Plastic bags slowly going away

I’ve been out here in Carlisle PA area since last Saturday. Every store has done away with plastic bags. The beers I got had cardboard ring instead of plastic. I went to Wegmans with stepdad and brought 4 reusable bags with me. They only had paper for a nickel or reusable. Call me crazy but I like the effort by stores to minimize plastics. What do you folks think?

Happy New Year to all also as I’ll be home tomorrow 🇺🇸🇨🇦

I could go either way. Less plastic use is good. But many, including myself, find these bags as great trashcan liners. Free at that.

Im not sure how much more oil plastic bags uses over paper… and just because a reusable bag is reusable doesn’t mean it saves oil. If its thick, gets used three times then gets tossed because it got closed in a door and torn… what was the savings?

I hate plastic grocery bags. Might as well dump your groceries into big mixing bowl and stir them up and dump them into your trunk in a big heap. Of course if you try to get the bagger to fit stuff into paper its like you asked them to speak Martian.

I went to the Asian market yesterday. They put everything I bought into a empty box their goods came in. I took the cardboard box to recycling this AM.

I think government should stay out of my pocket and leave us to choose what we want or not.
I could go either way. Federal government banned leaded gasoline—but it was the one to let it exist in the first place.

I could go either way. Less plastic use is good. But many, including myself, find these bags as great trashcan liners. Free at that.

Im not sure how much more oil plastic bags uses over paper… and just because a reusable bag is reusable doesn’t mean it saves oil. If its thick, gets used three times then gets tossed because it got closed in a door and torn… what was the savings?

The reusable bags I have are made from old denim, cloth etc not plastics

I will agree to a point. Growing up I remember coffee in steel cans and milk cartons. I personally don’t think recycling places are recycling plastics as much as they can. Am I wrong?
I know here in SC we are supplied with HUGE garbage cans on wheels, one for recycling and one for trash.
We are not allowed to put plastic bags in the recycle bin, if you do they cant and wont take the trash. They say the plastic bags jam up the sorting machines back at the recycling plant. This only goes for plastic bags, they take everything else with a recycle symbol on it.

The reusable bags I have are made from old denim, cloth etc not plastics
Sounds good to me. I got some recently but I think they are straight up plastic. Fold up nicely, I think $3 per? might have been for a pair. Tossed into the car and of course, I basically never think to grab when I run in, lol.

Wife has a stack of reusa bags in her car, but she goes multiple times. Now that I think about it, she has had some denim ones for years, but a couple of freezer ones which are plasticky. Gotten years out of them though.

I'd like to call it 'recycling their boxes for them'. Same with Chinese takeout, or huge Costco runs.
Makes a lot of sense, its a big machine to crush and bail corrogated cardboard into bales. If they could give away the boxes they are saving money!

Ohh, this is bad news. They just can't do away with the plastic bags from the grocery store. I use them to dispose of my scooped cat litter. It's a staple of my everyday life. How could they make such a decision without considering the impact it would have on world peace?

Ohh, this is bad news. They just can't do away with the plastic bags from the grocery store. I use them to dispose of my scooped cat litter. It's a staple of my everyday life. How could they make such a decision without considering the impact it would have on world peace?
Dont worry, this is and will never be in some states, you can guess which states have restrictive laws like these. ;)

I hate these single use plastic bags, they end up everywhere making a mess and destroying the environment. I've had them stuck in the wheels of my car, melt to the exhaust and blow into my yard.

I was in Maui last year and on the way to sightsee and passed a landfill, across the street those stupid bags were everywhere, thousands of them had been picked up by the wind and stuck in all the plants. It was a gross and sad sight.

Back