10w30 Havoline 4900 mi. on 97 Grand Prix GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that water pump isn't seeping, I would think it would be the alternator. That 3.3 engine is the exact same as the 3.8, and they have proven to be darn near bullet proof with regular oil changes. I too had to replace the water pump, alternator, plug and wires and coil pack. Nothing out of the ordinary. Interesting, my oil pressure guage has been jumping around the whole spectrum since 100K, maybe I too need to put in a new oil pressure switch. But back to my first statement: Is it worth the extra bucks?

Hope I've found the cause of the rattling noise. I took off the waterpump, which was not leaking, and when I spin the shaft it makes the same pitch noise and when it's running. Wish I had the engineer by the gonads. The far left bolt for the pump is behind the power steering pulley. Talk about a pain to get back on. Also decided to change the thermostat but the parts guy didn't put my gasket in the sack. Was too late to go back so I will finish tomorrow. The tensioner pulley seem to be ok. Also putting new Deathcool in. I feel confident this is the source of the rattling.

I think I have eventually replaced the water pump on everything I have owned. Even the RWD stuff was a PITA. As for the Grand Am Quad 4. the admistrators would throw me off the board for my opinion.

quote:

Moly 53 1 35

Did anyone else notice this?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Very nice! Definitely one of the best 3.8 reports we've seen! This engine looks to be able to go 300-400k without batting an eye.

No way man...you know American cars self destruct at 50k miles!!
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
If that water pump isn't seeping, I would think it would be the alternator. That 3.3 engine is the exact same as the 3.8, and they have proven to be darn near bullet proof with regular oil changes. I too had to replace the water pump, alternator, plug and wires and coil pack. Nothing out of the ordinary. Interesting, my oil pressure guage has been jumping around the whole spectrum since 100K, maybe I too need to put in a new oil pressure switch. But back to my first statement: Is it worth the extra bucks?

The 3.3 was always a bit different than the 3.8. It would be completely different than the series II engine in the GP, although the accessories are similar.

-T

Labman, I know what you mean about the Quad 4. That was my other high mileage car. Was great for the first 100,000 miles. After that a lot of headaches. Put on 2 head gaskets, and had trouble with the computer twice, numerous ignition troubles. But that little sucker got at least 30 mpg and would fly. It was still running pretty good when I sold it for $1000 but needed a starter, which looked like a booger to change. I've spent less than $600 in repairs on this GP. Very good in my estimation.

Some of these Havoline/Chevron UOA's are the best on the board. You clearly don't need a synthetic for 5k mile drains.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Some of these Havoline/Chevron UOA's are the best on the board. You clearly don't need a synthetic for 5k mile drains.

Agreed. Sometimes I don't get why some here use syn for 5k drains unless the manufacter states 5k oci. still waiting for that mobil 1 EP 5k UOA though.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Merkava,

You do realize this UOA is over 7 YEARS OLD!

Talk about bringing up and old post!!!

LOL..he had the HG changed in 08.

Well times have changed. Havoline was an excellent Dino oil back in the day with the real strong add pack. Ah....the memories! Why did they change the formulation and make it a weak sister to Chevron Dino Supreme. I know that I won't be buying any Havoline SN, GF-5 and Chevron is not available in my market.

Thank goodness that SOPUS has not followed the pack and continues to make great, traditional, quality Dino oils that are readily available. PYB, Formula Shell and QSAD are my Dino picks for a quality brand name Dino Oil when needed.

The only Chevron product that I buy is Techron Fuel System cleaner. Chevron and Texaco gasoline is great....but not available in my market...just like their motor oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back