14 Mazda 3, 14 Accord, [other new cars]Manual Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the Mazda6 to accelerate very nicely. Unless you're drag racing the figures may be meaningless.

The Accord with its CVT can pin the engine at redline, can't beat continuous maximum engine output for acceleration.

Motor Trend on the AUTO trans of Mazda 6
Quote:
If you desire even a modicum of driving enjoyment from your midsize sedan, this transmission alone is a major reason to buy the Mazda6 over a new Honda Accord or Nissan Altima and their soggy CVTs, or the new Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu and their stubbornly unresponsive autos.

Our Mazda 6 Touring accelerates great, from what I have seen far and gets 37-38 MPG AVERAGE right now!

Honda and Mazda targeted consumers are 2 very different types of car buyers, from what I have read. (and know).
Although they're both 4 door mid-size sedans Mazda is cross shopped (read on somemarket research article) mostly with Subaru and Saab and other more Euro-oriented makes, while Accord is mostly cross shopped with Camry and Altima etc.

Accord/Camry = appliance; Mazda is not. That's why Mazdas are well loved bu European drivers whereas they hardly glance at Accords/ Camrys. On almost every review of the 6 I've read they mention how the interior and handling and styling is 'Germanic'- and that's a GREAT sign.
BUT again, it really depends on what type of person one is, and depending on that what he/she wants from a car.

Mazda doesn't want to be the most common car on the road that's a daily appliance. So, a typical Accord person will never see what's a in Mazda and vice versa. In fact, Mazda LIKES being different.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dri...article4604138/

Quote:

Even when creating the Mazda 6, they benchmarked it against the likes of a BMW 3 series, Audi A4, and the VW Passat! Mazda also looked at the lesser beings such as the Altima, Camry and Fusion but Mazda wouldn't let their engineers drive it because, "Your senses get dull."

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/mazda-the-most-[censored]-company-ever-1443500153

Quote:
If you desire even a modicum of driving enjoyment from your midsize sedan, this transmission alone is a major reason to buy the Mazda6 over a new Honda Accord or Nissan Altima and their soggy CVTs, or the new Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu and their stubbornly unresponsive autos.

Yeah that was about the AUTO trans on the 6
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1210_2014_mazda6_first_drive/viewall.html#ixzz2k5EObiFa

Last edited:
97tbird's car is quite good looking, how many miles on it now? How's the clutch and shifting feel after some use? Is your 37-38 mpg a lifetime average? Thanks for your feedback.

It's my wife's car primarily.
Now it has 16,000 miles. (she drives a lot)
Transmission is just like the day we bought it, as far as shifting feel, but overall, car feels more 'free' and 'snappier'.
(It gets a lot of hwy mileage)
We only calculated the overall/lifetime AVG for the first 4 months and it came out 37.7 MPG (Car does get driven a lot of hwy daily)
The MPG avg on dash display right now is 37.2 MPG. (whenever I drive it - which I do sometimes, but rarely, the MPG goes down a bit
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Similar to other vehicles like the CR-V. Honda offers a manual transmission in this vehicle everywhere else in the world, but not in North America. Simply a marketing decision.

It is kind of sad that our 2 countries with a "car culture" don't demand a decent selection of vehicles...
They must sell less cars in the UK than in California, but we have a fraction of the brands, models, and drivetrain selection available to us...
We do have 47 variants of the F150 though
crazy.gif

3 countries.

The only transmission availiable on all models of the CR-V in Mexico is the Transmisión automática de cinco velocidades 5 speed automatic.
But I think Mexico has an extra variant or two of the F-150/Lobo.
But you can still get the Ranger and the crossover version of the Fiesta in Mexico. Heck, you can still buy a new version of the MkIV Jetta in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Motor Trend on the AUTO trans of Mazda 6
Quote:

Our Mazda 6 Touring accelerates great, from what I have seen far and gets 37-38 MPG AVERAGE right now!

Honda and Mazda targeted consumers are 2 very different types of car buyers, from what I have read. (and know).
Although they're both 4 door mid-size sedans Mazda is cross shopped (read on somemarket research article) mostly with Subaru and Saab and other more Euro-oriented makes, while Accord is mostly cross shopped with Camry and Altima etc.

Accord/Camry = appliance; Mazda is not. That's why Mazdas are well loved bu European drivers whereas they hardly glance at Accords/ Camrys. On almost every review of the 6 I've read they mention how the interior and handling and styling is 'Germanic'- and that's a GREAT sign.
BUT again, it really depends on what type of person one is, and depending on that what he/she wants from a car.

