0w-30 German Castrol EDGE SYTNEC SL - 12k OCI - 26 months - 2005 Vibe 1ZZ-FE

I'm not used to seeing so much TITANIUM 34, but I think that is a Castrol thing. I have never gone this long of OCI before (26 months and 12k miles) but it looks like the oil held up fine. However, you can see that cSt Viscosity has bumped up a bit into the 40w area. This first 10 months this vehicle was only driven ~2k miles in Minnesota. The remaining time (10k miles) the vehicle was moved south with a more normal driving commute and climate.

Old stock of 0w-30 Castrol EDGE with SYTNEC Power Technology (Made in Germany) API SL

MI on Oil 12,050
MI on Unit 188,600
Sample Date 09/27/2020
Make Up Oil Added: 1/2 quarts

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 31
COPPER 2
LEAD TIN
NICKEL MANGANESE 1 2
SILVER TITANIUM 34

POTASSIUM 2
SODIUM 4
SILICON 15

BORON 6
CALCIUM 1548
MAGNESIUM 558
PHOSPHORUS 724
ZINC 925
MOLYBDENUM 8
BARIUM
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 13.9 (virgin is 12.2)

Antifreeze no
Water % Base # 3.3

Attachments

• For sharing Oil Vibe 2005 Normal.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 51
I am not used to seeing the over 10% increases in viscosity as in my recent oil change post above or: cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 13.9 (virgin is 12.2)

Can anyone help me understand what conditions might have contributed to that happening?

High oxidation commonly causes viscosity increase. In my view, it means the OCI is too long. Shorten up the OCI interval should fix the issue. I wouldn’t go over 12 months and change it in April.

If this really was “made in Germany,” how old was the oil BEFORE it was put in the car? I’ve been using “this” oil for 5? years, and never used any actually made in Germany IIRCC. Belgium, yes, Germany no. That said, maybe the previous “non-Ti” formula i once saw (but didn’t buy) was actually German. I remember Advance Auto had both vintages on shelf at one time: with & without Ti. I bought Ti. Anyway, a lot could have happened before it was poured in, too.

The oil was API SL so probably bottled around 2014 or 2015 ? It was from my stock that was purchased on clearence as you mentioned, and was with the TI and European Formula, per the marketing on the front label.

Under the API label information on the back of the bottle it has printed "made in Germany"

The oil was API SL so probably bottled around 2014 or 2015 ? It was from my stock that was purchased on clearence as you mentioned, and was with the TI and European Formula, per the marketing on the front label.

Under the API label information on the back of the bottle it has printed "made in Germany"

I saw a newly designed bottle of Castrol 0w30 ACEA A3 made in Belgium this weekend.

It’s still SL in 2020...or at least 2019 vintage. And was SL long before 2014, from what I recall...though you may have pegged the earliest date, for the Ti version.

Back