Road trip tool bag

My go-kit contains a basic 3/8 craftsman ratchet and socket set (metric because my cars are all metric), a flat/Phillips switchable screwdriver, a set of metric combination wrenches, a tire repair kit, Ryobi inflator, Ryobi 1/2 impact and fully charged 4 Ah battery, and the appropriate lug nut socket for whatever car i'm driving. A gun is also a good idea, especially if your trip takes you through rural areas of the southern US where wild pigs/bears/people roam free.

The age of the vehicle comes into play also.

Even though it might seem like a good idea to have an assortment of tools to be able to fix something realistically will that be the case if something breaks? Do you have an OBDII code reader to be able to figure out what is wrong? What about the part that needs to be replaced? Can you easily get that?

My take is I carry an OBDIi code reader and an extra serpentine belt and specific to my PSD an extra exhaust gas temp sensor (there are 4). The availability of the parts is most important, I can borrow or buy a tool or take to a mechanic to repair my vehicle using my extra part.

I carry an AAA card my wife got me.

For my boat I carry more tools and a SeaTow card.

I guess it depends on what we are road tripping in...

The VW has a factory emergency kit and a full size spare it is sufficient for it as it is unlikely to need anything but a tire change...

My go kit for the other stuff consist of an old craftsmen tool bag with a 1/4 and 3/8 drive set set of extensions the old open end wrench sets, a set of screwdrivers, side cutters, a set of nut drivers, vice grips, adjustable, hammer and a Gerber multi tool a roll of wire and fuses and butt connectors.

Water sounds like a good suggestion, maybe not this time of year. Not sure where the OP is going, but survival sounds good. Same vein of thought, I try to keep one or two moving blankets in my car (cheapo HF ones). Toss on the ground in case I need to do work, or toss over the backseat if I have something greasy to move—although I bet in a pinch they might work as a blanket too.

I’m kind of a fan of the cheapo tool sets that come in a blow molded case. Commonly used sizes. Maybe buy a better ratchet, usually they come with junk ones (but wild guess here, you’re not the type, you’d buy a better set of tools in the first place). Just good enough for basic roadside repairs, anything that can’t be done with those tools is a job probably best not done on the side of a road. I mean, until you start packing a welder, a couple of batteries for your electric impact wrench, and a 6 foot breaker bar… at some point, it becomes too much (unless if you‘re one of those hardcore off road guys, but then you’re never out in the woods alone, right?).

Maybe get one of the better crimp tools and some butt splices. Ring terminals. Vice grips of course. Various kinds of tape (electrical and duct), spare wire, zip ties. Spare fluids. Tire inflator?

To be honest, I have to wonder, if something goes, you have to get to a place to buy the replacement part. Buy the tools then, maybe? How many places are going to have a car parts store yet not a Home Depot / Lowes / HF / whatever.
I don’t have any specific plans. I will road trip to IL for the HPL event most likely. But I would like to road trip more with the family, to scenic and outdoor places.

And to that end, frankly, survival isn’t all that much of a consideration. It’s more the fluke thing that fails along the way that would be repairable with a little effort, but I’m not prepared.

I agree if something goes you need to get to a place where they have a part or offer help. But I don’t want to have to go shop for tools too. Obviously if something got too bad I wouldn’t be fixing it on my back in the mud.

All you really need is a $100 Duralast "tool set." And a flashlight.
I probably have more and better tools than are in that type of a set. The thing is how do you make a good small set of what you need… and not what you don’t.

Agree on lighting.

I was thinking something similar a couple of months ago, here. I bought the Sonic. Nice thing is it doesn’t rattle at all sitting in the trunk. Can’t say as much for the rest of the car. Also, you should pack some wire. You can improvise a lot on the side of the road, but you can’t improvise insulated copper.
Is that Hazet set made in Germany, or the third world? It looks like a good set. I have a 3/8 and 1/4 SK set that may fit a similar bill. But I probably generally only need metric, which shrinks it by half.

Seems like a lot of tools to bring, but I get it.

What about a bright rechargeable flash light, and an OBD2 scanner?

Maybe they are technically not tools, just a thought :)
Flashlight for sure. If I leave with a CEL, weve got a problem. If so get a CEL on the way and it doesn’t stop me in my tracks, I can get codes scanned at a parts store. From there TBD if they’ll have a part anyway…. Key is to have the tools to do the work.

As I think about this some more, I think the ideal is probably something like:

- good flashlight
- ratcheting screwdriver with exchangable bits
- 1/4” long ratchet
-1/4” drive sockets 8-15
- wrench set
- knipex combo pliers
- needle nose pliers
- breaker bar with socket for lugs
- multimeter
- electric tape

Yes I said 1/4” drive. The logic is that it’s smaller and lighter. Anything bigger than 15mm is going to need a wrench or be too big to deal with in a parking lot on the fly (or find a Home Depot or equivalent type place.

The key is small and useful. Not sure if >15mm is really helpful on the side of the road, and a US made quality ratchet and sockets shouldn’t crack.

I don’t need an impact gun. A good breaker bar that gets more torque than the OE wrench is useful. I can suffer through a handful of lugs.

Smaller and high utility is best.

This thing is kind of neat but $$$$$ for what it is:

3AFCE8E7-8A1E-4091-99F8-C14FE2716B34.jpeg

As I think about this some more, I think the ideal is probably something like:

- good flashlight
- ratcheting screwdriver with exchangable bits
- 1/4” long ratchet
-1/4” drive sockets 8-15
- wrench set
- knipex combo pliers
- needle nose pliers
- breaker bar with socket for lugs
- multimeter
- electric tape

Yes I said 1/4” drive. The logic is that it’s smaller and lighter. Anything bigger than 15mm is going to need a wrench or be too big to deal with in a parking lot on the fly (or find a Home Depot or equivalent type place.

