1/4" socket set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Thank you. Any idea on the place of origin for the two?

Those are both USA. The Williams set is probably Elisabethton TN and the Proto set should be Dallas TX.

Wright Tool 221 100% USA made
http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-221-17-Piece-Standard/dp/B0051VCAOW

715A70jE-LL._SL1484_.jpg

Wright Tool, American family ownership (not a conglomerate), American workers, American steel. And their wrenches are at the top in quality too, with the Wright Grip - on par with Snap-On Flank Drive Plus. At a much better price. And their sockets are very good as well.

I am going to ask a brutally honest question to OP.

Are you willing to pay close to $200 for a US made set vs settling for $40 (or less) on an equivalent Taiwanese set?

Frankly, the unobtainable Triangle set (retailed at ~$100) looks far superior (the sockets, spring-loaded u-joint, smooth cornered metal case, 120+ teeth count Nano ratchet etc) than the Wright set showed in the previous reply.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Are you willing to pay close to $200 for a US made set vs settling for $40 (or less) on an equivalent Taiwanese set?

Frankly, the unobtainable Triangle set (retailed at ~$100) looks far superior (the sockets, spring-loaded u-joint, smooth cornered metal case, 120+ teeth count Nano ratchet etc) than the Wright set showed in the previous reply.

Yes, indeed. I intend to buy us made. Sometimes you can't, or there is a reason not to. Sometimes you can't even get what you want without going foreign or even third world.

If the triangle set which seems to be compellingly great was available, I might consider it. I might not buy it.

As it stands, I'll probably go SK.

That Stahlwille looks nice!

I am surprised that no Triangle 1/4 is available on the ebay. I have an extra but I am not selling it at any price! The final Sears clearance price on that was $19.99. I went nuts and picked up three and as I said I still had hard time gifting one to my own brother.

The Stahlwille is the best of the best but the ratchet is tiny like the Hazet.
I like them because i can palm them and don't use 1/4" drive for normal wrenching except small stuff.
Yes its a great buy, the ratchet alone is $100
Here is a Hazet 1/4" next to a 6" 3/8 on the right, the Stahlwille is the same size.
SAM_0574copy-1.jpg

That Stahlwille is also the full metric set. Many of the other sets recommended have unnecessary SAE sockets in it which only add bulk and weight. Also on metric side, they may not have the fractional small sockets.

Given your needs, go for the Stahlwille from the ebay. As Trav says, you don't need big long ratchet if you are wrenching with 1/4.

It depends on if you enjoy quality of not.

There are Hazard Fraught tools or Horror Freight tools and then there is this:

KIMG0033.jpg

I don't think I have any other Hazard Fraught tools in my box at work but I use this one almost every day. For several years now. I've used it to break loose fasteners that an 18v DeWalt drill on the torque setting couldn't loosen. I use it all the time for everything from 5.5 to 13mm sockets. Cosmetically, it's a little knicked up but functionally it's as good as a new ratchet.

I wish I knew what company made this tool. I would buy their sockets if they are made this well.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
And once again quality & value is only defined by the retail price of the product.

The intent of the OP had nothing to do with quality and value. You know darn well where I stand about COO for things that I can reasonably get first-world made. So please refrain from mucking up my thread when I said from the start that I desire first-world goods. I intend to support American jobs in my selection of a tool set, and if it costs a bit more, so be it. It is quite well understood that very high quality tools are made from first world sources.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

KIMG0033.jpg

Cosmetically, it's a little knicked up but functionally it's as good as a new ratchet.

Ive seen so much good about these, and I don't know if there is a domestic variant. However, they seem to be larger than needed, and so I don't see a compelling benefit to it over a more standard, short metal ratchet. Perhaps you can explain...

Its not for me in this circumstance since I truly want a single, boxed, 1/4" set. But I am interested in al the good press... Is it non-conductive? I thought the head was still metal.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: jcwit
And once again quality & value is only defined by the retail price of the product.

The intent of the OP had nothing to do with quality and value. You know darn well where I stand about COO for things that I can reasonably get first-world made. So please refrain from mucking up my thread when I said from the start that I desire first-world goods. I intend to support American jobs in my selection of a tool set, and if it costs a bit more, so be it. It is quite well understood that very high quality tools are made from first world sources.

I understand perfectly where your coming from. For me German tools are domestic but i like some American tools just as much. SK was always a high quality tool.
The Stahlwille set is a fire sale price, 125 Euro's is cheaper than in Germany for that little set.

As you know once you have used quality there is no going back. My dad learned his trade in the old country but always used American made Starrett measuring tools which are still made about 30mi west of here.
They rebuilt a digital micrometer he had for me for $70, i brought it in and dropped it off. Its like brand new with the exception of the wear on the knurled parts which i asked them to leave because i know who put them there.

I can buy every part including the plastic handle for Stahlwille or Hazet tools, the handles are $3 ea. I am sure Snap-On, SK and other top shelf stuff is the same.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If I was in the market for a 1/4 drive ratchet, this J4752F would be on my short list.

J4752F.png

Searching I couldn't seem to find it by that number. How do you reverse it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back