Wow , talk about a brain fart ...

So I went to the grocery store this morning . Upon leaving , I opened the passenger door of my truck and started loading the bags . Something didn't look right . Then it hit me . The logo on the steering wheel said Ford . I drive a Nissan . :eek: In my defense , both vehicles were white and parked right next to each other .. I thought it was odd that the door was unlocked but figured that I had just forgotten to lock it . Old age I guess .

I once got out of the local county offices and walked to my 2017 silver Fusion.
I used the "Securicode" entry ... door didn't unlock.
Tried it again; no luck.
Grumbling and frustration ...
Tried again. AARRRRRGGGHHHHHH !!!!

A woman walks up to me and asks what I'm doing to her car.
I said "What?"
She points to the car over one space to the south; apparently her identical car was parked next to mine.

I felt like an idiot.

Years ago, my mother had a Civic, and one day she opened the hatch to put some groceries in the back. She was surprised to find several tennis rackets back there.... So not only was it the same color car, but the key worked in it also! Apparently that was not uncommon back in the day.

YEARS ago (1970 something)... mom and dad walked out of Church, got to their car, used the key to unlock it, Start the car, drive off.
a couple miles down the road....they start to notice a few odds and ends inside the car that they didn't remember... they start to put it to gether, turn around and head back to the church...
where they found THEIR car.

some one else at the church had the identical car, year, model, Color, everything... including apparently the keys....

they accidentally stole someone's car from the church parking lot...

Similar thing happened to me at Kroger when there was a black escalade parked near mine. I kept trying to open the door but when clicking the unlock button i wouldn't hear it unlock then i looked inside closely and saw a water bottle and white charging cable and realized it wasn't mine since i had neither in mine. Mine was a row over. No one saw though.

Similar thing happened to me at Kroger when there was a black escalade parked near mine. I kept trying to open the door but when clicking the unlock button i wouldn't hear it unlock then i looked inside closely and saw a water bottle and white charging cable and realized it wasn't mine since i had neither in mine. Mine was a row over. No one saw though.
This is a simple modification to help identify your rig

IMG_1383.jpeg

I remember we had a Mercury Zephyr wagon..(For the younger ones in the audience, Mercury was a brand of Ford).. when I was a kid, dad went into a store, locked the doors, mom and I were sitting in the car.. Doors locked.. Someone walks up to the car, puts their door key in the door, unlocks the door, gets into the driver's seat.. Mom and I look over.. IT IS NOT DAD! lol.. It's some woman.. She looks at mom, me.. Mom says "have the wrong car, do ya?!" It was hilarious, the woman was stunned!

Just then dad comes back and is like "what the heck?!" We ended up comparing her door key and it was IDENTICAL to ours, the ignition key was much different though.. So funny, no the woman was not mad, but shocked! She had the same car, same color (exterior/interior).. Turns out she was parked 2 rows over!

I still love remembering the look on her face when there were already two other people in the car! hahaha..

Ya this was the days that there were two keys, one for the door and one for the ignition..

Back in the 70's my mom drove a 1968 valiant. One day she came out of the store and saw that someone had put a put a political sticker on the car that she did not agree with.

So she proceeded to start taking the sticker off when the owner of the car walked up and found her. Not sure what happened next but I assume mom found her car soon after .

So I went to the grocery store this morning . Upon leaving , I opened the passenger door of my truck and started loading the bags . Something didn't look right . Then it hit me . The logo on the steering wheel said Ford . I drive a Nissan . :eek: In my defense , both vehicles were white and parked right next to each other .. I thought it was odd that the door was unlocked but figured that I had just forgotten to lock it . Old age I guess .
Been there, done that. In my case, I caught my mistake a tad sooner. I did opened the car door and got inside and sat down. Then I realized, those are not my sunglasses on the passenger seat! 😵‍💫

Fortunately this has never happened to me nobody has the same type of cars I do or if they do different colors lol. Now I did come out to my car once during lunch it was auction day and was chilling in the driver seat eating and this lady came up to my car and said I don’t need you to keep the seat warm I need you to get out of my way so I can look I said what are you talking about? She is like this is an auction car and I’m going to tell the auctioneer if you don’t move. I’m like this is my car did you not see the plates on the vehicle or all of my belongings in the vehicle. Her response was she thought it was on consignment. I’ve also came out to people on auction day looking in my car through the windows. If they hadn’t assigned me a parking spot right next to the auction cars I would not have the problem lol. I’m just waiting till we have an identical auction car and see how many times this happens lol.

