2005 5.3 1/4 quart overfill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil/filter in 2005 Yukon XL with 5.3. Refilled with 6 quarts as the manual says. Right after changing the oil I started it up let it run a minute or so and then shut it down. Waited a few minutes and checked the oil. Right at the full mark.

Then let it sit overnite and checked it again. It is about 1/4 quart over the full mark. Should I be concerned with it reading 1/4 quart overfilled ?

Don't worry about 1/4 quart of oil.

I ALWAYS put an extra 1/2 quart of oil in all my cars with zero problems.
smile.gif

Per the owner's manual on your vehicle, you need to check the oil when it is "warm." (I actually happened to read the owner's manual on my new Yukon XL last night, believe it or not.)

This is almost certainly the reason for the change in your readings. Like any fluid, oil expands and contracts when hot/cold. Oil thins out when it gets to operating temperature, so it only stands to reason that it would be thicker (expand) when it's cold.

This is my unscientific reply, so take it for what it's worth. Others on here with doctorates in oiloligy will probably prove me wrong. *wink*

Oil will drip down overnight.
Read your owners manual since the engineers will HOPEFULLY take into account the oil temp and drip down amount when calibrating the dipstick.

Maybe one day they'll let us check the oil level with the vehicle running(kinda like checking the ATF).

I don't know what the fascination is with auto engineers who want fluids checked with the vehicle off. When my car is off, I don't worry about fluid levels. When its running, I do!
I also don't know why some need to check the fluids cold. My engine is cold only for the 1st 3-5 minutes of running time. This means my fluid is hot 99% of the time and I'd prefer a hot level check.

Its to hard for automfg's to add simple fluid dampeners to the dipstick tubes for proper hot&running fluid checks.

I should stop complaining. I'm just glad I have ATF, PS, and oil dipsticks.

Well, I know the transmission dipstick on my Yukon XL has a "hot" and "cold" measuring point. The owner's manual specifically says the fluid should be checked when hot and that the cold mark on the dipstick is mainly just used as a secondary reference check.

That leads me to believe tranny fluid (and oil, too) expands when hot and contracts when cold.

Am I wrong?

Anyhow, that's probably why you're getting the slight change in your reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back