Mazda doesn't want to be the most common car on the road that's a daily appliance. So, a typical Accord person will never see what's a in Mazda and vice versa. In fact, Mazda LIKES being different.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dri...article4604138/

Quote:

Even when creating the Mazda 6, they benchmarked it against the likes of a BMW 3 series, Audi A4, and the VW Passat! Mazda also looked at the lesser beings such as the Altima, Camry and Fusion but Mazda wouldn't let their engineers drive it because, "Your senses get dull."

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/mazda-the-most-[censored]-company-ever-1443500153

Quote:

Yeah that was about the AUTO trans on the 6
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1210_2014_mazda6_first_drive/viewall.html#ixzz2k5EObiFa

You realize that the title of the thread says manual only, right? So why post a quote about the automatics? If one is shopping a manual trans, few manufacturers at any price do a shifter and clutch better than Honda.

Accord is an appliance and Mazda is not, huh? Pretty silly statement when the Accord is faster, posts the exact same grip numbers as the 6, is no less durable than the 6, is no less reliable than the 6, etc, etc. Not to mention has also received high praise in many reviews other than the ones you chose to link to.

Mazda is hardly unique in benchmarking higher-end cars. Honda benchmarks BMW as well and even GM was caught with a torn-down Mercedes in its lab when developing the Impala. If Honda/Mazda benchmarked an Altima they'd both turn out a sh!t car, now wouldn't they?

You have a good car, no doubt, but your post just sounds like you're trying to make yourself feel better about it.

It IS better !!! j/k, j/k, kinda
wink.gif

(we test drove all other comparable mid sizers in the segment before we went with the 6; in our specific case, there was no doubt about the choice) - no need to make myself FEEL better about it.

The Auto trans comment was to just compare the CVT of others cars in segment, which were mentioned in a post previous to mine, although I knew that the OP wanted manuals. And speaking of that, the Manual of the 6 has also been praised universally, and although I haven't driven the manual 6 myself. (wife's requirements included Auto trans.)
But I agree - Accord/Camrys will always be in a slightly different niche and I think depending on what one expects from a DD, they also can be justifiable choices.
Test driving all available / comparable models are the way to go.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

Accord is an appliance and Mazda is not, huh? Pretty silly statement when the Accord is faster, posts the exact same grip numbers as the 6, is no less durable than the 6, is no less reliable than the 6, etc, etc. Not to mention has also received high praise in many reviews other than the ones you chose to link to.

The level of grip may be the same, but the feel is not.

I got out of an Integra GS-R and into my Mazda6 for the test drive. The S curve on the entrance ramp from the dealer let me know right away that this was something very different. The steering was more precise than the Acura's.

An Accord LX 4 cylinder of the same year model allegedly has better "balance" than my V6 Mazda 6 does. But you cannot tell from the driver's seat.

My Mazda6S was the same price as a 4 cylinder Accord LX or Camry LE. I drove all 3. They do not compare in a corner. The 6 is vastly superior in precision and feel. Maybe not on paper but when the wheel is in your hands.

I don't know how the current 6 handles. I'm kinda' afraid that if I drive it, I will trade in a finely honed perfectly worn in 150,000 mile 2005 Mazda6 on it.

Accord is a much more usable car if you have family or plan too as its a larger size car esp rear seat. You will be less likely to dump it like Mazda3/6 early if that happens to you.

If above does not matter we liked the drive experience of Mazda 6 better but it looses out on size. I personally think the two cars are quite close no losers.

I would not bother with Mazda3 personally.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Would be interested in a review if you and your wife test drive the Accord Sport MT and Mazda 6 MT back to back.

I've pretty much done that. I compared a Mazda 4 dr, 4 cyl, 6 MT and a Honda 2 dr, 4 cyl, 6 MT. The dealer says there's no possibilty of driving a Honda 4 dr, 4 cyl, 6 MT as they don't get enough, and they're all presold. Sounds like a missed business opportunity, but that's just me.

I preferred the Mazda. I have a 2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT (which I would be keeping) so I don't think I'm anti-Honda.

Ecotourist

Our local Honda dealer has a no stock policy on manuals! Other than one Civic Si they just don't even order anything manual. Are people that lazy that they can't shift anymore? About 40-60 miles away are some real Honda dealers that have manuals.

The rear seat space is a big plus for the Accord for future potential children. I concede the Mazda would have slightly more fun to drive handling over the Honda, but the Honda shouldn't be far behind. Both are quite good, so a final decision will be hard.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Accord is a much more usable car if you have family or plan too as its a larger size car esp rear seat. You will be less likely to dump it like Mazda3/6 early if that happens to you.

If above does not matter we liked the drive experience of Mazda 6 better but it looses out on size. I personally think the two cars are quite close no losers.

I would not bother with Mazda3 personally.