The key is small and useful. Not sure if >15mm is really helpful on the side of the road, and a US made quality ratchet and sockets shouldn’t crack.

I don’t need an impact gun. A good breaker bar that gets more torque than the OE wrench is useful. I can suffer through a handful of lugs.

Smaller and high utility is best.

This thing is kind of neat but $$$$$ for what it is:

View attachment 141319
I wonder if a serpentine belt tool kit might match better than a breaker bar?

DeWalt made a breaker bar kit with a nice set of sockets in a compact case, but I can't find a picture.
81KhQ5ee0iL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The age of the vehicle comes into play also.

Even though it might seem like a good idea to have an assortment of tools to be able to fix something realistically will that be the case if something breaks? Do you have an OBDII code reader to be able to figure out what is wrong? What about the part that needs to be replaced? Can you easily get that?

My take is I carry an OBDIi code reader and an extra serpentine belt and specific to my PSD an extra exhaust gas temp sensor (there are 4). The availability of the parts is most important, I can borrow or buy a tool or take to a mechanic to repair my vehicle using my extra part.

I carry an AAA card my wife got me.

For my boat I carry more tools and a SeaTow card.
I don’t think the age matters much. If I leave home with a CEL, I’m an idiot. If it happens along the way and the car is stopped in its tracks, I have an issue to rectify and it will take more than a few tools. If the vehicle is operable, I can take it to a parts store or shop.

I’m more concerned with a fluke belt, battery, pulley, or some other sort of more minor failure, plus the prospect of tire issues which is probably more like it…

I generally take along a medium sized toolbox, a 130ish piece socket set, an milk crate with jumper cables, duct tape, starting fluid, flares, radiator stop leak (for emergency use only). Also, water, oil, transmission fluid, etc. A blue tooth code reader in the glove compartment.

If the car has a high failure rate item, I'll usually keep a spare on board such as a TFI ignition module in my 90's Ford truck.

I generally take along a medium sized toolbox, a 130ish piece socket set, an milk crate with jumper cables, duct tape, starting fluid, flares, radiator stop leak (for emergency use only). Also, water, oil, transmission fluid, etc. A blue tooth code reader in the glove compartment.

If the car has a high failure rate item, I'll usually keep a spare on board such as a TFI ignition module in my 90's Ford truck.
RC,

Your comment to bring water is a great recommendation. Water can be used for the radiator, human consumption, etc. Two gallons of wal-mart distilled water can go a long way.

Two issues though (1)two gallons of water is heavy, (2) wal-mart uses very inexpensive packaging for their gallon distilled water (sold in the grocery section). For about .20 more per gallon, one can go to the baby section of wal-mart and get distilled water with a gerber label, which comes in a more stout container, and less likely to fail while driving long distances.

For each car I bring enough quality tools to change a flat tire without drama, plus a Continental tire inflator along with the sealer kit. For our E90 I bring a spare serpentine belt and all the tools needed to replace it. The E90 came with run flats and no spare tire, but I took off the run flats and put together a spare tire kit. All cars have a quality Streamlight LED flashlight.

And for actual road trips I always carry a very potent pepper spray in the center console.

Scott

IMG_1780.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that Hazet set made in Germany, or the third world? It looks like a good set. I have a 3/8 and 1/4 SK set that may fit a similar bill. But I probably generally only need metric, which shrinks it by half.
I think it doesn’t have any relationship with Hazet. I found this web site - VIGOR equipment.
Also there’s a foreign seller on Ebay where that $263 set goes for $157.61.
I don’t know if it’s gimmicky or not, but this is an ultra-flat 1/4” set.

Last edited:
I'm not throwing stones, Roof, but I'm surprised.

Scott
Generally speaking, Hospitals are not the best places to be in the middle of the night, especially in lower income areas.

Guess where my helicopters usually break?

There have also been quite a few thefts from small airports recently. People flying in and stealing GPS units and radios.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GON
I take my Metrinch socket set, my Leatherman tool, some duct tape, a cheap OBDII scanner, and my clamp meter that has basic multimeter functions. I also have AAA but have not been very impressed the last two times I've had to use them.

We have been road tripping since Covid started in 2019. My 2021 trip was a National Park/heart of America with the family. At the end of the trip it was right at 5200 miles. I took my usual, tire plug kit and inflator, Harbor Freight $30 tool/socket set, several flashlights, and a bunch of hiking/camping/outdoor stuff. We made the trip in 14 days with impromptu stops in Nebraska at Carhenge on the way up and in Colorado at the Garden of the Gods on the return trip. We went to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and my favorite Glacier National Park.

What I had to do with the kit I had. I had to change out headlight bulbs. Everything else was no problem. Without the HF tools I would not have been able to change them myself. The little service station in Yellowstone was gonna charge $65 for the one side that was out. So I saved money/time and we enjoyed ourselves. Great road trip and highly recommended by me. God bless America!

I honestly had never thought about grabbing a couple of bulbs for the trip. Live and learn.

Last edited:
803898CC-2063-4C26-A5E3-6127076F9D30.jpeg

First addition, SO semi deep 1/4” 5-15mm.

Will add a set of wrenches and some of the other items from my list.

Back