Plastic bags slowly going away

I like the canvas.

I use an ol sail bag I used to carry on-board - foul weather gear, changea clothes, food, etc, to go sail powered ocean racing.

Some (1950s europe) hada mesh which collapse into a pocket

You had to bag and provide your own containers to put your items in while the cashier was checking you out.
I'm too old now for the cashier to check me out! But it sounds like a good idea!

In all seriousness, ALDI has you bring your own bags and they get your items scanned quick.

I think government should stay out of my pocket and leave us to choose what we want or not. Freaking crazy that government as inefficient as it is now has its hands in private businesses and their customers dictating what they can carry groceries in. Good god.
(you asked what I thought) ;) Happy New Year though! (I mean it)
So is it okay for plastics to wash out into the ocean?

New Zealand banned single use shopping bags in 2019. At the time one of my daughters started a small business making shopping bags, and a friend of hers was marketing them...made out of scraps of material she had collected over the years. Covid put an end to that. You can buy reusable bags at the supermarket, everyone has them, and once bought they last for years. I go to the supermarket, put my stuff in a trolley, and then transfer to bags at my car, then park the trolley. No body is upset about not having single use bags, and if you don't have any you can buy one at the counter for a few cents. At the fruit and vege shop before Xmas, the girl said you'll need a box, and put my stuff in a box - great service. Oh, now I have a box ? I also have a cat....

I'd like to call it 'recycling their boxes for them'. Same with Chinese takeout, or huge Costco runs.
Works for me. I am going to the recycler anyway with all the stuff that gets delivered in boxes. I wish more stores would do it - transporting in boxes is much easier for me.

I am definitely a small government guy, but a ban on plastic bags is something I can get behind because:

1) the cost associated with them are born out by everyone / those that don't necessarily use them. The waste / trash/ litter issue which is likely the biggest cost is simply dumped on to the public as a whole.

2) There are tons of viable alternatives that don't cause hardship on anyone. Its not like forcing EV's on everyone - where everyone can't afford it and the technology really isn't mature. There are reusable bags, paper bags, use a box, whatever. We didn't have plastic bags at all 40 years ago and everyone did fine.

Love bans on plastic bags. The reduction in waste along highways /roadsides /beach is significant.

Anyone who believes government should not get involved should be out there picking them up.

That may be in your area. In mine the amount of roadside trash is increasing. We have had the bag laws in place for a while now.

It’s not just bags, it’s all kinds of junk.

I remember bagging groceries at my brother in laws grocery store back in the 70's . Brown bags , or boxes on stocking day . Never dreamed there would be such a thing as one time plastic bags .

Back