14 Mazda 3, 14 Accord, [other new cars]Manual Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dareo
I wasn't really going to buy yet but each time i said no the price came down.

Congrats! Sounds like standard Honda arrogance - pay more because of the name and dont ask questions... glad you kept at it.

Black is a tough color to keep, so get to waxing and protecting ASAP!

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Congrats....it's a looker!

The Accord is a handsome design but the "Sport" trim makes it look sensational! Congrats and good luck with it! Report back after you have some more seat time!

Originally Posted By: Zako2

Of course, Mazda6 or Ford Fusion do not place such silly restrictions on colors. Personally, I'd check out also the Ford Fusion SE with 1.6 Ecoboost engine and 6MT. While it may be down on power compared to Accord a little bit, it supposedly has a more upscale feel with a noticeably lower road noise level once moving. Mazda6 is supposedly the noisiest on the road. Mazdas also have bad reputation for rust in the snow states. I don't know if the 6 will suffer from this.

Fusion more upscale? No way.

Mazda seems to be on top of its design and processes of late so I'm fairly confident with a new platform, evolving industry tech, and an awareness of a past issue the 6 will not suffer any significant rust issues.

The Mazda we'd really all want (a diesel wagon!)
20134-Mazda6-Wagon-3_620x465.jpg

Congrats on the new car - good luck with that paint! Good thing you have a garage!

Nice choice. Like the Accord Sport rims. Wish the sport came with a moonroof. But really, not. It would make holding on to my 2004 that much harder to do.

So you got it for a few hundred over invoice? Not bad at all. Is it a 2014 or 2013?

Keep us updated.

The color restrictions are unfortunate but I'm quite happy with black. My wife kept insisting she did not care about the color.

You can get the silver metallic on an LX trim car as well as the EX trim, the grey is on all 3, but black is only on sport.

We also liked the mazda CX-5, and those have a lack of colors on manual transmission choices. If they had a 2.5 CX5 manual that possibly would have won over the accord.

The compromises are few in a 9th gen accord. I put on 100 miles last night so its far too soon to review it in depth but it is fun.

Anyone in Utah that might want some sort of honda, our salesmen, Doug Raymond, was ridiculously awesome. This guy is older and has experience running his own auto repair business. 100% professional and respectful and he knew answers to questions i would only expect a BITOGer to know. He was the antitheses of every dealership employee i have ever met. He's at the Ken Garff dealership in SLC, look him up, you will be impressed. He spent a full hour after the sale showing my wife how to work all the bluetooth/electronic screen stuff.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wasn't really going to buy yet but each time i said no the price came down.

Congrats! Sounds like standard Honda arrogance - antitheses glad you kept at it.

Black is a tough color to keep, so get to waxing and protecting ASAP!

The final discount, after they saw my wife's credit score, was much larger than Chevy offered on a last year's Cruise Eco. That was a fun, nimble car, but the cost was too close to the much bigger accord. The Honda does its thing without any turbo, and that costs less over the lifetime of the car to not maintain a turbocharger system.

You could say Sounds like standard Mazda arrogance, as they were acting like 1,000 off a 24k car would close their tiny doors forever. The local Mazda dealer just bugged me in a lot of ways. They are adjacent to Honda, and have this huge sign that says:

Access to Orem Mazda Only, violators will be cited!

Meaning they don't want people driving through their lot to get to Honda. Like they can enforce anything like that. it just makes them look like [swear word of your choice]

The dealership experience plays a small part in a car purchase but Honda totally crushed Mazda in my area at least. Mazda felt like they were trying to exploit young car buyers with no experience. Honda felt like they were building lifetime customers.

The final discount, after they saw my wife's credit score, was much larger than Chevy offered on a last year's Cruise Eco. That was a fun, nimble car, but the cost was too close to the much bigger accord. The Honda does its thing without any turbo, and that costs less over the lifetime of the car to not maintain a turbocharger system.

Enjoy the Accord! It should serve a growing family well!

I hear you on finding a Cruze Eco at a reasonable price. When I got mine, most dealers were not moving on price. I finally ended up getting the exact car I wanted at the price I wanted. It was a slow, widespread hunt. Strangely, a then-new '12 that had just arrived on the truck a day before I bought it was far cheaper than any of the '11's that dealers had on the lot.

Quattro Pete nailed it, that is a 1987 Corolla GT-S, late 87 production. Has a still working factory power sunroof, and a not so factory 20 valve 4 age. Thinking of selling it now to help cover the new accord costs.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
The Mazda we'd really all want (a diesel wagon!)
20134-Mazda6-Wagon-3_620x465.jpg

Congrats on the new car - good luck with that paint! Good thing you have a garage!

110%!!!

At least the new Accord has a legit "Hofmeister Kink" to its rear "C" pillar. The new mazda is just an applique to make it appear so.
As much of a Mazda fan that I am, I think the new Accord is a sharp car.

Last edited:
Nearing in on 300 miles now. I did a few hours of driving last night with some canyon runs. It is probably the 18" wheels and W rated tires but this thing can really corner well for a FWD sedan with such generous interior space.

I find no need whatsoever for the V6 model. With the 6MT this engine puts out great power. In a front wheel drive, no way would i need more. People do rip some great 0-60s in the V6, but for all practical use, the Earth Dreams is overpowered for our needs. I did not budget speeding tickets into this purchase, knock on wood.

I found a gripe: The electronic drive by wire throttle. No likey. I found myself needing to get off throttle slightly sooner for clean shifts higher up. Also, it seems to hold open more than a cable car would on down hills off throttle. This grants some in gear coasting efficiencies but also requires more braking on the downhill. No foot on the pedal=i want it closed, thanks. The DBW does make it easier to drive smooth at slower daily drive speeds, so its not all bad i guess.

Being the first non diesel drive by wire car, it is probably no better or worse than all the other DBWs. I miss real throttles.

When i got home i had to take the Corolla GTS out. Quad ITBs makes it the king of throttle response. Pity the Accord didn't come with ITBs and cable throttles. I bet we never see those again outside of exotics with today's emissions.

I find no need whatsoever for the V6 model. With the 6MT this engine puts out great power. In a front wheel drive, no way would i need more. People do rip some great 0-60s in the V6, but for all practical use, the Earth Dreams is overpowered for our needs. I did not budget speeding tickets into this purchase, knock on wood.

More for fun than anything. I would probably get myself in trouble with that combination

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I bet we never see those again

Yup. And some mfgs now have started to offer DBW steering as well.

Perhaps an aftermarket tuner will fix the steering the same way they now fix the throttle response.

It's not DBW that we all dislike, it's the programming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back