Amsoil XL 5w30, 10K OCI, 2006 Expeditition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by meborder

Originally Posted by MolaKule
The 5/15/18 viscosity number cannot be accurate since the XL 5W30 cannot have that viscosity at that temperature.

Someone used a 40 grade before that analysis or that analysis is not to be believed.

The comments from the lab were to suspect coolant intrusion into the oil. When I called them they said that the high viscosity and high tbn were common signs of coolant in the oil.

They said they ran the TBN twice to verify.

I think it is more likely that the samples got switched. If you look at the numbers side by side, it doesn't look like XL 5w30. It looks more like syntec 5w40 to me. But I don't think that is my sample.

If the analyses say no coolant and very little moisture how can that be? Coolant intrusion turns it thin and milky/cloudy.

The explanation i got was that very small coolant leaks where the oil gets hot enough to drive off the moisture, depending on the type/brand of coolant, leaves the oil very alkaline resulting in a high TBN and raises the viscosity.

I'm not saying I agree, I'm only saying that is the explanation I got when I called and talked to the tech.

More likely, is that my sample got switched with someone else.

I can show you another sample of Amsoil XL (old formula) with only about 800 miles on the sample that has more wear metals than the one above supposedly has at 10,000 miles. I've only got 2 samples with wear numbers that low and I think both of them were samples that were accidentally switched.

I'm going to delete that sample from my records because, as you said, it is not to be believed. I left it in just because it showed a potential problem that was resolved by the next sample. Other than that I think it is meaningless.

Given the overall trend, and what we have before us, what does Molakule think? Any overall thoughts in general?

Originally Posted by meborder
FoMoCo recommends 5,000 normal and 3,000 severe for my vehicle.

Based on my UOA's the lab feels that a 10,000 mile OCI is a good service plan for this vehicle and the use it sees.

Why pay for the analysis if you are just going to discount what they say?

Am I wrong?

No you're not wrong. I realize some people do UOAs as a hobby of sorts and that's just fine, but the fact is, there's useful information to be gleaned that can help optimize the length of the interval. For those of us who are without warranty on our vehicles, we have the freedom to experiment with intervals and learn what an oil/filter combo is capable of in each of our particular driving conditions.

Thanks for the update on your Expedition. Your UOAs are much more interesting than most we see here and have shown that a little extra wear metal isn't necessarily a kiss of death to the engine.

That second sample of 17.9 visc is a mistake on the lab's part; I'd try a different lab based on their "coolant intrusion" explanation alone.

Thought I would put an official close to this thread.

I sent the truck on down the road with 218k on the clock. Engine and transmission worked as good as they day I bought it, but it needed a new wheel bearing in the front and at least one bushing in the rear suspension.

That, combined with the new caliper I had to install after it started hanging up on our family trip to the badlands, the cost of repairs exceeded my desire to keep the vehicle. Not fixing the wheel bearing and the rear bushing will make the first 2 payments on my new (To me) vehicle

Replaced it with a 2014 expedition with another 5.4 triton.

Some UOA's to come on the new vehicle. Will be interesting to see what the new 5.4 throws compared to the old one.

Thanks to all that commented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back