0W30 vs 0W40

Interesting that the '21 Sonata 2.5 turbo only recommends 0W30 in the owner's manual - probably done so to ensure owners definitely use a synthetic oil . I suppose a good synthetic 5W30 (including Euro versions) and if moving up to a 40-weight oil , besides 0W40 you have the Euro 5W40 options as well . Since Hyundai does not specify a Euro oil per se , probably best to select the oil that meets the toughest gasoline engine specs for BMW , MB and VW (oils designed to meet the newer VW 504 / VW 507 specs are particularly robust against wear and deposits) .

Nice ride. Why not try something like SHU 0w30?

ACEA C2, MB229.52 / VW507 approved

KV 58 @ 40C & 11.8 @ 100C

Are you considering Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40?
I was considering Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40. That's what I used in my 2015 and this is what the top end looked like at 80K.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-175716_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-175716_Gallery.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 133
Interesting that the '21 Sonata 2.5 turbo only recommends 0W30 in the owner's manual - probably done so to ensure owners definitely use a synthetic oil . I suppose a good synthetic 5W30 (including Euro versions) and if moving up to a 40-weight oil , besides 0W40 you have the Euro 5W40 options as well . Since Hyundai does not specify a Euro oil per se , probably best to select the oil that meets the toughest gasoline engine specs for BMW , MB and VW (oils designed to meet the newer VW 504 / VW 507 specs are particularly robust against wear and deposits) .
Honestly I'm lost on oil spec comparisons. It calls for SN+ or higher.

I'm just north of Dallas and get two 5-quart jugs (holds 6.5) of 0W30 at any local Walmart. The price remained stable for a long time at $24.97. Right now it's going for $29.97. I have not seen the 0W40 on any of their shelves honestly.
Are you positive it’s the ESP and not the regular, non-Euro M1 0W-30?

You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of who was able to get M1 ESP at Walmart…and ive also never seen it sold that cheap.

Every so often Advance runs a sale where you can get it for $29/jug. But regular price is usually easily over $30.

On the other hand, the regular M1 0W-30 (I think it says Advanced Fuel Economy on the jug) IS normally around $25 at Walmart.

You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of who was able to get M1 ESP at Walmart…and ive also never seen it sold that cheap.

Every so often Advance runs a sale where you can get it for $29/jug. But regular price is usually easily over $30.

On the other hand, the regular M1 0W-30 (I think it says Advanced Fuel Economy on the jug) IS normally around $25 at Walmart.
No he's confused. ESP is sold in quarts at some Walmarts but not the 5-quart containers. AutoZone also has the 5W-30 but for around $34. However you can usually get the filter deal.

Nope my bad. You are correct.. It is the Advanced Fuel Economy.

Thank you very much for that.
They include free oil changes for 3/36. Since their schedule is 8K, thats four oil changes. I've handled this car the way I handle every new vehicle. I paid for an oil change at 1000 miles then again at around 4,000 mi. They covered the 8, 16, and 24. I covered the 12, 20, and 28ish. I'm at 30K now and get the last freebie at 32K. All of which I bring them Mobil 1 0W30 ESP. Overkill I know but the car is had eight oil changes. Once I use up their last freebie, I'll resume my normal schedule of 5K..
At the rate I'm clocking the miles, I'll probably be back in Tucson just after my 32k oil change. I'll beat on that for 5K and send it out for analysis.
Uoa looks great! I say keep on keeping on👍

I was considering Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40. That's what I used in my 2015 and this is what the top end looked like at 80K.
I would use that if Penzoil is your BOC. If you want to use Mobil 1, I would go with the ESP 0W-40 since it is a 2021 GDI engine with GPF. Just my opinion.

I bought a 2021 Sonata as my new daily last year. 2.5T Smart Stream engine. It suits my needs in a daily driver. Owner's manuals says nothing but 0W30. Been using Mobil 1. Did an analysis at 27K. Oil and engine immaculate. I used Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 in my previous daily. That engine was also immaculate at 100K when it was totaled.
I'm in Texas and moving back to Arizona in the spring. Both have summer weather temperatures at 100+ of course. 0W30 is rated at -35 to 86F. 0W40 up to 104⁰. I'm thinking of going back to 0W40. Good idea? I'm not overly concerned with Hyundai saying is specifies 0W30 only, considering they're allowing dealers to use 0W20 during the free maintenance. You'd think they'd be stricter with that considering the Theta II issues ..
What were your oil change intervals with the Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 ? Also , did you use the OEM oil filter or another brand ? ... Your engine looked pristine !

Personally in the heat of summer in AZ, I'd rather use a 0w-40. Perhaps if your oil changes align right, switch back to 0w-30 for winter.

I've seen too many owners manuals in the US call for thin oils, when the same manual in another country offers higher grades for higher temperatures. But then again, I've seen countless engines run to 200K+ on thin oils like 0w-20, etc. Most people will never wear an engine out (other than lack of maintenance or manufacturer defect); some other failure in the car is what usually sends it to the graveyard.

So I can't really make a judgement one way or the other and you're probably fine either way. I just have my personal preferences.
Is it possible those heavier grades are used bc 0-20 is unavailable readily in those countries?

Back