Oil recommendations for Hyundai 1.6 Turbo

We just purchased a new Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 liter turbo. The owner’s manual recommends 0W20 synthetic. Maybe I’m old school, but I wonder if I should use a heavier weight oil for Arizona desert temperatures. Especially with a turbocharged engine. I’m considering 0W30, 5W30, or maybe even 0W40. I appreciate all responses!

We just purchased a new Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 liter turbo. The owner’s manual recommends 0W20 synthetic. Maybe I’m old school, but I wonder if I should use a heavier weight oil for Arizona desert temperatures. Especially with a turbocharged engine. I’m considering 0W30, 5W30, or maybe even 0W40. I appreciate all responses!
I had a 2018 Tucson with the 1.6 turbo and the manual said to use 5W-30. Hyundai gives you a few options on what weight oil to use. I always used synthetic 5W-30 SP oil and I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Here’s what I found in the online owners manual. It’s all over the place. If you’re in a hot climate you can use up to 20w50 in the 1.6L T-GDI

76816B2F-8290-46F4-8996-1FCC26F38E0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5w30

For the 1.6 L turbo GDI engine I would choose these oils in the order I listed : 5W30 Valvoline Advanced , 5W30 Quaker State Full Synthetic , 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum , 5W30 Mobil 1 . The reason is they are all synthetic , they have low Noack and lastly less viscosity improvers which can lead to GDI intake valve deposits . Keep your OCI's to 4,000 miles with a GDI turbo engine as well .

If it was my car I'd definitely be using at least 5w30 in arizona.
PP 5w30 would be my first choice. It has the jeep ms-13340 cert. at well.

0w40 is a good idea. In Arizona even 10w40, 15w40, or 5w50 would be fine. If it was my car I would not be putting 20 anything in it.

Keep OCI to 5k or less.

Since when did H/K recomend 20 weight oils for any of their turbo application?
The recommendation on the 1.6t is ACEA A5 or higher, by that I'm guessing is the upcoming ACEA A7?

I probably should have clarified that it’s a 2022 Hyundai. The owners manual specifies 0W20. The oil cap also has 0W20 on it. I certainly agree with all the recommendations to go heavier in Arizona.

I probably should have clarified that it’s a 2022 Hyundai. The owners manual specifies 0W20. The oil cap also has 0W20 on it. I certainly agree with all the recommendations to go heavier in Arizona.

Huh, you’re right. This is from the 2022 Canadian owners manual, (all I could find) the one I posted earlier was from Hyundai USA for 2021

CD0B5F01-386E-4400-8D49-C2DB382FE7F5.jpeg

It shows 0w20 for both engines and doesn’t give any range 😮. I know they changed the name of the engine family from Gamma to SmartStream, but I wasn’t aware of any major changes to it. 🤷‍♂️

I think I’d still use 5w30, especially in AZ.

Last edited:
My Gen Coupe with 2L turbo came with a 5w20 cap and oil in the sump. It quickly came out and Hyundai came out with a TSB to say use 5w30 or higher in extreme temps. 50 or 60 weight in the Mid East. Been running 0w40 or 5w30 for 11 years now.

I would switch to 0W40 based on temperature. I live in the desert myself. At a very high elevation.. Let us know what you decide and how it works short/long term. Best of luck & Congratulations on your purchase!

Last edited:
Back