0w20 vs 0w30 in my Dodge Challenger V-6?

I'm new to BITOG and I love it!
Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences in this forum.
Is there any wisdom in using 0w30 in my 2020 Dodge Challenger V-6 during our Arizona summer?
I've recently read that the thinness of the 0w30 might be "better" during STARTUP as it flows throughout the engine and that it might circulate more efficiently before reaching "Normal" operating temperatures, where then it will offer better protection from Summer heat.

Of course, my oil cap says 5w-20.

Thoughts?
Am I losing my mind?

What about 0w-20 versus 5w-20? I thought your mind was set?

Pages 251 and 252 of your owner's manual: https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/servicemanuals/dodge/2020-challenger.pdf

1652979236263.jpg

You can use 5W-30 if 5W-20 is not available or you don't want to.

Per their verbiage, the oil you use has to either meet and exceed MS-6396 or have the API Starburst on the bottle, but not both. This allows owners to use engine oils that are not API licensed as long as they meet MS-6395.

And I actually talked about this with my dealershio, and they okayed me using Red Line 0W-20 in my Durango. I live in NC, and it's hot outside right now. Not Arizona hot, but it's hot. I would use 5W-30 in a hearbeat if my owner manual would allow it. I can see my Oil Pressure drop to 27 PSI while idling, with Red Line, when it's hot and I'm sitting in traffic.

The selection for 0W-30 is slim, so I would just use 5W-30 in your climate. PUP/PP 5W-30, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 (or vanilla), Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30 is a good option (it's based on a MB 229.71 approved oil), well pretty much any 5W-30 you want you can run in your climate in your engine.

Also, you wouldn't benefit from 0W-30 in your hot climate, not even for startup.

I'm just surveying the wisdom of this forum. I'm amazed at the options and "science" of motor oil. So many things to consider.

This might be as good as it gets concerning this particular opinion.

Please consider that motor oils that have the API Starburst on the bottle exist in a narrow viscosity range relative to each other, something like this:

0W-20 - 44 cSt @ 40C to 8.2 cSt @ 100C
5W-20 - 48 cSt @ 40C to 8.5 cSt @ 100C
5W-30 - 55 cSt @ 40C to 9.9 cSt @ 100C

By switching between them, you won't notice anything. You might see a more significant difference between your gasoline purchases than between the different motor oils you're using.

As such, you won't get too many responses.

When it gets down to it as long as the oil isn't too thin and the W rating is appropriate to the climate it doesn't matter what you use, if you want to use 15W50 in south texas go ahead, if you want to use 0w40 in Northern Canada, go ahead, if you want to use 5W20 anywhere go ahead, the choice of viscosity doesn't matter, and in Arizona just use 5W30 or 10W30 if you're going 30 grade there's no real reason to use 0W30 becuase it doesn't get cold enough to make a diffrence.

He has entered the oil viscosity rabbit hole. 😄

Back