0w20 oil to reduce engine noise in a Subaru OB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. FYI all oil changes to date have been with the dealer using Subaru blue filter and Subaru oil. Just not overly impressed with the boxer engine sound. Really like the vehicle. The eyesight safety suite is very impressive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Valvoline oils are usually loaded with boron (iirc) so maybe give 0w20 SynPower a try. My old Impreza was noticeably quieter using Valvoline products.

I don't believe you are thinking of Valvoline. Boron really isn't a part of their add pack. In SynPower and Maxlife, PQIA found just 1 ppm boron.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Valvoline oils are usually loaded with boron (iirc) so maybe give 0w20 SynPower a try. My old Impreza was noticeably quieter using Valvoline products.

I don't believe you are thinking of Valvoline. Boron really isn't a part of their add pack. In SynPower and Maxlife, PQIA found just 1 ppm boron.

Maybe he was thinking of Havoline which used to have a big slug of boron but even that is not the case today.

I think we need to wait for new VOA since the recent intro of dexos1Gen2. In the few already seen, there's been significant reductions in Calcium and Sodium but increases of Magnesium, Moly and Boron. As far as i know, every major player with 0W-20 on the shelves now meets this newer GM spec.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
... The '17 sounds almost exactly like the '09, which is a little scary since these have entirely different engines that just happen to share the same nominal displacement.
... and the same H4, layout. So did my '72 Subaru.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Try Castrol Magnatec

Do you have a specific reason?

Probably at least three competitive price, great NOACK, lots of good UOA's.

I have used M1 0-20 for at least 400K in my last three Ford Duratech 4 cyl engines, and have not noticed any unusual noise.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have used M1 0-20 for at least 400K in my last three Ford Duratech 4 cyl engines, and have not noticed any unusual noise.

Those Duratechs are boxer engines?

I'm using a 20wt in my Journey and when it's warmed up all you can hear is the injector pulses which remind me I need more lubricant in the fuel to keep the quiet.
lol.gif

Castrol Edge Extended Performance (gold bottle) really quieted our 06 Toyota Sienna down. It was pretty "ticky" on start up and at low RPM's, the Castrol made a huge improvement. Before that I tried Valvoline Maxlife both syn blend and full synthetic and Castrol Magnatec. The Magnatec helped a bit but nothing like the EP. The Valvoline actually made it noisier, I dumped both before 2K miles.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Those Duratechs are boxer engines?

Nope they're I4

Using Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W 20 0n wife's Escape Turbo 5K OC will increase to 7.5 K so far so good using Scan Gauge. No more SCHAEFFER sadly .

LEADED,
I wouldn’t recommend using any 5w20 oil in a turbocharged Ford Escape. Check the manual. You would be OK using 5w20 in the 2.5 NA.

You don't notice it as you are used to it. Always on the same oil and have nothing to compare to. Fill the crankcase with a different oil, like Castrol Magnatec 0w20 for example, and you will be surprised with the results.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
You don't notice it as you are used to it. Always on the same oil and have nothing to compare to. Fill the crankcase with a different oil, like Castrol Magnatec 0w20 for example, and you will be surprised with the results.
Or it could be the high 100 cst here
Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 47.3 8.7
Mazda GF-5 with Moly 0W-20 35.0 8.3
Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 44.8 8.7
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 42.8 8.4

but that's just numbers, right, riigghhtt..not endorsing M1 here at all, infact, I think you can find high cst

But new oil is always quieter than the old oil, regardless of brand. How does one compare the noise level between the new oil and what the old oil sounded like when it was also new?

Comparing it only upon the end of the OCI is not valid, Vlad.

Bunk.
31.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
I am looking for a 0W20 synthetic oil for my 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5.that will help reduce engine noise while the engine is cold or warm.
I ended up having my Dealer servicing my OB using Castrol edge 0w-20 and blue Subaru filter last week. Temperatures have been warm lately. However, it seems as if the initial starts and running noises are much lower. Could be wishful thinking.
smile.gif

It's engine dependent. Some are quiet. Some sound like a can of BB's being shaken on cold start ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back