15w40, diesel oil additive shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been word of additive shortages for the last year and a half for all finished lubricants. Rotella was almost non existent
for months. My local Wally World had a bunch of Rotella 15w40 and T6 but no Mobil1 0w20. It's been hit or miss for a while
on most oils. Truth is I no longer trust anyone or anything I see or hear on the internet. I service a bunch of diesel trucks and have yet
to run out. There were times that I couldn't find Rotella but used other spec'd brands.

The more interesting part is the comment section for me. I read the comment left my michael j which said

You can clean your engine oil by placing hemp rope in container and letting it clean the oil by dripping into container lower than dirty oil container,, will syphon out and the impurities are trapped in the hemp rope, this was done in the old days to conserve oil there's nothing wrong with the oil it just needs cleaning,

Is this a thing? I've never heard of it.

The reason they're not producing (much) Rotella right now is because it's not their cash cow nor remotely their biggest market. Jiffy Lube is their cash cow, by far the largest oil demand, and thus they get priority.

My understanding is that there isn't so much a shortage of the common additives, but rather a cost issue. The couple of additives I know are nearly impossible to get right now aren't used in Rotella or any API oils. Group II and III base oil prices have skyrocketed. The price for shipping those base oils has nearly doubled. With natural gas prices shooting up, the GTL base oils are becoming less attractive. It's either raise your prices and not be competitive on the Wally World shelf or slash production to just your biggest cash cow and try to ride out the storm.

I heard about this too online, but not from a reliable source, some video blogger who seems to have hoarding issues. According to him there are only two diesel oil additive manufacturers, and both are having problems with production. Sounds plausible.

I would think though that you could run a diesel fleet on gasoline oil as well, and substitute other additives. This would mostly be a problem for new trucks under warranty. For older trucks I'm guessing you can get away with it. And it would be no problemo for admixing make-up oil.

I guess if it really is a valid rumor and a serious issue, we'll hear about it in the news sooner or later.

I heard about this too online, but not from a reliable source, some video blogger who seems to have hoarding issues. According to him there are only two diesel oil additive manufacturers, and both are having problems with production. Sounds plausible.

I would think though that you could run a diesel fleet on gasoline oil as well, and substitute other additives. This would mostly be a problem for new trucks under warranty. For older trucks I'm guessing you can get away with it. And it would be no problemo for admixing make-up oil.

I guess if it really is a valid rumor and a serious issue, we'll hear about it in the news sooner or later.
🤔🤔🤔

I’m not sure I believe all this. My work has no trouble getting HDEO by the gallon jug or larger container sizes. Video “bloggers” are the last folks I’d ever believe. My 2cents

🤔🤔🤔

I’m not sure I believe all this. My work has no trouble getting HDEO by the gallon jug or larger container sizes. Video “bloggers” are the last folks I’d ever believe. My 2cents
They fill large totes where I work. A couple months ago they limited us to only 100gallons of 10w-30 but filled the 15w-40.

We seem to be having issues at my store getting enough Rotella HDEO to meet demand. Lots of farms in the area, and they buy up all we have when we get it in.

To me social media has a part. One person can't get an oil and posts about it and WAM! Everyone runs out and grabs all they can. Crazy!!

Take SM is the devil! LOL

That happens way too often. From the gas pipeline hacking incident, I posted this in my local Facebook page after everyone rushed out and filled up their tanks, running the gas stations out of gas and disrupting delivery times.

felonious gru panic buy shortage.jpg

I know prices are way up on Rotella, at least here, and Delo flavors are hard to find here as it isn't as popular. I just saw a discussion about this on another forum about this same video/claim and thought I'd check in here to see if anyone could confirm or deny. I was curious as I run Rotella or Delo in everything I own, drag bikes, riding mower, cars, I don't own any diesels just love HDEOs especially 5w40. Still tempted to buy and put a few jugs back, prices can only go up at this point.

Rotella has had some of the worst availability among the others. WM “in store” is mainly T4 15w40 and SAE 30 while the other brands are stocked in all their normal flavors.

Extend beyond WM and Rotella looks about normal as do others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back