5.3 Yukon ... first oil change interval?

New '22 5.3L Yukon XL owner. Got 2k miles on it, should I use my free oil change now or wait till 5-7k miles?

Pros of doing an early OCI on the first one?
When I did my first oil change on my new 2016 Tahoe LT it had 4K miles. After that started doing 5K miles OCI's. Still doing 5K miles OCI's at 126K miles. I use either 0w20 AC Delco or 0w20 Mobil 1 EP.

I'd wait. I used the first free oil change on my 21 escalade in 4k miles after a year and it's been a half year since then and I've only put 2k more miles since. Still haven't updated the tag. Been lazy.

2k miles is after our next road trip ... sounds like a good plan. Primarily using it as a long range road trip vehicle.

My wife’s 2021 Suburban 5.3 got done at 7500 miles this time. I figured she doesn’t keep them long enough to matter and I’m not even sure it makes a difference. I did just have to add about an inch of coolant to the reservoir, it has 16,000 on it now.

I got my UOA for a 2021 Kia Niro and it was filled with gunk after 5k miles. If I could go back, I'd change it at 2500, the 5k, and 5k miles OCI after that.

I did mine at 1,200 or so, then next one at 3,000...and then every 5,000.

Can’t say it really helped me, my 2018 started consuming oil at around 12,000 miles anyway.

I’d run the intended OCI from the start. Only reason I dumped the Toyota’s factory oil at 3.5K was were going on a long trip or else it would’ve gone out to 5K.

Well, on seconds thought it’s a GM product, maybe not… 😝

If it’s a lease run the Yukon oil until the OLM reaches 0% . If you purchase the Yukon plan on keeping it drop the oil around 2k. My neighbor leases cars and never changes the oil until it’s time to turn it back in . He does a full detail of the vehicle so it looks good for the turn in inspection. He suggest that the next owner pay for an extended warranty because they just might need it smh.

New '22 5.3L Yukon XL owner. Got 2k miles on it, should I use my free oil change now or wait till 5-7k miles?

Pros of doing an early OCI on the first one?
Dump the Oil now, and get rid of the Wear Metals from the Engine Breaking in
Fyi
I changed the Oil in my 2011 Expedition after 750 miles, which was the distance from where I bought the vehicle to my Home.

When I did my first oil change on my new 2016 Tahoe LT it had 4K miles. After that started doing 5K miles OCI's. Still doing 5K miles OCI's at 126K miles. I use either 0w20 AC Delco or 0w20 Mobil 1 EP.
Since they hold 10 Quarts of oil don’t throw away you money. First one early and then every 5 thousand. These are GDI and won’t support a long oci. I use Supertech and Kirkland and the engine seems to love this oil. Oil report came back great.

Minority opinion (based on urban myth?). The factory fill has special lubes (Moly?) that help the car break in. Therefore, let it go, say, 5K miles before changing.

Don't worry. 5K won't break your car.

Have to say it worked out for me.

My neighbor leases cars and never changes the oil until it’s time to turn it back in . He does a full detail of the vehicle so it looks good for the turn in inspection. He suggest that the next owner pay for an extended warranty because they just might need it smh.
Your have a moron neighbor. But karma will bite him in the a** let him know that. It's because of that type of guy life becomes ****ier for everyone else.

Since they hold 10 Quarts of oil don’t throw away you money. First one early and then every 5 thousand. These are GDI and won’t support a long oci. I use Supertech and Kirkland and the engine seems to love this oil. Oil report came back great.
They hold 8 quarts of oil. Do agree with the 5K OCI because of the GDI.

Back