10w30 SO WRONG???

Status
Not open for further replies.
But now I am reading that Mobil 1's viscosity of 10w30 is much thinner than 5w30. If I am correct is that Mobil 1 may as well call there 10w30 a 5w30 and their 5w30 a 10w30 right? Why did they do that?

They won't take a sample, but they will ask for receipts if you change it yourself or invoices if you take it to a quick lube. That will prove when you changed it and what oil viscosity you used.

Darryl

It doesn't make a difference if you use 5w20 or 5w30. They can not deny a claim because they recommend 5w20 but they do not tell you in the manual you must use 5w20. If they told you have to use 5w20 and nothing else then they would have to supply you the oil for free. Theres a law out there I forgot what it was but it says exactly that.

But just by looking at Mobil 1 numbers you would be just as good off as using 10w30 as well as 5w30. 10w30 is much thinner than 5w30 that would make it just as close to 5w20. So if I am reading the numbers correctly.

quote:

Originally posted by Timothy Ferguson:
Theres a law out there I forgot what it was but it says exactly that.

I think what the law involved was brand selection, not oil grade. Oil grade is an engineering related item they can specify and require (especially now with EPA mandated CAFE requirements). Brand is not engineering related since the engineering goes across brands with the API ratings.

My friends father works for Ford and they use bulk 10w30 and thats what they service all cars new and old with. Even the ones that call for 5w20. I asked couldn't Ford get in trouble for using 10w30 when they manual 'RECOMMENDS' 5w20? "He says absolutly not. The manual just recommends 5w20 doesn't mean you have to use it. As long as you preform basic maintance on the car you will be fine (hint hint change the oil). Plus most Ford dealerships down here use 10w30 beause the cost is cheaper and it get way to hot down here in the Georgia weather. I have even called the service department and they even said they would use 10w30 even though its under warrenty.

I wouldn't worry about them denying your warrenty over 5w30 or 10w30.

Even my wife owns a 2004 Mazda MPV and mazda uses 10w30 in there oil change tanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Mulaka:
If this is all true then I think I want to switch my wife's 2005 Honda Accord 4cy from Mobile 1 5w-20 over to Mobile 1 5w-30. What if my engine screws up during the warranty period...is there a way they can take a sample of the oil, know that is not a 20wt, and deny my claim?

Unless your dealer is a total pr*ck and wants to scr*w you then should have no problems as long as it appears that you changed the oil regularly within Honda's time/mileage requirements. If your engine is visibly sludged then you ARE toast.

When Ford 5W-20 came out it was a better quality oil than the majority of dino 5W-30 oils, that's why Ford could back spec it in many AMERICAN made engines. The recent Ford engines that are not spec'd for 5W-20 are European made engines. They most likely don't have 5W-20 oil commonly available in Europe hence the use of 5W-30 or thicker. This is just an idea to counter the "evil conspiracy theory" idea many people seem to have about the use of 5W-20 Ford spec's oil.

Plus if I recall the use of 5W-20 in Honda engines produced great UOA's. "Thicker ain't always better"
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Timothy Ferguson:
But now I am reading that Mobil 1's viscosity of 10w30 is much thinner than 5w30. If I am correct is that Mobil 1 may as well call there 10w30 a 5w30 and their 5w30 a 10w30 right? Why did they do that?

The viscosity at OPERATING temperature (212 F or 100 C) may be lower on Mobil's 10W30 than Mobil's 5W30, but that has no bearing on the number to the left of the W.
The number to the left of the W is related to the lowest temperature at which a car's oil pump will be able to pump the oil.
I would be willing to wager that Mobil 5W30 will pump at a temperature several degrees colder than Mobil 10W30 will pump at.
Remember though, I'm talking PUMPING here, not flow. The flow points for either oil do not directly determine the number to the left of the W. The lowest temp an oil will flow at is always lower than the temp it will pump at.

"The recent Ford engines that are not spec'd for 5W-20 are European made engines."

There are Ford service bulletins on vehicles filled with 5w20 for use in the US, but if they're shipped overseas they will recommend a heavier oil. Doesn't matter where it's made, it's a simple matter of Ford using 5w20 for fuel economy reasons, just as they said that they do in the TSB recommending 5w20.

No conspiracy, just a plain fact.

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
This is an important topic to me because I have 10w-30 in my f150 now. I did notice it was (not quite)thin like water when I poured it in the motor. At the time the oil was about 80 degrees because I warmed it up on the heater vent in the house.

I think climate affects viscosity choice because here temps will be warm for the next 7 months.

jorton, my Expedition has seen 10W30 from day one. she's got 120K miles now, and a supercharger, and she still has great compression and runs like a champ.

I'm in CA, so it's never really cold here.

If this is all true then I think I want to switch my wife's 2005 Honda Accord 4cy from Mobile 1 5w-20 over to Mobile 1 5w-30. What if my engine screws up during the warranty period...is there a way they can take a sample of the oil, know that is not a 20wt, and deny my claim?

Consider this. A gentleman in Phoenix has contracted with an independent designer/manufacturer to produce a custom made oil for his very expensive automobile (the make of which escapes me at the moment). This car owner is using a monograde 0W oil year 'round, which includes summer temperatures into triple digits, the most severe of which can be in the 120 degree F range.

I haven't heard yet how his car is holding up, but regardless, I do believe the next generation of oils will reflect the consideration to use lighter weight oils for purposes of better lubricity and better fuel efficiency -- as long as the oils can be formulated to survive the punishment from the engines and the weather.

It will come . . .

Heres one for ya!.....Our daughter is now driving our old 1988 Honda Accord 2.0 carb. w/ 327,000 miles on the clock. This car has had regular 4-5000 mile OCI's, with the required 5W30/10W30 motor oil. I have been the only mechanic this car has ever known, and the car has been driven up & down the east coast for many years. Now that our daughter has taken over the car, the miles are not being piled on as rapidly as before. Due to the rising cost of fuel, she is complaining about her out of pocket $$$ at the pump. She drives to & from H.S.School,(5 miles each way), part time job,(about the same), and just alot of general running around,(many short trips-5-10 miles), with the car being shut down for hours in between restarts. I have recently started using 5W20 motor oil,(along with other good fuel economy practices), only to see if there is an increase in MPG. This car has never burned oil, nor does it leak any to this day. MPG has always been beyond the EPA est. Rest assured, I'am only trying this temporarily for MPG reasons...Responces Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back