14 Mazda 3, 14 Accord, [other new cars]Manual Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Chances are Mazda USA's flawed research on USA customer's buying habits has pointed that people who buy the base model version of a car in that price range are willing to live without features like cruise control in order to hit that low price point. It's the same flawed research model that told them that customers in the USA that buy manual transmissions in their vehicles only buy them in Black, Grey, or Silver. Argghh.

Probably research gained by polling just dealerships. Who would never ever lie about such things.

Probably simpler than that. More money for everyone by corralling people into higher optioned cars. Probably costs $10 to add the CC stalk/buttons on the production line, but you can mark it up 10x easily; easy money for all (save the consumer).

Heck, for all I know the base model is sold at at loss (relatively speaking, and moreso for the manufacturer), with the expectation of making money on the more upscale models. But you can advertise a lower price. Wouldn't want to sell too many base models then.

New car sales is all about convincing people to buy something they want, not so much about what they need.

Very good point. People like myself who find that they can live without that one little thing (Especially on a CX-5 where you can't get a manual on anything but the base) will just learn to live without.

I rarely, if ever, use cruise control.

On a side note, Mazda is offering a tow package on the 2014 CX-5 6 speed! That's great news!

I like the idea of swapping steering wheels, but to risk it not working and having a car without cruise control would suck. It does illustrate the point that it costs virtually nothing to implement and they are just holding it back to make people either pay more or suffer without it.

I will simply veto the Mazda 3 instead. CX 5 base has cruise, the 6 does, the Accord does, so instead of an upsell on trim its a no sale on a 3. I hope someone at Mazda reads this.

Mazda dealer is right next to the Honda dealer so negotiation time will be great fun. "No deal huh? Okay, well i'l be over at Honda if you can make that happen."

I'd like to get a beat up rental example for a weekend trip before making the final decision too. Too bad stick shift rentals are almost non existent.

The CX5 base is really nice to drive. Last year I was going to get myself into one, but decided I did not want to go further into debt for a brand new vehicle.

It's pretty common on 08-11 Focuses for people to buy a cruise control steering wheel on e-bay, swap airbags then bring to a dealer and have them turn on the functionality of cruise control.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I will simply veto the Mazda 3 instead. CX 5 base has cruise, the 6 does, the Accord does, so instead of an upsell on trim its a no sale on a 3. I hope someone at Mazda reads this.

Mazda appreciates the fact that you will buy a much more expensive car from them in exchange for them not offering cruise control on the Mazda that you really want to own.

Your logic has a flaw in it, I hate to tell you

BC.

It blows my mind that some cars still come without cruise control. It seems like that's just one of those basic things that can't add that much cost or complexity to a car anymore.

Sure, Mazda will likely end up selling me a higher dollar car because of the cruise control debacle, but shouldn't their whole line be desirable and considerable? I'm not asking for carbon ceramic brakes or twin turbos to come stock, just some buttons.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
It blows my mind that some cars still come without cruise control. It seems like that's just one of those basic things that can't add that much cost or complexity to a car anymore.

I'm sure its just the cost of the buttons on the dash or steering wheel with a DBW throttle. Hyundai seems to be willing to add alot of the no cost to them options at no cost to you.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I'm sure its just the cost of the buttons on the dash or steering wheel with a DBW throttle. Hyundai seems to be willing to add alot of the no cost to them options at no cost to you.

Good point, the dbw thing has made a cruise control a simple software upgrade away...

I just got my new Car & Driver in the mail. They picked the new 2014 Mazda 3 by fifteen points over the 2014 Focus.

Meanwhile, on Accord:
Cruise control
Auto on/off headlights
Alloy wheels
Dual zone automatic climate control
Rearview camera
Bluetooth
SMS text message function
Pandora compatibility
Steering wheel mounted controls audio/cruise/phone
Remote keyless entry

...and that's the base model. Honda has found that economies of scale can work in their favor and they can more than make up for the incremental cost of those features by moving more units because of them.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55

Don't lay down unknown facts about my friends in a blanket statement , you don't know these people or how they run their business....I do !

If you have problems with the integrity of dealerships/car salesmen/Ford products...whatever , go cry somewhere else .

Even the most jaded fanboy would admit that there are VERY FEW of these types of folks in the car biz!!!

This family owned business is an exception...absolutely . You should see the sales they have for a small town dealership that has grown huge over the years .

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

It's a new turn signal stalk and harness on the Jetta S. As I understand it, you don't even need to flash the BCM or PCM for it.

Blind spot monitoring on the 6 requires Touring, and the base only has auto off headlights not auto on. but who cares about headlight on/off since i can handle that task.

Good news is, wife now is cool with the mazda 6 style. Bad news, she also liked a new CRV (gasp!) So i think today its a Mazda 6 or Accord Sport (only to get the black color) No way i'd buy a new CRV when its been the same for years and nothing special imo.

Originally Posted By: dcf
I just got my new Car & Driver in the mail. They picked the new 2014 Mazda 3 by fifteen points over the 2014 Focus.

I've been very impressed by the new 3; my MS3 has been so much fun that I almost forget it is FWD.
Almost.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Meanwhile, on Accord:
Cruise control
Auto on/off headlights
Alloy wheels
Rearview camera
Bluetooth
Pandora compatibility
Remote keyless entry

...and that's the base model. Honda has found that economies of scale can work in their favor and they can more than make up for the incremental cost of those features by moving more units because of them.

Please stop comparing a compact car with a midsize car, it just isn't a fair comparison. Compare the Mazda 3 with the Honda Civic, or the Honda Accord with the Mazda 6, but please stop comparing the Mazda 3 with the Honda Accord.

BC.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Bad news, she also liked a new CRV (gasp!) So i think today its a Mazda 6 or Accord Sport (only to get the black color) No way i'd buy a new CRV when its been the same for years and nothing special imo.

You said in your first post that a manual transmission was a requirement. If she's looking at a CR-V, is a manual no longer a requirement? Because that's black-and-white there: the CR-V simply doesn't offer it.

It otherwise meets your criteria, especially the drive-it-forever-reliability. It's hard to find a CR-V owner who isn't 100% pleased with their vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: gofast182
Meanwhile, on Accord:
Cruise control
Auto on/off headlights
Alloy wheels
Rearview camera
Bluetooth
Pandora compatibility
Remote keyless entry

Please stop comparing a compact car with a midsize car, it just isn't a fair comparison. Compare the Mazda 3 with the Honda Civic, or the Honda Accord with the Mazda 6, but please stop comparing the Mazda 3 with the Honda Accord.

BC.

Understand your point but I highly suggest you read the title of the thread you're posting that in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back