10 w 30 engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change my oil with 10w 30 semy syhthetic/ mineral oil.
I'm affraid to thin for the engine.
Nissan Terano D21 hardbody 2.4L Carb
Manual Trans, 4x2, milage 78123 mile...
yesterday i change trans lube with GL5, but manual book said gl4..is that make problem in the future ???

translube --use/seek GL4
10W30 for petrol engine is absolutely fine. If you think that's thin enough already, think we are using 0W30, 5W20 nowadays.

Q.

For your Nissan truck,10W30,10W40 should be just fine. Do you know what manual tranny it has? What year is your truck?

i don't know transmission ??? i heard that GL-5 can eat syncro in the trans????
2001, but in us 1995..just old school truck...

Your truck probably has the same in-house Nissan tranny that my Z has. Not sure if the GL5 would hurt anything or not,BUT I wouldn`t leave it in there if it were me. I`d change it out to something like Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90. You`ll more than likely have to mail order it,but it`s well worth it.

Last edited:
GL5 doesn't "eat" trannie, but mainly to do with different friction properties causing accelerated synchro wear.

As far as petrol engine's concerned: since you live in Indonesia, what sort of motor oil option do you have over there? Any domestic brands/weight info you can provide us with? Also: what's the most commonly available imported brands/weight you can get locally?

Also: because your engine is "carbed", you shall stick with approx. 3000miles/5000kms oil change interval with high quality multiviscosity oil; more frequently so if your engine is working in extreme conditions, or your carb is out of adjustment, thermostat not working properly, etc.

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
GL5 doesn't "eat" trannie, but mainly to do with different friction properties causing accelerated synchro wear.

Actually "eat" isn't a bad description. The high sulfur content of GL-5 gear oil is corrosive to copper/brass alloy synchronizer components. It doesn't wear them away, it corrodes them away.

There are synchros out there that are immune to sulfur based EP additives, so not all transmissions have a problem with GL-5 fluid, but some have very serious issues. For example, the Aisin AX15 in late 90s Jeepshas problems even with GL-4 fluid and really needs GL-3... which is unobtainium so we Jeep guys are now using 10w40 or 15w50 engine oil (per Chrysler recommendation) with great success.

OP is in Indonesia, not North America.

He would have better success sourcing whatever is available locally (from his local importer, etc.) than getting RP, which may not have too big of a customer base there.

Q.

OP is in Indonesia, not North America.

He would have better success sourcing whatever is available locally (from his local importer, etc.) than getting RP, which may not have too big of a customer base there.

Q.

33.gif
i guess i take for granted all the little things

Just like what Falcon_LS posted before RE: domestically avail motor oil: some domestic motor oil available from local blender may seem passing API rating, but begs to scrutinse when they started to shear out of grade so quickly, it makes you wonder how "truthful" those blenders are when it comes to holding up to their promise.

Q.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Actually "eat" isn't a bad description. The high sulfur content of GL-5 gear oil is corrosive to copper/brass alloy synchronizer components. It doesn't wear them away, it corrodes them away.

There are synchros out there that are immune to sulfur based EP additives, so not all transmissions have a problem with GL-5 fluid, but some have very serious issues. For example, the Aisin AX15 in late 90s Jeepshas problems even with GL-4 fluid and really needs GL-3... which is unobtainium so we Jeep guys are now using 10w40 or 15w50 engine oil (per Chrysler recommendation) with great success.

Exactly.

@440Magnum:

This is Mola's response RE: GL4/GL5:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=522678

Thanks for linking that. To me the most applicable phrase is:

"Good question ALL S/P type GL-4/5 gear oils at some time over use WILL cause brass corrosion they are inhibited for this BUT you must run a "normal" change out say 30K or so."

The oils may be chemically inhibited to reduce corrosion, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it may also depend on the exact nature of the synchro material as well- a good example being the problems observed in the Asin AX-15 after relatively short periods with GL-5 lubricants.

ok...thanks buddy...i will fix it as soon as possible...
i have changed engine oil for Mobil Super 10w 30 API SM GF-4 Mineral + cheap oil filter..only 26 bucks!!!!
Stater feels quick and no rattle like before with 20w 50 Pertamina XP lub(state owned) when cold/in the morning.
Now i believe that 10w 30 grade oil suitable for old car but not for worn engine or burning oil. I have read several times article from dr Aehass....the surgeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back