'15 Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in a "rural" area. The roads were hilly, curvy, bumpy, undulating. My friends had trucks and suvs and it sucks. Stopped slower, turned slower, harder to control, than say, a car... any car. Except maybe my older Buick, haha.

Now that I am older, I see lots of people rolling solo in Expeditions, Tahoes, Range Rovers. Why? Are you that special you need a huge SUV to compensate for something? I know it is America, but it is absurd. If you are one person living in a townhouse working as a nurse, you probably don't need a Tahoe. You just want a huge car to complement the scale of [censored] driving you exude.

^I don't think it's "absurd" that people can buy what they want. Maybe this "nurse" feels safer in a SUV, or maybe she has a boat to pull on the weekends? It's really none of our business.

It was a marketing trend. Soccer moms no longer wanted a Volvo station wagon - they wanted to be 'hip' and cool, and crawl to the mall in their SUV and pick up little Suzie from practice in it.
People like the thought of "hey look, I might do cool stuff in my SUV on the weekends" (but they don't in reality).

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
I grew up in a "rural" area. The roads were hilly, curvy, bumpy, undulating. My friends had trucks and suvs and it sucks. Stopped slower, turned slower, harder to control, than say, a car... any car. Except maybe my older Buick, haha.

Now that I am older, I see lots of people rolling solo in Expeditions, Tahoes, Range Rovers. Why? Are you that special you need a huge SUV to compensate for something? I know it is America, but it is absurd. If you are one person living in a townhouse working as a nurse, you probably don't need a Tahoe. You just want a huge car to complement the scale of [censored] driving you exude.

Marketing trend, everyone thinks you need a truck, and cheap fuel.

I never found a need for a big truck but I'm not their target audience. I have stuffed an S550 4matic into some back woods fishing spots up dirt roads and only had pickups around me. The guys were a bit surprised, never had an issue. Truck what?

The family that was in NYC that was attacked by the mob of bikers is pretty happy they were driving an SUV and not a Prius.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I never found a need for a big truck but I'm not their target audience. I have stuffed an S550 4matic into some back woods fishing spots up dirt roads and only had pickups around me.

It sounds like you're not Mercedes' target audience either!

I never found a need for a big truck but I'm not their target audience. I have stuffed an S550 4matic into some back woods fishing spots up dirt roads and only had pickups around me. The guys were a bit surprised, never had an issue. Truck what?

Truck what indeed.
lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

My Mazda is my SUV.

I have taken it on rural backroads that had holes so big that I thought for certain the plastic rocker covers would be obliterated. They were fine. Drove on ice when a co worker's Grand Cherokee couldn't make it

My friend bought a Pacifica because "he needed the room...his daughter plays volleyball..."
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, I forgot how much space volleyball catcher's equipment and volleyball bats take up.
To be fair, my PT probably gets about the same mpg as his larger Pacifica and my PT requires Premium gas, but just press the accelerator on both...you'll feel the difference at about 2000 rpm.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I never found a need for a big truck but I'm not their target audience. I have stuffed an S550 4matic into some back woods fishing spots up dirt roads and only had pickups around me.

It sounds like you're not Mercedes' target audience either!

Most Americans forget that their is an entire world out their that can't afford $60k 4X4's and makes do on some horrible roads and trails with much more humble equipment.

Trucks are nice, but I expect a lot out of a truck since its body on frame and heavily built. I take my Silverado on some industrial access roads that are horrible and full of deep potholes and ruts, but can maintain 40mph with E rated tires. Could I go slower? Sure but its a truck its built for it, if it breaks it's not very good. I can crawl in a car, the point of a truck is to use all of that suspension travel!

OTOH I think I have a cracked front spring, I'm leaning 1.5 inch's to port!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Truck what indeed.
lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

My Mazda is my SUV.

I have taken it on rural backroads that had holes so big that I thought for certain the plastic rocker covers would be obliterated. They were fine. Drove on ice when a co worker's Grand Cherokee couldn't make it

My friend bought a Pacifica because "he needed the room...his daughter plays volleyball..."
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, I forgot how much space volleyball catcher's equipment and volleyball bats take up.
To be fair, my PT probably gets about the same mpg as his larger Pacifica and my PT requires Premium gas, but just press the accelerator on both...you'll feel the difference at about 2000 rpm.

First time my buddy and I went up to his uncles cabin years ago he just had his E300D, and towed an ATV trailer with it...said cabin is 4 miles from the nearest paved road and the last 200 yards look like a dry river bed, up hill. As long as it was dry the RWD E300D in typical car made for 3rd world use would crawl right up, with an ATV in tow.

Now were spoiled with the G wagon.

Last edited:
My favorite year for the Yukon was 2006. My dad has had one since new (looks just like the pic) and it's still going strong.

2006_Gmc_Yukon-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: glock19
My favorite year for the Yukon was 2006. My dad has had one since new (looks just like the pic) and it's still going strong.

2006_Gmc_Yukon-2.jpg

They should just make those again, throw in the newer engines and transmissions from the pickups and call it a day! No development costs and sell it for $28k for the next decade.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

They should just make those again, throw in the newer engines and transmissions from the pickups and call it a day! No development costs and sell it for $28k for the next decade.

That wouldn't be a bad plan as they would sell. The problem would be passing constantly changing EPA/safety requirements.

The GMT800 platform was really straightforward and sensible. They got it just right with that platform.

Guys...I was part of the team working on the new K2xx trucks. When you see the new SUV's in person they are nice. While the new styling may be debatable....the INSIDE is where they shine. A new 2015 Tahoe/Suburban or Yukon interior is better than a current Escalade by a mile. Even a mid level LT or SLE is worlds above the competition and the old model.

Be prepared for a major surprise with the Escalade...NICE!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back