10 cents a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a former grocery store employee, it was a major pain in the butt when people brought their own bags.

a.) they were a pain to load because they wouldn't stand up on their own.
b.) the customer would forget they brought them and notify us when we were 75% done bagging the order.
c.) people would complain about plastic bags tearing and then pick them up by 1 (one) handle.

Oh the good ol days. I feel everyone should work for the public at least once in their lives.

Are they missing the chance to charge for the use of shopping carts? And the parking lots don't even have meters, yet. The bag boys are still free, so far. Will there be a surcharge for cold beer vs room temperature beer?

Life is getting more complicated every year. Tomorrow I'm going out to the lower 40 and shoot dinner.

Grocery stores have been wanting to charge for bags for decades . Bags are a huge expense. California is the most corrupt state in the union.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Grocery stores have been wanting to charge for bags for decades . Bags are a huge expense. California is the most corrupt state in the union.

Here's a 50% of the US population map. Scary stuff.
Here

Grocery stores have been wanting to charge for bags for decades .

Grocery stores already charge for bags. It's built into the price of everything you purchase. The California monarchs mandated an additional tax for their plebeian masses in order to generate additional revenue. The masses ignorantly granted the monarchs their wish.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I actually like the law because now I don't look so weird when I bring my own paper bag into the store. I get the empty cardboard apple boxes from the produce guy and use those boxes as trunk organizers. One apple box will hold two full size paper grocery bags and prevents them from tipping over while driving.

This x1000! A regional chain here leaves their old wholesale food crates by the entrance and one crate will hold almost all my groceries (save gallons of milk, 10 lb potato bags etc) and the stuff doesn't tip over on the way home.

The only flaw is I should remember my pocket knife so I can whittle handles into said box, and lift the whole thing into my kitchen when I get home.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Will there be a surcharge for cold beer vs room temperature beer?

When I was a kid, there was a surcharge for cold pop. And, liquor stores didn't have cold beer, only offsales did, and the latter charged more money, so there effectively was a surcharge.

dlundblad: You said, " I feel everyone should work for the public at least once in their lives." . I agree and they should be graded!
People should work by themselves too and be assessed for their performance there too.
Girls should do "guy stuff" and guys should do "girl stuff".

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Are they missing the chance to charge for the use of shopping carts? And the parking lots don't even have meters, yet. The bag boys are still free, so far. Will there be a surcharge for cold beer vs room temperature beer?

Life is getting more complicated every year. Tomorrow I'm going out to the lower 40 and shoot dinner.
On the rare occasions I pick up beer at the state line liquor store just over the border in Indiana, they indeed charge more for cold beer vs. room temperature-I've busted them for trying to charge the cold price when I had the warm!

Now I have to buy bags. But I buy the 13 gal garbage bags for the kitchen. I used to use the free bags. The reason for it isn't left wing craziness, it is like so many things, it's people who litter. I go to the ocean to walk the dog 7 days a week, and people leave trash on the ground when there are trash cans nearby. Those plastic bags fly all over, and someone has to be paid to clean them up, or people pick them up, or they just foul the scenery and harm wildlife. Even in cities, someone has to clean up the plastic ....

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I for one vote against any tax increase or stupid law like this one. I have lived here all of my 53 years and have seen the people get nuttier and nuttier over the years. Prop 63 is the one that I just can't believe passed. What is wrong with these people? Background check to buy ammo? Really? I buy the bags as we need them for cat litter and to line small trash cans.
California. I am leaving.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
As a former grocery store employee, it was a major pain in the butt when people brought their own bags.

a.) they were a pain to load because they wouldn't stand up on their own.
b.) the customer would forget they brought them and notify us when we were 75% done bagging the order.
c.) people would complain about plastic bags tearing and then pick them up by 1 (one) handle.

Oh the good ol days. I feel everyone should work for the public at least once in their lives.

I agree!! Everyone should have to spend some time working retail.

We were closely divided on bags. I wonder if any of these unpopular laws will be repealed?

Yes 5,511,280 52.5%

No 4,990,495 47.5

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Grocery stores have been wanting to charge for bags for decades .

Grocery stores already charge for bags. It's built into the price of everything you purchase. The California monarchs mandated an additional tax for their plebeian masses in order to generate additional revenue. The masses ignorantly granted the monarchs their wish.

Years ago I worked for Safeway stores so I understand exactly how stores work. Will the sheep like consumer see a drop in prices because of the new law?

I don't know if the stores used to hide the price of the plastic bags into the prices of merchandise. I do know that I am paying the same price for eggs, milk, cereal, soy sauce, etc. that I was paying in the past. Only now I get to pay an extra fee for bags if I forget to bring my own.

When I was doing the loss prevention detective job, the team did catch someone coming into the store with reusable bags and loading them up and trying to walk out without paying. While I was training for the job, my supervisor told me to always watch the ones that bring their own bags, because once in a while they use the bags for stealing. Now a lot more people will be coming in with their own bags, glad I quit the LP job.

I know some people have been using their own reusable shopping bags long before the law came to be, and that's great, but I was not one of those people because I couldn't be bothered to make a simple run into a market more work/responsibility than it needed to be. That's just my personality. Usually when it comes to change I do just fine, but this change I don't like. But what can I do...nothing. I voted against it. I guess I will get used to it as time goes on, just like anything, but why should I have to, ugh.

I feel for the parents that already have their hands full and attention focused on their kids when going to the market. Now having to add additional stuff to carry around and remember, all the while getting the kids out of the car in a busy shopping center parking lot. Big families need to carry a lot of bags.

I like the comment about what can we expect next: metered parking spaces, pay for using a shopping cart...? And then tell consumers that those fees used to be hidden in the retail prices. But now we have to pay them up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back