0w40 mobil 1 or GC in 2013 nissan frontier vq40de

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back for an update.

I was running Mobil 1 0w40 for 3 years in my vq40de with great results. The engine never burned oil. But I did get the rattle during morning starts, especially in the winter.

I always used 0w30 GC in the old Toyota and loved that oil. So I decided to give 0w40 Castrol a shot in my Nissan. First thing I've noticed was the engine ran much smoother and the rattle start ups went away.

But with 0w40 Castrol I burn half a quart every 2k miles. Not sure why that is. I've never had this issue with the mobil 1. I changed the oil with Castrol 3 times now and still had the same result with burning oil.

I have no oil leaks anywhere and run an oil catch can with 70k miles on the clock.

I did purchase a four wheel camper that weighs around 700 lbs that I carry on the truck most of the year. Also I run large 33" tires. Would the extra weight of the camper cause this oil burning? I started using Castrol when I bought the camper.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking so I went to Walmart and bought 0w40 mobil 1 for the next oil change and see if the burning continues.

In my 2012 Frontier (same engine as yours) I run a 0W30 in the winter and a 5W or 10W30 in the summer and at 74,450 miles I have never had any consumption with either grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
In my 2012 Frontier (same engine as yours) I run a 0W30 in the winter and a 5W or 10W30 in the summer and at 74,450 miles I have never had any consumption with either grade.

He's talking 1/2 quart in 2k miles. Sounds normal to me.

I know burning some is normal. It's just weird that I didn't have this issue with the Mobil 1.

[Linked Image]

Here's the truck with all the extra weight I carry... not sure why it's sideways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back