‘18 3.5 EcoBoost recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by noclutch

The PUP will be fine. Generally speaking, choose whatever brand you prefer that's readily available at a reasonable price. I'm not a fan of chasing sales and jumping from oil to oil.

Figured it wasn't a poor choice, but with Ford now recommending/spec-ing SN+ or B-1, figured they knew something that I should lpay attention to! And PUP ain't that spec. [/quote]

And dispite this it really does not matter if you want to use PUP.

A head full of useless knowledge hiding behind his computer screen once again is the only point I see happening here

Originally Posted by dave1251

The PUP will be fine. Generally speaking, choose whatever brand you prefer that's readily available at a reasonable price. I'm not a fan of chasing sales and jumping from oil to oil.

Figured it wasn't a poor choice, but with Ford now recommending/spec-ing SN+ or B-1, figured they knew something that I should lpay attention to! And PUP ain't that spec.

And dispite this it really does not matter if you want to use PUP.[/quote]

Thanks for the input. A couple things mentioned on the ‘13 EB reccomendation thread and PUP VOA caught my eye today...

"Ca is the leading indicator of LSPI vulnerability in turbo-DI engines.
https://www.infineuminsight.com/articles/passenger-cars/lspi-and-lubricant-auto-ignition/ for a deeper discussion, but Ca above about ~1500 ppm is mainly the thing to avoid."

F615656C-6FAF-434F-A39A-EC991D51BB88.jpeg

Last edited:
Figured it wasn't a poor choice, but with Ford now recommending/spec-ing SN+ or B-1, figured they knew something that I should lpay attention to! And PUP ain't that spec.

PUP is A5/B5, so that takes care of the B5 part for sure. If you want the SN+, the PP would fit the bill nicely.

Generally speaking, when it comes to LSPI, it's great to try to watch our choices and be cognizant, but this is something that's dependent on a number of variables, not least of which is the application itself. Unfortunately, I doubt that the most modern dexos1 oils will magically make LSPI go away.

PUP 5w-30 is API SN+ rated. I just got 30 quarts from Walmart and and all six jugs have the SN+ spec.

The 12 quarts of Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend I got last year for my 2.7EB work truck were also all SN+.

I haven't ran the PUP in my 3.5EB yet but I plan to start on the next oil change. I'll post a UOA of it afterwards. I usually run about 6,500 to 7,000 miles.

Last edited:
I guess my pup is older than than yours! LOL (oblique joke- I/we show, breed and sell "pups")

E16942A7-0B51-4317-A9F8-C0B942F24528.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is pretty recent. Date of 26DEC18 on at least one of the bottles. Since you showed me yours, I'll just go ahead and show you mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mdtaylor86
Mine is pretty recent. Date of 26DEC18 on at least one of the bottles.

The jug still shows the -A Ford spec, but Ford changed to the -B1 spec because of LSPI and SN Plus way before Dec 2018. Wonder why the jug doesn't show the Ford -B1 spec while it does show SN Plus?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The jug still shows the -A Ford spec, but Ford changed to the -B1 spec because of LSPI and SN Plus way before Dec 2018. Wonder why the jug doesn't show the Ford -B1 spec while it does show SN Plus?

Funny you mention that. I looked at lots of jugs on several store shelves today. Some said SNplus in the description but not on the API seal. Some " mentioned" Ecoboost in the verbiage. Occasional Magnatec label said SN+. The only one currently clearly labeled both SN+ AND B1 was RGT. Maybe the MC blend.

But I live in a backwater (Ocala Fl) which tends to be a little behind the times ...‚🙄

Funny you mention that. I looked at lots of jugs on several store shelves today. Some said SNplus in the description but not on the API seal. Some " mentioned" Ecoboost in the verbiage. Occasional Magnatec label said SN+. The only one currently clearly labeled both SN+ AND B1 was RGT. Maybe the MC blend.

But I live in a backwater (Ocala Fl) which tends to be a little behind the times ...‚🙄

The Motorcraft video says MC oil starting May 2018 will be the - B1 (SN Plus) spec.

So it seems strange that some of the other oil manufactures currently show "SN Plus" but still show the -A Ford spec on the bottle. Maybe just an oversight.

The Motorcraft video says MC oil starting May 2018 will be the - B1 (SN Plus) spec.

So it seems strange that some of the other oil manufactures currently show "SN Plus" but still show the -A Ford spec on the bottle. Maybe just an oversight.

I'm thinking it's probably just not caught up with that Ford spec yet. It does seem a little odd that they've gotten the SN+ rating but not the -B1 if that spec was introduced a while ago. I actually didn't even notice that on the bottle. When did they switch to the -B1 spec? My '18 F150 2.7EB still shows the -A spec in its manual. I also have no reason to believe Pennzoil (and every other manufacturer) will not be listing the -B1 spec in the near future.

Last edited:
Anyone care to comment on the PUP VOA on page 3, and significance of it's 2500 Ca?

Thought the test was done Jan 2019, maybe it was a pre-SN+ formulation??

Anyone care to comment on the PUP VOA on page 3, and significance of it's 2500 Ca?

I see a few possibilities. Either Pennzoil changed PUP's formulation and moved away from Ca in order to get the SN+ spec (which would explain why it wasn't initially considered "SN+ ready" like PP was), the SN+ criteria aren't as strict as we would hope to think they are in regards to preventing LSPI, or Ca isn't as big of a deal as that analysis would suggest in regards to LSPI events. Although the analysis does point out that LSPI events are quite complex and result from a multitude of factors which makes them difficult to reproduce in a lab.

Since I may be one of only a few people here who currently have access to SN+ PUP, I don't mind sending in a sample for VOA for the greater good...
cool.gif

I'm thinking it's probably just not caught up with that Ford spec yet. It does seem a little odd that they've gotten the SN+ rating but not the -B1 if that spec was introduced a while ago. I actually didn't even notice that on the bottle. When did they switch to the -B1 spec? My '18 F150 2.7EB still shows the -A spec in its manual. I also have no reason to believe Pennzoil (and every other manufacturer) will not be listing the -B1 spec in the near future.

Per the video I posted earlier (go to time 3:45), it said all Motorcraft oil made after May 1, 2018 would meet the Ford -B1 (SN Plus) spec. That's why it's strange that other oil makers still show the -A spec on the bottles that are 9+ months later from when Ford officially went to the -B1 spec.

Your 2018 F-150 owner's manual was probably finalized for print before then. Go to Ford's website and look for an updated PDF version of your owner's manual to see if they changed it to show the -B1 oil spec.

Originally Posted by normal_guy1

I'll comment, since I posted that VOA in Jan 2019. As was stated in that post, the purchase date was June 2018 and the Bottling date was March 2018.

Reference:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4990292/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-5w30

Thanks for chiming in guy1!
Per chance do you or anyone know as of which bottle date they presumably reduced their calcium from 2500 to what what might be required to meet SN+??

Per the video I posted earlier (go to time 3:45), it said all Motorcraft oil made after May 1, 2018 would meet the Ford -B1 (SN Plus) spec. That's why it's strange that other oil makers still show the -A spec on the bottles that are 9+ months later from when Ford officially went to the -B1 spec.

Your 2018 F-150 owner's manual was probably finalized for print before then. Go to Ford's website and look for an updated PDF version of your owner's manual to see if they changed it to show the -B1 oil spec.

You are correct. I just downloaded the updated manual released at the end of 2017 and it lists the B1 spec. That makes it even more odd that major oil manufacturers aren't listing it.

Noclutch, I sent in a VOA sample today on the PUP so we'll know in a week or two what kind of Ca the SN+ (but not Ford B1) formulation has in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back