0w20 vs 5w20 in hot weather

Which oil is better for hot weather like in Florida

interesting thing is that this hyundai in other countries manuals says to use 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 and 0w40, all depending on temps car will be in. In usa they want you to use 0w20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just answering the question and ignoring the 2nd paragraph since that is not part of the question. Either will be equal in hot weather. 0W20 will have an edge in sub-freezing weather, but both will be equal in warm/hot weather.

Do engines last longer in the countries where thicker oil is to be used according to the owners manual? I will add Hyundai did recommend 5W30 in some turbos some years ago and made a TSB to use 5W40 instead.

interesting thing is that this hyundai in other countries manuals says to use 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 and 0w40, all depending on temps car will be in. In usa they want you to use 0w20, i call bs on this.
Nope they are right . If the Manufacturer of a vehicle calls for 0w20 in all climates then that’s what we are supposed to use . Who are we to over thinking what the Manufacturers recommended. WHO ? 🫥🫥😎

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 105
Makes no differance. It's the thermostat that controls engine temperature so if the air temperature is 100°F or 0°F, the engine temperature will be around 195°F after warmup in either climate. Miles and thus wear of the engine would be a more importaint determining factor in what weight to use. My Corolla calls for 0W20, but with 250,000 miles, I'll probably use 5W30.

Let me rephrase the question, which oil is more shear stable in hot weather?
This question is perhaps more germane to your goal; that of hot weather use. HTHS scores would help you understand that here.

Further, you don't state what your OCI is intended to be. Whereas one lube might have a slightly better HTHS score over some other choice, it really only matters that ANY lube is not used past a safe point.

Presuming wear control is your goal, it's very likely that you'd not see any discernible difference between any two grade products as your initial question states, between 0w-20 and 5w-20.

Let me rephrase the question, which oil is more shear stable in hot weather?
This question is perhaps more germane to your goal; that of hot weather use. HTHS scores would help you understand that here.

Further, you don't state what your OCI is intended to be. Whereas one lube might have a slightly better HTHS score over some other choice, it really only matters that ANY lube is not used past a safe point.

Presuming wear control is your goal, it's very likely that you'd not see any discernible difference between any two grade products as your initial question states, between 0w-20 and 5w-20.
At first, I'd say "The oil formulated with the better base oils."

Now, after perhaps knowing a bit more.... I would say, "The oil that is overall blended better and gets the better NOACK rating."

A brand was mentioned (High Performance Lubricants) and I really like the brand but. Moving on from that one recommendation.. I believe or recall a test I believe it was with Mpbil 1 where the 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 were compared for their "shear stability" (???? I'm remembering from some time ago) and the 0W came out on top as the one that won that comparison. @Astro14 might know more about that, I only somewhat remember and then we have that part that the W or "Winter" rating is supposed to have nothing to do with the 2nd number, which is the SAE grade. (Astro I thought there was a study done, maybe with Mobil, unless I am misremembering.)

Thank you for asking this question here vs where most people have bad information about motor oil, which surprisingly includes most brand-specific car forums and of course includes YouTube. You'll get straight answers and good info here.

Last edited:
I have owned enough vehicles and worked in fleet repairs to know your statement is made in ignorance.
I have owned enough vehicles and worked in fleet repairs to know your statement is made in ignorance.
My statement was made as joke but you want to go with ignorance that’s fine I’ll sleep fine on whatever u think . With that being said someone having a powertrain failure due to using the wrong fluid the owner is footing that bill.

Cold starts would be the reason for the different recommendations. Once the thermostat begins operation, the engine is always "hot"

Shear stability is a matter of both the stability of the base stocks and the additives, particularly VII, in that oil.

There are a lot of potential differences in both across brands, so, I don’t think a broad generalization of “10W30 is better than 0W30” can be made, because one would have to look at the particular oil in question.

A 0w30 with better VII and more group IV base might be more shear stable than a 10W30 made with group III and different additives. You can get a really shear stable 5W20, and I mean really shear stable, right here, of course:

I think the bigger question is: for what Hyundai engine do you intend this oil and what are you trying to achieve?

I mean, is your engine known for shearing?

Back