1 Quart of oil left in 2003 Accord!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My son is now stationed 3000 miles away from me at NAS Whidbey Island. While he was growing up and got his first car I would always try and grab him while I was doing oil changes or brakes and teach him. He took no interest. Now I get phone calls, like Dad they want $500 to do front brakes on my BMW, is $80 a lot for an oil change, or what's wrong when the car makes this noise? He finally took an interest because it is hitting his wallet hard.

Fortunately I was about to visit him when he needed the front brakes, he got off for about $40, and made it a point to WATCH me. He has a buddy that's a mechanic who helps him now, and he's learning. He's a very smart young man, who now realizes his old man had a reason for trying to teach him.

Good on you for helping a kid out!

Frank D

Thanks Frank. You have to be proud of your son being in the Navy!! I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island for 6 years. My wife and I loved it there!!! Greatest years of my life.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: scudpilot
He drives 40 miles round trip to school plus gym, etc. so I would say he drove at least 600 miles with the oil light on. Real good kid, but I told him red lights mean warning!! Can only wonder how long he drove it 2-3 qts low. Car holds 4.5 qts w/filter. I thought the same thing about a UOA, but the Steeler game was coming on, so had to hurry!!

crackmeup2.gif
Having some good friends in Pittsburgh I know how important the Steelers are to you. I don't know which fan is more loyal, a Steeler or Packer fan. I think all of you are just a touch off.
grin2.gif

It's good you took an interest in helping the young man. I assume you showed him how to check his oil level. My son is a senior in college and sharp as a tack, but when it comes to cars he is like his mother, dumb as a stump.

Well the Steelers won and now we go to Tenessee to play the Titans next week. Pittsburgh is Buzzing! And yes all the Rabbid fans are definately a little "off" ! The post above you from ChiTDI hit it on the head with young kids. Electronics and video games have replaced our cars as their passion growing up!! If they don't get exposed to basic maintenance when we have them home, they are destined to spend a lot of money on their cars and maybe even get ripped off a time or two from a scheister!

I also think that every young driver should know how to drive a standard transmission . . .

Frank D

I know we are slightly off topic here, but excellent point. Unfortunately all of my cars have automatics. I guess I should start looking for a beater with a stick shift.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scudpilot
My son is now stationed 3000 miles away from me at NAS Whidbey Island. While he was growing up and got his first car I would always try and grab him while I was doing oil changes or brakes and teach him. He took no interest. Now I get phone calls, like Dad they want $500 to do front brakes on my BMW, is $80 a lot for an oil change, or what's wrong when the car makes this noise? He finally took an interest because it is hitting his wallet hard.

Fortunately I was about to visit him when he needed the front brakes, he got off for about $40, and made it a point to WATCH me. He has a buddy that's a mechanic who helps him now, and he's learning. He's a very smart young man, who now realizes his old man had a reason for trying to teach him.

Good on you for helping a kid out!

Frank D

Thanks Frank. You have to be proud of your son being in the Navy!! I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island for 6 years. My wife and I loved it there!!! Greatest years of my life.

Small world. My son loves the Navy and NAS Whidbey, he just hates the constant fall, winter rain. Unfortunately he's been in Afghanistan during the nice time of the year in WA.

Frank D

Frank, I applaud you in your efforts in trying to teach your son the basics of car maintenance. That's exactly how my dad taught me all the little things that I took very little interest in until I got my own first car, then all the memories came rushing back.

Unfortunately with the way things are today, you have two or three generations of men that are unashamedly Jiffy Lube patrons that have little interest in maintaining a car other than swiping a credit card. Most guys I know are "red light" watchers, waiting for the Oil light to come on in their car before they act.

I don't know if it's a sad commentary on modern men in general or society itself.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Frank, I applaud you in your efforts in trying to teach your son the basics of car maintenance. That's exactly how my dad taught me all the little things that I took very little interest in until I got my own first car, then all the memories came rushing back.

Unfortunately with the way things are today, you have two or three generations of men that are unashamedly Jiffy Lube patrons that have little interest in maintaining a car other than swiping a credit card. Most guys I know are "red light" watchers, waiting for the Oil light to come on in their car before they act.

I don't know if it's a sad commentary on modern men in general or society itself.

Thanks for the compliment! My father had no interest, but I did. I wanted to learn as much about fixing cars, and houses as I could. My son is like my father. But I do get calls from him about the car and try and talk him through what he's trying to get done. Money is one of the best teachers in the world. The less you spend the more you'll have to buy and do things with. On his limited salary he's learning very fast now
thumbsup2.gif

Frank D

Im tring to get after neighbor when it comes to oil changes. About 6 months ago i changed the oil in his Exionox with Maxlife 5W30...three months ago his maintence light came on, just last week he still hadnt changed the oil. So...once again i did it for him again. I got into the Walmart parking lot to check the oil level it was barly up the dip stick...below the add mark. The inards was spotless. This time i added Maxlife 10W30.

I think the personal value of a car to the owner is not what is was years ago. Everything from junky forth-hand beaters to new leased BMWs, people charge it and cannot afford maintenance. People are short-sighted too. Nobody seems to understand preventative maintence...fixing it BEFORE it's broke.

A good and simple example is brake pads. Check and change pads early or right on time and the rotors can last for another run. Grind them into dust and then you needs more parts. A simple $3 caliper rebuild kit of rubber boots and save a $120 caliper and help your brakes work as smooth as butter. Few do more than getting the Midas parts slapped in, last minute and top dollar, plus their stuff works like junk before and after the job.

You noticed this too? I dont get it either and it does seem to cross demographic lines quite often. I think part of the issue lies in the fact that these individuals are so caught up in the nonsense portion of their lives and fail to understand the "back to the basics" concept that all BITOGER's have not lost. They worry about their wine tasting, golfing and other assorted socializing events and ignore the expensive machinery in their driveway.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I think the personal value of a car to the owner is not what is was years ago. Everything from junky forth-hand beaters to new leased BMWs, people charge it and cannot afford maintenance. People are short-sighted too. Nobody seems to understand preventative maintence...fixing it BEFORE it's broke.

A good and simple example is brake pads. Check and change pads early or right on time and the rotors can last for another run. Grind them into dust and then you needs more parts. A simple $3 caliper rebuild kit of rubber boots and save a $120 caliper and help your brakes work as smooth as butter. Few do more than getting the Midas parts slapped in, last minute and top dollar, plus their stuff works like junk before and after the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back