17 Jetta SE observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
David, any further updates on your Jetta 1.4T?

I am researching something that could replace my aging 530i as a DD, be practical, relatively economical, yet not be a soul crushing appliance. Thinking of Golf Sportwagen, but not sure if the 1.4T engine would cut it for me. Might want the 1.8T instead or move up to the new Jetta GLI with the 2.0T. Undecided about transmission either. I am perfectly capable of shifting my own gears, but like I mentioned previously in this thread, automatic/DSG seems to be better at masking turbo lag. I guess I will need to drive all of them to decide.

I'd be looking for a recent 3.6 Passat.

I am researching something that could replace my aging 530i as a DD, be practical, relatively economical, yet not be a soul crushing appliance. Thinking of Golf Sportwagen, but not sure if the 1.4T engine would cut it for me. Might want the 1.8T instead or move up to the new Jetta GLI with the 2.0T. Undecided about transmission either. I am perfectly capable of shifting my own gears, but like I mentioned previously in this thread, automatic/DSG seems to be better at masking turbo lag. I guess I will need to drive all of them to decide.

I'm biased but I have a 2015 Jetta with the Asian 6 speed and 1.8 and just love it . Now and then I put it in manual mode and get on it , I did it today , there wasn't a car insight , rural area . I was going 30 mpg put it manual mode and the indicator say 4th gear so I dropped it to 3rd got on it and it pulled hard to 90 mph then I backed off . I believe the rpm at that speed was 4200 .

Super nice looking V-dub!

My feeling is, this is why GM, Ford and FCA should be out of the car/sedan business. Leave it up to VW and everyone else.

Last edited:

[off-topic]
QP, didn't you had back problems a while back?

I think in the GSW/Alltrack world, the SEL seats than the Golf R seats are prefered...

P.S. PM user JOD..... or if you know his other name.....

P.S.2 : RoofLessVW is a former VW tech. you may want to get his cellphone...

Originally Posted by pandus13

[off-topic]

I think in the GSW/Alltrack world, the SEL seats than the Golf R seats are prefered...

No back problems.

My commute (if you can even call it that) is 3 miles one way, so great seats aren't critical, but it would be nice to have them.

I am basically looking for a cheap smaller econobox that is not super boring. The Passat 3.6 that roofless mentioned would be too much.

[/quote]

My commute (if you can even call it that) is 3 miles one way, so great seats aren't critical, but it would be nice to have them.

I am basically looking for a cheap smaller econobox that is not super boring. The Passat 3.6 that roofless mentioned would be too much.[/quote]

if you plan to keep it and thus can accept rapidly declining trade in values a cpo vw jetta or passat is very fine. my passat just passed 80k miles, regularly dealer serviced, no major issues other than a cel awhile ago and new tires. the passat gets 36 mpg hiway, 26 mpg suburban. it's very roomy inside but if i were looking for a tossable commuter not a sedate cruiser i would go with the jetta. having come from a couple of benzs i like to say that vw is a good 75% of the quintessential german driving feel at half the cost.

If your commute is only 3 miles one way it won't take long for a VW GDI engine to get carbon real bad . I'd make sure to get a vehicle that had dual Injectors . Short tripping does not make a VW happy .

The new GLI certainly has my attention. I've really enjoyed our '17 GTI. It's fun to drive and gets great fuel mileage, except I wish it had a trunk sometimes.

QP: I have always had manual transmissions, but the DSG really is better than the manual in the GTI. Just echoing your earlier thoughts, but I agree with you.

Originally Posted by pandus13

[off-topic]

No back problems.

I am basically looking for a cheap smaller econobox that is not super boring. The Passat 3.6 that roofless mentioned would be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back