100 mile oil filter

LDB

I decided on my new car I'm going at 100 miles and get the oil filter changed and oil topped off. I figure if there's any bits they'll be loose by then and trapped in the filter. It will cost me about $25 at my local shop. Then I'll go with once a year oil changes which with my driving will be 3k-3.5k miles. It probably isn't necessary but I figure for $25 it can't hurt anything and it's extra peace of mind.

I did just the opposite. I dumped the oil as soon as I got home from the dealer, and left the filter for 1,000 miles, then dropped the oil and filter, and went with 5K OCI's in my 2016 JKR.
27.gif
My logic was what was trapped in the filter was not coming out, and what wasn't trapped from the break in metals was coming out with the oil. I also wanted the factory fill 5W20 out and 5W30 in its place.

Last edited:
What Chris142 said. Go 1,000 miles, then do an oil / filter change. I have always done that in new cars. Use cars get oil / filter change at 1,000 miles also (unless I'm not clear on when oil was last changed, then it gets it right away.)

Did my new 2008 Caddy at 800 mi. Found some RTV sealer and a little bit of metal shavings, like sparkles on the filter media, so , not a bad idea in my opinion.

Probably pointless. Any chips of shavings left from manufacturing will be too large and irregular to block pores in the filter media.
When I took off the original filter from my Mazda, there was a large shaving stuck part-way through an oil entry hole in the base plate, but nothing notable visible in the media.

Back