2023 Mazda 3 rental review - loved it.

Burger has a JB-4 for this that might scratch your power itch. I highly recommend.
I opted to get the highest spec manual transmission model available, that of course is not available with the turbocharged engine. To get the turbo you must option AT and AWD.

This one's the NA FWD 2.5 186hp.

I opted to get the highest spec manual transmission model available, that of course is not available with the turbocharged engine. To get the turbo you must option AT and AWD.

This one's the NA FWD 2.5 186hp.
Ahh, that's right. I remember now that Mazda is one of those that unfortunately forces you into a lower trim and/or engine if you want the manual.

i forgot to add resale value of the last generation mazda 3 is one of the best. usually, trading a car at a dealership is a terrible thing to do, but they literally gave me 1500 dollars more than the balance i owned on that car. it was an incredible deal. and they sold it afterwards in less than 24 hours. i drove 900 kilometers round trip to get to that dealer. at one time, they were recognized as the largest mazda dealership in the world. they sell about 7000 cars a year.

RETAIL07_307049989_AR_-1_0.jpg

I had test driven the Civic 1.5, VW Jetta Sport, and the Mazda3 prior to settling on a 9th gen Accord.

Out of those 3 the Civic drove competently but it was priced higher than the others and did not care for the CVT. The Jetta Sport was easily the best value hands down, and the 1.5/8-speed combo was very good but the chassis was a bit numb and too isolated for me.

The Mazda3 was priced reasonably well and feature-wise was very solid. The 2.5/6-speed combo would've gotten the job done for me despite being archaic - it's been in production for 9 years, and has proven itself to be bulletproof and fuel efficient. Any and all inputs I had while driving were met with sharp responses by the chassis. The throttle/transmission, the braking, the steering, the handling and ride - it's been put together so compellingly well by Mazda.

Beautiful car! Is this a "Carbon Edition"? I noticed that only the seats are red, but on my car the dash and door panels are trimmed in Red as well.
No, not the Carbon edition. I think those are only in Polymetal Grey and we don't get Carbon editions in Canada.

I was actually disappointed I didn't get the red dash and doors, but the red stiching that was given instead has grown on me and I prefer it now.

In Canada for the last couple of years the red interiors on non Turbo models come with accent stiching instead of red panels. The Turbo get the red dash and doors. It was a weird thing by speccing a red interior it also triggered other non-related options such as gloss black 18" from the Turbo instead of gunmetal on the black interior. Also added black mirror caps for whatever reason.

Quoted from the sales brochure:

"Garnet Red Interior includes Garnet Red leather-trimmed upholstery, red accent stitching, exterior mirrors in Jet Black Mica and 18-inch black finish alloy wheels.

The window chrome trim was wrapped after I took delivery. I also added OEM mudguards and OEM Aerokit spoiler.

Does that have the newer pulsing turn signals? It looks like it. The turn signal light is small but very noticeable due to the brightness and pulsing. I don’t know when Mazda implemented that.
It does. Started on the Mazda 3 with the 2022 model year. Taillights changed slightly from 2021 to 2022. The crosshairs design replaced the four dot leds.

Last edited:
I like the SkyActiv 2.5L non turbo engine / 6 speed auto transmission but they are really not that fuel efficient.

25-27 MPG on the highway @ 80 miles per hour. I could never break 30 MPG.

Reactions: Pew
I like the SkyActiv 2.5L non turbo engine / 6 speed auto transmission but they are really not that fuel efficient.

80 is over the fuel efficiency range from what my experience has shown me. The 45 to about 70mph range gets the best fuel economy.

Had an 86 626 that went 375,000 miles. Now have two in the stable. A 2018 Mazda 3 which my wife uses and does very well. Then I have the other as my Saturday car driving down to Alameda to the USS Hornet. I do like Mazdas as a maker and would have bought a 3 in 2004 instead of my Focus but the Focus deal was too good to pass up and turns out the Focus has been trouble free. Ironically I got the 2018 Mazda 3 for the same price I paid in 2004 for the Focus so a fabulous deal. The dealer saw my 626 and gave $500 right then and there on top of everything else.

Mazda3_002.jpg
Mazda_91_626_001.jpg

I have a 2017.5 Mazda 6. So it’s before cylinder deactivation, just a regular gas 2.5 non turbo 6 speed like you describe.

I drive 80 anytime possible which is more than half my commute, get stuck in traffic here and there, take my kids to dance and practices around town about 4 weeknights…I average 33-34mpg. It was better with oem Dunlop tires too, I think 35-36mpg then.

We rented a ‘23 Mazda 3 with 8700 miles today in San Diego. What a wonderful car! I don’t know much about Mazdas except their owners seem to love ‘em. It rode and drove better than any Corolla/Civic or other small car that I am familiar with.
Can any owners speak to reliability, issues, whatever about the Mazda 3?
I appreciate your thoughts.
My work car is a 2007 Mazda 3, 215k miles and going strong. It replaced a Toyota Corolla which was way less nice to drive. Only work on the Mazda is the normal wear items, wheel bearing, ball joint, steering items. With that many miles that seems normal to me.

No, not the Carbon edition. I think those are only in Polymetal Grey and we don't get Carbon editions in Canada.

I was actually disappointed I didn't get the red dash and doors, but the red stiching that was given instead has grown on me and I prefer it now.

In Canada for the last couple of years the red interiors on non Turbo models come with accent stiching instead of red panels. The Turbo get the red dash and doors. It was a weird thing by speccing a red interior it also triggered other non-related options such as gloss black 18" from the Turbo instead of gunmetal on the black interior. Also added black mirror caps for whatever reason.

Quoted from the sales brochure:

"Garnet Red Interior includes Garnet Red leather-trimmed upholstery, red accent stitching, exterior mirrors in Jet Black Mica and 18-inch black finish alloy wheels.

The window chrome trim was wrapped after I took delivery. I also added OEM mudguards and OEM Aerokit spoiler.
I think the red stitching looks great as well, in lieu of the red paneling. Beautiful car!

Had FORD Festivas ( Mazda 121 ) . Dark Blue '88 ( or '89 ) L Pus ( 3 speed auto ) , Dark Blue '90 L ( 5 speed manual ) and Red '93 L w/ the 5 speed manual . Great little cars with 1.3 Ltr. . Amazing room for a subcompact . Did very well in the snow with the 12" snow tires . I think they were YOKOHAMA with studs . Very easy to maintain . The rear seat folded up in the upright position against the back of front seats making for plenty of room .

Last edited:
Had FORD Festivas ( Mazda 121 ) . Dark Blue '88 ( or '89 ) L Pus ( 3 speed auto ) , Dark Blue '90 L ( 5 speed manual ) and Red '93 L w/ the 5 speed manual . Great little cars with 1.3 Ltr. . Amazing room for a subcompact . Did very well in the snow with the 12" snow tires . I think they were YOKOHAMA with studs . Very easy to maintain . The rear seat folded up in the upright position against the back of front seats making for plenty of room .
Oops , they were Dark Blue '90 L Plus ( 3 speed auto ) , Dark Blue '91 L ( 5 speed manual ) and Red '93 L ( 5 speed manual ) . Memory fading .

Found this , those were the days .

And . Better hurry before sale ends at the end of next month . :)

MAZDA 121 .

Here are the rear seat positions . Wasn't aware of the last setting :( . Could of used that when moving or after buying large things such as chairs , etc. . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This took the place of the FESTIVA in the U.S.. Remained FESTIVA in Australia . Still see these on occasion .

I really intended on buying Mazda but with no hybrids where I live I decided on Toyota. I consider hybrids to be the bare minimum requirement in a new car today.

Back