?

I do not know, so I'd like a good answer. Goes to the higher Iron/Cam wear thing again....

Thats not a wear step. It's reflection from something above. A wear step would be running with the lobe not across it.

Its funny, but I did not notice that on my original pictures until I saw the zoomed picture. Now its as plain as day. Funny how that works.

Ok, I can see its different there, from the IVA test.

I still gotta say, when blown up, if you look inside the rodd box on the right hand side, its worn down more on the edge as opposed to moving in towards the middle. If you go from bottom to top, where this right hand edge where starts, it looks like it leads up to a ridge, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Thats not a wear step. It's reflection from something above. A wear step would be running with the lobe not across it.

There looks to be a small strip with the lobe on the right side

You can't tell a worn part like this except to measure it. Everything you have said is speculation. Rumor mill at it's best.

From bottom arrow to top:

1)Starts what appears to be an edge mark (not as shiny)

2)Continues edge mark

3) Looks like a grove, with a damaged area in the groove

4) Looks like a ridge to me

valvecover5-1.jpg

You can't tell a worn part like this except to measure it. Everything you have said is speculation. Rumor mill at it's best.

I dont think you need to measure that to say its uneven wear.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite

I dont think you need to measure that to say its uneven wear.

I think you need a better picture before drawing any conclusions. This doesn't look like the "trench" that appears in the SEQ-IVA test, and 184,000 miles is a LOT more than 100 hours.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
Thats all Im wondering. Is this good for 184k miles?

No idea, all my valvetrains are roller.

But the SEQ-IVA test is based on 100 hours. The results you see in the test pics, are 100 hour results.

This is 184,000 miles. They cannot be compared.

Of course not, thats why I said I didnt have any hard data just photos and a few second hand datum points to which point I apologized for. Never made it out to be anything more.

Cams are cast material. The only part of the lobe that is precision groung is the lobe surface, not each side of the lobe. I just checked the lobe on my Fusion and it's not ground on the sides of the lobe. As you have magnified the lobe many times it shows up as pits on each side of the lobe. Notice you can see the minor in fractions all the way down the lobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back