17 Jetta SE observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
The traditional auto felt "spongy" while the DSG is very crisp and precise. For all the speed and smoothness, the DSG is still a dumb automatic gearbox. I am much better at determining when to shift and what gear to be in, based on all available information, something the car simply can't know.
grin2.gif

The additional benefit of auto/DSG on the GTI is that it helps mask turbo lag. I test drove a manual GTI a couple of years ago, and the lag was fairly apparent.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The traditional auto felt "spongy" while the DSG is very crisp and precise. For all the speed and smoothness, the DSG is still a dumb automatic gearbox. I am much better at determining when to shift and what gear to be in, based on all available information, something the car simply can't know.
grin2.gif

The additional benefit of auto/DSG on the GTI is that it helps mask turbo lag. I test drove a manual GTI a couple of years ago, and the lag was fairly apparent.

What model year was it? The EA888 that's in the MK 7 GTI starting with the 2015s has a LOT more low end torque, but if you are in the wrong gear for the road speed, it'll be doggy. I test drove a 2016 GTI manual, no lag that I could tell. I kept the RPMs near to 2K like it should be (except in lower gears where gear ratio helps out)

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid

I'm well-pleased so far. The little 1.4t pulls strongly even right off idle, and I don't need to rev its guts out to get forward motion like I might have feared.

Are you running premium or regular unleaded?

DSG or traditional auto?

EDIT: It's a DSG.

Are you sure? I thought only the 2.0 GLI model came with DSG.

http://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/9890/PDF/2017_VW_Jetta_order_guide.pdf

You're right. I checked VW's website and when it showed optional DSG for the Jetta, I didn't think it would be GLI only. This traditional auto is still an $1100 option (just as much as the DSG was).
crazy2.gif

I test drove the Golf 1.8T with 6-speed auto before test driving the GTI with 6-speed DSG. The traditional auto felt "spongy" while the DSG is very crisp and precise. For all the speed and smoothness, the DSG is still a dumb automatic gearbox. I am much better at determining when to shift and what gear to be in, based on all available information, something the car simply can't know.
grin2.gif

By the way the Golf Sportwagen 4motion 'automatic' is the DSG. With the 1.8T under the hood. Nice car.

What model year was it? The EA888 that's in the MK 7 GTI starting with the 2015s has a LOT more low end torque, but if you are in the wrong gear for the road speed, it'll be doggy. I test drove a 2016 GTI manual, no lag that I could tell. I kept the RPMs near to 2K like it should be (except in lower gears where gear ratio helps out)

It was a 2015. I kept the RPMs close to 3K. Still, when you take your foot off the gas pedal to shift gears, the turbo will have to re-spool, and thus lag. In an automatic, you just keep the gas pedal depressed at all times, so it's not noticeable.

Granted, my DD has an NA engine, so I'm probably more sensitive to turbo lag. Granted, the lag wasn't as bad as on my old A4 1.8T.

It was a 2015. I kept the RPMs close to 3K. Still, when you take your foot off the gas pedal to shift gears, the turbo will have to re-spool, and thus lag. In an automatic, you just keep the gas pedal depressed at all times, so it's not noticeable.

Granted, my DD has an NA engine, so I'm probably more sensitive to turbo lag. Granted, the lag wasn't as bad as on my old A4 1.8T.

I thought these were VGT, unlike the 1.8Ts?

The other thing the autos will do is downshift 1 to 3 gears depending on road speed, engine speed and right-pedal pressure.

Thanks.

I have not been able to find any info stating that current EA888 engine uses variable turbo geometry. But in any case, this technology helps widen the torque curve, but it won't necessarily eliminate turbo lag. The latest tech advancement to eliminate turbo lag is electric-assist turbo, which we might start seeing in some engines in the near future...

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-difference-between-an-electric-turbocharger-1795017793

Are you running premium or regular unleaded? [/quote]

87 octane unleaded from the Shell station on the corner. The sticker inside the fuel door only calls for 87. I asked the salesman, he suggested stepping up to 91 on alternating tanks.

The fuel economy meter apparently resets with the trip odometer, so I don't see a way to capture cumulative fuel economy. For instance, having driven 47 miles on surface streets, it's now reading 37.8 MPG. Once I get familiar with the car I won't watch it so carefully, it's curiosity more than anything.

The weird thing I have noticed with the Aisin transmission is these is that they neutral themselves at stop lights. A bit confusing at first.

Good to hear you are liking your Jetta! Looks like the 1.4t might be ok after all if you're not a complete speed demon. I loved the v-tex seats in my 08, especially since they were heated. Keep a good conditioner on it, mine did start to split on the side after the years. You'll most likely get used to the auto, if not there always is the manual option when the lease is up, lol.

I bought a bottle of 303 aerospace protectant for the V-Tex seats, hopefully judicious use of the protectant will keep the seats intact. I also try to watch the way I get in and out of ALL of my cars, to avoid damaging the upholstery. Nothing worse than crushed/worn/split seat bolsters.

So, here we are 30 days later. All is well, used about 1/2 qt of oil in 1000 miles, added Castrol Edge 0w40.

The low-RPM and midrange punch are terrific, but the 1.4 runs out of steam at higher RPMs. Reminds me of the 80s era BMW "eta" M20 inline six...lots of low end torque, low redline and not a whole lot of HP. I've never driven a VW TDI but I suspect I would see similarities in the way it behaves.

I like the car and "non-car-people" seem to think it's a lot more expensive than it is. I looked at the paperwork again, $18395 out the door.

Thanks for the update! It does seem odd it used 1/2qt of oil already. In my 2.0T before I changed the oil at 1400 miles it used nothing and now at 3K still nothing. You would think a higher performance engine would use some... Although from the beginning its seen moderate throttle and then high vacuum going up and down the mountains, might have been a good break-in.

Edit: What seems to be the fuel mileage you're getting?

Last edited:
Our '14 Accord used 3 qts in the first 3000 miles, and still uses a qt every 2500 miles give or take.

I'm not alarmed at a little use in a brand new engine, it happens. Things will settle in, and either it keeps using some or it doesn't...we shall see.

I'm getting around 30-31 MPG around town, haven't really done any highway driving to get a solid number. I'll be curious to see how the mileage changes in the fall when I don't run the A/C.

Finally took it on the interstate...100 miles or so, 72-75MPH with the A/C blasting in my face. It was getting an indicated 44 MPG, and showed a range of 620 miles between the trip odometer and the range-to-empty display. With a 14.5 gallon tank, that's a heck of a lot longer than I could go without a restroom/stretch/grab a snack break.

Just did a 450 mile trip yesterday with 2 adults on board...mostly I-71 with the a/c blasting and the cruise set at 78, the rest was rural 2 lanes and surface streets. Got an indicated 40.9 MPG, and hasn't used any oil since that initial 1/2 quart at the 1000 mile mark.

David, any further updates on your Jetta 1.4T?

I am researching something that could replace my aging 530i as a DD, be practical, relatively economical, yet not be a soul crushing appliance. Thinking of Golf Sportwagen, but not sure if the 1.4T engine would cut it for me. Might want the 1.8T instead or move up to the new Jetta GLI with the 2.0T. Undecided about transmission either. I am perfectly capable of shifting my own gears, but like I mentioned previously in this thread, automatic/DSG seems to be better at masking turbo lag. I guess I will need to drive all of them to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back