Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't go with a snooze fest - go with the Mazda
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Don't go with a snooze fest - go with the Mazda
smile.gif

Agreed.

Not so much a recommendation, though I've read good things about it, as much as it's another option to keep in mind...Chevy Cruze and the upscale version, Buick Verano....of course, I have the Camry MT and like it, so I suggest that as well...(2011 being the last year available I think).

A manual trans buick would be sweet, but it seems like it TMVs around 29,000 on edmunds. ouch!

I read a quick review(can't remember which source) of an '13 Accord LX 4 cyl/manual tranny that did 0-60 in 6.7 sec. And got high 30's(~38 mpg) on the hiwy

I think Accord is your best bet. This new model has a great chassis, engine, and level of equipment. Instrumented testing indicates the engine is underrated and it's actually quick for what it is, moreso than the 6. All you have to do is read reviews and you'll find that snooze fest is a pretty naive description even when considering the good points of the 6.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I read a quick review(can't remember which source) of an '13 Accord LX 4 cyl/manual tranny that did 0-60 in 6.7 sec. And got high 30's(~38 mpg) on the hiwy

Exactly my point.

You might want to check out the resale values of the Mazda3. It is the the most overpriced car on the secondary market, IMO, which is good for you. A C.P.O. Mazda3 sells within a couple hundred $$ of brand new around here.

I have a 2013 Honda Accord Sport with manual trans and love it, it is pretty quick, gives amazing fuel mileage and tons of room inside, just a nice place to be in while you are driving. Having dealt with Mazda Customer Assistance when I had a problem on a Maxda 3 I swore I would never ever look at their product again. Honda has a reputation for quality, whereas Mazda has one for zoom zoom but the rust and small failures are not worth it to me.

The HPFP issue is getting overblown now and even if you were that unlucky in 2013 there is a cheap aftermarket solution for after the warranty period. It will save you from replacing the entire fuel system.

I wouldn't touch Honda or Toyota anymore, their "perceived" reliability based on brand doesn't hold water in the real world anymore. The other Asian car makers are surpassing them in that regard.

I would buy a Hyundai before even setting foot in a Honda dealer.

Honda & Toyota are no longer the kings.

There's a guy on TDI club that had to have his HPFP (and entire fuel system) done TWICE. What are the odds of that? Most people are saying less than 1% chance of it happening once, but man, two times same car same guy? VW covered it each time but weeks without your car sucks.

That and cars like the Mazda 3 are just as cheap per mile to drive as the TDI since at least half the year there is a heavy premium on diesel fuel. (now, in utah, 65 cents) I am the biggest die hard diesel fan out there but i also crunch every number and over analyze everything.

I think for a while now one buys a TDI more for the whole package and less about "just" fuel savings. In my estimation my fuel savings pays for repairs, making it about the same as a 35mpg gasser. Now that the modern diesels are low 40's and there are a number of gassers hitting that, I don't think it's so clear--unless if you like low end torque, Euro feel, etc.

Even if you go after the fuel savings, how long does it take, and how long will you own it for? Vehicle needs may change faster than the car actually wearing out.

If you're thinking of Accords then the Mazda 6 should be the one to compare to (which won all tests except one done by auto rags over the accord, just FYI, and we own one, and it's a great car), not the Mazda 3 !

I walked a Mazda lot briefly today, the 6 looks better than the 3, and looks way bigger inside. Now to convince the wife the 6 is not a "man" car.

The 3 is too expensive compared to the 6 and accord. My wife likes the 3's look is all. Base model 6 comes with cruise control. TMV on a base 6 is only 21k, similar to an Accord LX. Less than 2,000 bucks to go from a 3 to a 6, tells me the 3 is overpriced.

We've had this TDI for at about 6 years. It has never failed us, nor is there really anything wrong with it today. Seems like a good time to sell it. Keeping it would likely involve a clutch, injector pump, timing belt, motor mounts, interior electrical parts, turbo, maybe more to keep it going till 400 or 500k miles.

A new purchase would be a 10+ year ownership goal.

The car is for wife. Let her pick especially a wife who drives a 300k car. Not worth getting a car you don't like at the outset. I owned one once(95 Civic) and hated all 9yrs/250k miles I drove it.

Originally Posted By: dareo
There's a guy on TDI club that had to have his HPFP (and entire fuel system) done TWICE. What are the odds of that? Most people are saying less than 1% chance of it happening once, but man, two times same car same guy? VW covered it each time but weeks without your car sucks.

That and cars like the Mazda 3 are just as cheap per mile to drive as the TDI since at least half the year there is a heavy premium on diesel fuel. (now, in utah, 65 cents) I am the biggest die hard diesel fan out there but i also crunch every number and over analyze everything.

It has to be said if his needed to be done twice it was a mistake on the replacement the first time. Dealer probably tried flushing the lines instead of outright replacing or were just sloppy.

Having said that I wholeheartedly agree about it being a number crunching adventure regarding diesel. I am contemplating getting rid of mine just because I don't enough anymore.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I walked a Mazda lot briefly today, the 6 looks better than the 3, and looks way bigger inside. Now to convince the wife the 6 is not a "man" car.

The 3 is too expensive compared to the 6 and accord. My wife likes the 3's look is all. Base model 6 comes with cruise control. TMV on a base 6 is only 21k, similar to an Accord LX. Less than 2,000 bucks to go from a 3 to a 6, tells me the 3 is overpriced.

We've had this TDI for at about 6 years. It has never failed us, nor is there really anything wrong with it today. Seems like a good time to sell it. Keeping it would likely involve a clutch, injector pump, timing belt, motor mounts, interior electrical parts, turbo, maybe more to keep it going till 400 or 500k miles.

A new purchase would be a 10+ year ownership goal.

The 3 may look expensive, but its their best selling vehicle and they hold their resale value incredibly well. I've had two Mazda 3's and have loved them both. Enough power, very well optioned and light on their feet. Can handle the twistys exceedingly well. Extremely easy to work on by todays standards too.

I still cannot believe that Subaru outsells Mazda.

Walked out into the parking lot today. This is what I saw:

38342b11-5399-42ee-ba7d-f7dd3b72b309.jpg

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I still cannot believe that Subaru outsells Mazda.

Different parts of the continent I guess.
I see a fair amount of both around here.

I'm a fan of the Accord Sport. But I'd certainly go kick some tires on the Mazda lot before buying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back