'15 Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'd thought I'd mention that the LEDs around the headlights are perhaps the fastest cliched and most garish styling accent that has come along in decades. Not a criticism of this vehicle in particular, but all that use them. They look ridiculous and are annoying to have in the RVM.

THIS! I am completely in agreement. Every new car on the road has a draped on LED string around its headlamps these days, it is a puzzle to me how that does anything but add costs for questionable 'style'!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'd thought I'd mention that the LEDs around the headlights are perhaps the fastest cliched and most garish styling accent that has come along in decades. Not a criticism of this vehicle in particular, but all that use them. They look ridiculous and are annoying to have in the RVM.

THIS! I am completely in agreement. Every new car on the road has a draped on LED string around its headlamps these days, it is a puzzle to me how that does anything but add costs for questionable 'style'!

its what the people want and think they deserve. Their money is willing, so these ugly fads are given to the masses.

Im sure its not the first garish fad to hit autos...

With almost no competition, GM could make these as ugly as they want and people will still buy them. My favorite year for the Tahoe/Suburban are the 2005 body styles. Park that year next to this one and they look like mid-sizers. I think the photo chopped version with the Silverado front end looks the best, although the new Silverados look like a big GMC Terrain with a bed. The new GM SUV's look like GM is getting their money's worth with the Impala interior. As a life long GM fan and currently having 2 Chevys in the driveway, about the only thing left appealing to me now is the Chevy Sonic hatchback. Everything else is so much bigger/heavier than ever and just seems too much. I'm sure these will sell fine, but I can't imagine paying $50 or 60 grand for this. Plus 22" rims??? I'd cringe for what a set of four tires would cost to replace on these. How soon until 24" rims are standard with the LTZ model?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

its what the people want and think they deserve. Their money is willing, so these ugly fads are given to the masses.

Nope, it is certainly not. I'm sure there's more good stuff coming...

As a mostly GM guy I don't much care for the looks of these new SUV's or the new trucks. Weird body lines and just too much of a block shape like it is made with lego's. The older version like 2005-07 look much nicer IMO.

I dislike all the new GM front ends. To massive they make them look bulky, but made of tin so they smash right up in the event of an accident.

Did that trend start with the BMW angel eyes?

The wheeels on the first pic made me laugh. They look like GM said: "What aftermarket wheels were popular a few years ago? Make a copy of that!"

Not saying they look bad it just looks like its already been down to Les Schwab or discount.

By this measure, a lot of people think they deserve a BMW with its "angel eyes", too.

I share the opinion that these LED runners are silly and distracting at best. I do suppose that's the point. Conspicuity, even if it gets an "eww" response from some, means that you're at least seen on the road (from the safety standpoint). They also likely draw less power than a filament bulb serving the same function and likely also last forever. There are certainly positives from a technical standpoint. But they've taken it too far, in my opinion, from a subjective standpoint. I like how some Porsche models and newer Prius models implement these: four LEDs in a tight square that resembles a round fog lamp. Simple, somewhat understated, and not ostentatious.

It seems like everything's got to be showy these days. I do think the trend DID start with BMW and its "angel eyes", and has now evolved into the LED strips.

A pig of a vehicle. Especially when 90% of the time it has one occupant, driving on pavement, commuting to work/mall/grocery store.

If you do haul a family and stuff in it, fine. Otherwise its just excessive and a tribute to 'merican marketing.

I guess if I had four kids I could find this appealing. But even then I'd probably just get a Chevy Traverse or a Buick Enclave.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

By this measure, a lot of people think they deserve a BMW with its "angel eyes", too.

I share the opinion that these LED runners are silly and distracting at best. I do suppose that's the point. Conspicuity, even if it gets an "eww" response from some, means that you're at least seen on the road (from the safety standpoint). They also likely draw less power than a filament bulb serving the same function and likely also last forever. There are certainly positives from a technical standpoint. But they've taken it too far, in my opinion, from a subjective standpoint. I like how some Porsche models and newer Prius models implement these: four LEDs in a tight square that resembles a round fog lamp. Simple, somewhat understated, and not ostentatious.

It seems like everything's got to be showy these days. I do think the trend DID start with BMW and its "angel eyes", and has now evolved into the LED strips.

BMW's light circles are called "Corona Rings", it was somebody in the aftermarket who coined the term "Angel Eyes" which I personally think sounds retarded.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/daytime_driving_lights.html

Originally Posted By: surfstar
A pig of a vehicle. Especially when 90% of the time it has one occupant, driving on pavement, commuting to work/mall/grocery store.

If you do haul a family and stuff in it, fine. Otherwise its just excessive and a tribute to 'merican marketing.

To me they are a bus, I don't understand the appeal of buses as daily drivers.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: surfstar

To me they are a bus, I don't understand the appeal of buses as daily drivers.

I dunno, I think it depends upon the commute. I would not care for it in a city enviroment. Rural? It's kinda nice.

Audi started with the LED's and everyone is now copying them.

Stupid on a truck, they are expensive to replace when they fail or are broken.

NFW are you getting headlights for that thing on Rockauto for $100 in a few years, so if you bust one out bend over!

I think I kinda like the LED's. On a car. When it's new, and shiny, and good looking. I'm not sure if those LED's will age well, either in dimming, burning out / failing, or just looking dated. [But who buys an Audi for the long run?]

On a truck though? I think I will go with "not for me".

Some of the new Accords have them and its not my cup of tea, and the ones on the GM trucks look like a bad aftermarket kit... On some of the Audi's they look OK and in the fog this morning they did show up a little better than normal low beams.
Its just bling I guess, people still like shiney things that imply they have money, which won't change anytime soon.
BMW is supposed to have some LASER lights coming out soon! oooh I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back