1.4T VW oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
5w-40 vw 502.00 only. Halving the OCI is a good idea, every engine we see whose owners do it sound better than those who don't. The only problem we've had with some VW engines is the dipstick tube is too narrow and it can't get all the oil out. If it's got a nice wide dipstick and tube then there's a good chance you'll be able to suck out successfully. If not then you're stuck with the drain plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz
5w-40 vw 502.00 only. Halving the OCI is a good idea, every engine we see whose owners do it sound better than those who don't. The only problem we've had with some VW engines is the dipstick tube is too narrow and it can't get all the oil out. If it's got a nice wide dipstick and tube then there's a good chance you'll be able to suck out successfully. If not then you're stuck with the drain plug.

How about 0W40?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

How about 0W40?

Apparently no.

ENGINE: TIME/DISTANCE DEPENDENT SERVICE

Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 5W-40

no other viscosity option is listed.

Apparently no.

You're not serious, right? If it meets 502.00 then it meets 502.00. Grade is for the most part irrelevant.

How about 0W40?

Apparently no.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I seriously do not know how to answer to this.
Yes, I own VW, I owned before bunch of them, I know what it says.

How about 0W40?

Apparently no.

The original version of the VW 502.00 specification did restrict it to 5w40. But since then the spec was updated to allow other viscosity options.

See this link, for example:
http://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blogs/949/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Approved-Oil-List.pdf
(note, most of the oils listed are not available in the USA)

I can see you don't know how to answer it as you seem to struggle stringing a sentence together. On my data system it lists all viscosity options. On most VW engines it ranges from 0w-30 to 10w-60 for the same engine but not on the 1.4T. On the variable regime it lists only 5w-30 504.00 and on the fixed interval regime it lists only 5w-40 502.00.

I can see you don't know how to answer it as you seem to struggle stringing a sentence together. On my data system it lists all viscosity options. On most VW engines it ranges from 0w-30 to 10w-60 for the same engine but not on the 1.4T. On the variable regime it lists only 5w-30 504.00 and on the fixed interval regime it lists only 5w-40 502.00.

Ok, fine (VW Tiguan 2.0T for U.S. market also lists VW 502.00 5W40). However, what does that mean? Why you cannot use 0W40 VW 502.00?
Last time I checked W40 has same meaning whether it is 0 or 5.
Also this is U.S. based forum, Vw504.00 here does not mean anything due to sulfur in gas and there is no such thing as variable regime. That is only for EU, Switzerland, Norway.

Considering the OP lives in Chicago (congrats Cubs!), would it matter much whether it was a 5w-40 or a 0w-40? You always want an oil that makes it easier to start the engine on those frosty mornings. Or does the difference in those oils not make a dent in anything?

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
Considering the OP lives in Chicago (congrats Cubs!), would it matter much whether it was a 5w-40 or a 0w-40? You always want an oil that makes it easier to start the engine on those frosty mornings. Or does the difference in those oils not make a dent in anything?

0W40 Castrol is anyway much better then Castro Edge 5W40.

I'm trying to decide between Castrol 0-40 and Mobil 1 0-40 for the next change. No difference in price or quality, so, it just boils down to brand choice.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
I'm trying to decide between Castrol 0-40 and Mobil 1 0-40 for the next change. No difference in price or quality, so, it just boils down to brand choice.

Both are MUCH better choice then 5W40 that dealership uses.

Have we talked about this before? What's wrong with Castrol Professional OE 5W-40?

Let's also not forget the dealer can also use whatever they want for bulk fill... My dealer's "do-it-all" oil used to be Pennzoil Platinum Euro.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Have we talked about this before? What's wrong with Castrol Professional OE 5W-40?

Let's also not forget the dealer can also use whatever they want for bulk fill... My dealer's "do-it-all" oil used to be Pennzoil Platinum Euro.

Of course we did.
Higher NOACK, typical HC formulation, does not carry MB 229.5.
So the question is: why would you use that oil when you have better one which is on top of that cheaper?
Yes they can, however, most VW dealerships use Castrol 5W40. Pennzoil Platinum Euro? It is same category as M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40, I just do not like that they water down Platinum compare to Ultra GTL version, and stop providing NOACK numbers too.

OE 5W-40 is mid saps and MB229.51.

Not that MB specs really matter in VW. OE 5W-40 also has VW 505 01 specification which is significant as these oils have to perform another level above 502 00 / 505 00 oils

Last edited:
I just do not like that they water down Platinum compare to Ultra GTL version

What makes Platinum Euro watered down?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I just do not like that they water down Platinum compare to Ultra GTL version

What makes Platinum Euro watered down?

Remember first 5W40 version of GTL had HTHS 3.88, now it has 3.6cp. NOACK of Ultra was 6.8%, now they do not publish NOACK.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
OE 5W-40 is mid saps and MB229.51.

Not that MB specs really matter in VW. OE 5W-40 also has VW 505 01 specification which is significant as these oils have to perform another level above 502 00 / 505 00 oils

Yeah, but that version is not available in the U.S.
I thought we established that long time on Euro forums.
U.S. version:
MB 229.3, VW 501.01. It is Full SAPS.
And how 505.01 performs on another level? 505.01 is Mid-SAPS version. You will find VW 502.00 spec on a lot of full SAPS oil but NOT 505.01. On all 505.01 you will find VW502.00. I am not sure 505.01 is any "better" except of having some additives unique to PD diesel engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back