According to the specs, they are really about the same in the rear seat area, +- an inch depending on which measurement. I was reading that the 4 door Mazda6 has a longer wheel base than wagon version as the 4 door was sized for the US market and the wagon is a world car.
We seem to have the biggest car seats on earth(infant to 50lbs) and both fit reasonably well in the back of the Focus which is narrrower than both, but a bit taller for head room.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Are people that lazy that they can't shift anymore? About 40-60 miles away are some real Honda dealers that have manuals.

Some people who live in cities have difficult stop and go traffic and many other traffic types which makes an auto more suited for their driving needs. So it's not necessarily laziness. And some people need to have an auto as the auto-only wife can drive it in an emergency, (and some husbands, like me - who can drive a manual very well, and learned driving on a manual - just care about that).

And the days of manual always getting better MPG than auto are over - The Mazda 6 and 3 SkyActiv autos (and what a GREAT sporty auto that is - hehe - one has to try it, really) get better MPG than their manual trans versions. And I am sure this is not only with Mazda but some other makes as well.

BTW, It's sad to make a car decision over rear seat size, but I understand the needs of parents, I guess. Still, it IS kinda sad.
(and I am sure some people think the same about having to have an auto but it's not really the same - even the BMW M3 and 335is now offer dual clutch auto transmissions and from what I hear, they will blast most manuals away)

It's all about different and INDIVIDUAL (!!!!) driving situations/styles and needs. This 'manual is ALWAYS best' blanket statement/broken record just needs to be given a good, permanent rest.

I'l agree with most of that. I think real world MPG for most drivers is higher with a manual than the same car with an auto regardless of the EPA ratings.

Car guys should always train the wife on how to drive stick before marriage, that is what i did. She used to be happy driving a slushbox cavalier of all things.

Bad traffic on ones daily commute is one excuse i will validate.

The local honda dealer now actually has a 6 speed sport, my wife is out driving it now. They brought it by my work so i could see it briefly. Huge interior and trunk space! With my short wife driving, the seat behind her had insane leg room. I'm talking as much as i've ever seen in any car before. The interior fabric was not greatly impressive.

The local honda dealer now actually has a 6 speed sport, my wife is out driving it now. They brought it by my work so i could see it briefly. Huge interior and trunk space! With my short wife driving, the seat behind her had insane leg room. I'm talking as much as i've ever seen in any car before. The interior fabric was not greatly impressive.

Both the Honda and the Mazda6 are impressive vehicles. In Canada, Mazda may have a better combination of the features I need/want in one of the intermediate models.

Both will be reliable, both will get good mileage, both will be fun to drive.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I'd buy the one that's more fun to drive, but that's just me.

Ecotourist

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: bourne
Accord Sport

This ^^^

Id tend to agree, though "sport" in it is kind of stupid, IMO.

I saw that the 6 does 40 MPG highway, which is really nice... Too bad she isn't into it, but for a long use car, the cord probably is the best.

Good choice on buying an AT and more simplistic car. There are a few of us left!!

The interior fabric was not greatly impressive.

I don't think the fabric in any Japanese car has ever been impressive. IMO harder, yet weaker, and less well for wear than domestics.

Our 94 previa seats looked like new, but the cloth was hard, almost like denim but a woven.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id tend to agree, though "sport" in it is kind of stupid, IMO.

I saw that the 6 does 40 MPG highway, which is really nice... Too bad she isn't into it, but for a long use car, the cord probably is the best.

Good choice on buying an AT and more simplistic car. There are a few of us left!!

Agreed. Accord aged better than most family sedans.

The winner is:

2014 accord sport 6MT

We failed to wait until january. The Mazdas were to stiff on both the price and the ride for a daily driver. It was a close second and a great car but my wife did prefer the accord and i really like it too. Amazing mid and high end powerband and the gearbox shifts just right. Deal was over 10% off sticker and .9 promo financing. I wasn't really going to buy yet but each time i said no the price came down.

Note that the Accord Sport has a terrible selection of colors in 6MT variant. You get dark steel metallic and black. That's it. However, the Accord EX is also available with 6MT, and that trim adds Alabaster Silver Metallic. If you like the silver metallic better, you won't lose much by buying the similarly equipped EX. With EX, you lose the 18 inch wheels and dual exhaust, but gain smaller turning circle and moon roof, a fair trade.

Of course, Mazda6 or Ford Fusion do not place such silly restrictions on colors. Personally, I'd check out also the Ford Fusion SE with 1.6 Ecoboost engine and 6MT. While it may be down on power compared to Accord a little bit, it supposedly has a more upscale feel with a noticeably lower road noise level once moving. Mazda6 is supposedly the noisiest on the road. Mazdas also have bad reputation for rust in the snow states. I don't know if the 6 will suffer from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back