A few years ago, at what store I don't remember, I was in a hurry, my key fob wouldn't work, (first time this had ever happened), put my key in the door and it wouldn't work either; right as my brain was going fuzzy, this woman approaching angrily asked me "Can I help you?"
I wasn't embarrassed, I was getting really puzzled. I hit my key fob "unlock" button again and it unlocked--the car next to the one I was trying. Then I realized there were two cars, same make, year, model, trim and color, and mine was not the one I was putting a key into.
Then I got embarrassed, the woman smiled gently, and I walked over to my car.

As far as the keys to your older car working in other people's cars.... I remember back in high school, my friend had a late 70's Ford Pinto and he was having problems with the ignition. Went to the dealer, they said the key was bad and the guy looked at it, fumbled around in a drawer, grabbed a key, and handed it to him. My friend said "Dont I have to have it cut it to fit my locks?" and the guy said "Dont need to. Ford builds thousands of Pinto's, but they only make nine different keys. I can tell by looking at it which one you have."

My friend said "You mean I have a one in nine chance that my key will work in any random Pinto I find?" and they guy said "Yup". We learned quickly to not leave anything valuable in that piece of junk car.

Apparently at least one hotel chain worked this way for a while, we were at a yearly nerd convention in high school at a hotel in Columbus, Oh. In a hotel packed with teenagers loudly roaming the halls at 2:00 a.m. (what could possibly go wrong....) we discovered, to everyone's delighted horror, that our key, to room 807, also worked in 707.... and 607..... and 507... and 407.... and 307, etc etc. Then word got out, whatever the last two digits your room number was, your key would work on every other floor with that room number. You can imagine what we incredible mature high schoolers did with this newfound information.

Apparently at least one hotel chain worked this way for a while, we were at a yearly nerd convention in high school at a hotel in Columbus, Oh. In a hotel packed with teenagers loudly roaming the halls at 2:00 a.m. (what could possibly go wrong....) we discovered, to everyone's delighted horror, that our key, to room 807, also worked in 707.... and 607..... and 507... and 407.... and 307, etc etc. Then word got out, whatever the last two digits your room number was, your key would work on every other floor with that room number. You can imagine what we incredible mature high schoolers did with this newfound information.
I was reading about some crummy motel out in the high desert somewhere out west.... Apparently all the keys worked for all the rooms. This went on for years and supposedly very few if any guests ever complained or even noticed.

In high school I locked the keys in my Dads D100. A friend said we should try the key to his dads Dodge and see if it worked. I thought he was stupid and said as much until we tried the key, and it worked.

It’s the only time I ever locked my keys in my car.

Some years ago I was on a business trip in Texas and the rental car company was having some special deal and upgrading customers to white Lincoln Continentals. When I returned the car a few days later they advised me I returned the wrong car. Apparently a valet parking guy mixed up the cars at a restaurant. Fortunately both cars were rented from the same rental company and my car was returned by the other guy earlier that day.

My dad was at a dinner party at a Japanese restaurant in SF. Everyone was leaving and dad had just put on his shoes (you don't wear shoes on tatami).

"Uncle" Jimmy was looking for his shoes. Dad comes over and helps him look. It was a while before dad looked down at his feet and noticed that the shoes he was wearing weren't his shoes. They were Jimmy's.

My dad was at a dinner party at a Japanese restaurant in SF. Everyone was leaving and dad had just put on his shoes (you don't wear shoes on tatami).

"Uncle" Jimmy was looking for his shoes. Dad comes over and helps him look. It was a while before dad looked down at his feet and noticed that the shoes he was wearing weren't his shoes. They were Jimmy's.
This reminds me of an old fella we called Papa Ray. His wife was gone - son lived with him. Needed to fly from LAX to DFW to LGW to LOS. Son was pushing him to go - Ray was trying to do last minute stuff - he makes the first flight just in time and at 35,000’ in the front cabin crosses his leg and sees a house shoe 😵‍💫
Always the dresser he managed to get expensive cowboy boots in Dallas only to blister his feet at DFW, LGW, and LOS … 😜

Back