0W-20's for the Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stash in the garage of Mitsubishi, TGMO, and Mazda ow-20's. While I do know the differences in Moly, VI etc, here are the prices that I can get them all at. After my stash, I want to only buy one brand for the Honda Odyssey. What do you think is the best out of these 3 for the money/quality?

Mitsubishi (Idemtisu GF-4) = $5.95
TGMO (mobil) = $6.50
Mazda (Idemitsu GF-5)= $6.95

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Based on the prices, try them all and see what you like best. Not sure you will notice much in terms of differences between them.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Whichever is easier to get

Id prob get the Mazda with Moly, all being equal

Yeah they are all about the same in terms of availability.

They're all variations on the same theme with the Mazda oil being the most recent formulation.
If you don't mind the higher price that's the oil I'd use until the next impressive oil hits the market.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
They're all variations on the same theme with the Mazda oil being the most recent formulation.
If you don't mind the higher price that's the oil I'd use until the next impressive oil hits the market.

yeah, so far I like the Mazda in the van. My wife thinks the Amsoil ASM was a little quieter, but I can hardly tell. I'm only going to do 5k OCI's so I guess it won't matter. I still wonder about the tri-moly (yay or nay) if they actually use it in the TGMO. Regardless, I know it's a fine oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

My 13 Honda Accord V6 engine has a history in previous years of the engine sometimes having sludge issues in the front cylinder bank due to VCM shutting down the back cylinders during light engine loading resulting in higher front cylinder temperatures. My engine also has VCM. Do we know the Noack of the Mazda 0W-20 with Moly oil? Should I be using an oil with a known low Noack like Amsoil Signature 0W-20 (9.3 Noack) 5W-20 (5.5 Noack) or PU 5W-20 (5.0 Noack)?
I do like the lower cold viscosity of the Mazda oil over the low Noack oils but I live 15 miles NW of Chicago and it rarely goes below 0F here. I'm concerned that between the two evils of cold temperature startup wear and potential oil sludging oil sludging may be the bigger problem with my engine.
I plan to use a high quality full synthetic and change oil and filter every 6 months which will be about 5,000 miles for me. Most of my driving is 10 miles to work and back on suburban streets with stop lights and speed limits at or around 40 mph.
Should I be more worried about cold temp startup wear and go with the Mazda oil or should I be more concerned about my Honda V6 engines sludging history and go with oils with a lower Noack?

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I still wonder about the tri-moly (yay or nay) if they actually use it in the TGMO.

Any modern oil that has moly at approx 100ppm is most likely using the trimer moly. I don't see any good reason otherwise. You'll see several oils are showing similar levels of moly (100ish or 500+, dimer/trimer).

We did get confirmation from a member who was in the industry that the Toyota 0w20 uses the Infineum Trimer moly.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...431#Post2552431

Last edited:
Yes, I've read that "confirmation" and while I do see your point, it would be nice to read it on a PDS and not an internet source. I want to beleive him, but you never know. Amsoil ASM only has like around 160PPM of Moly and we don't know what kind that one is.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Amsoil ASM only has like around 160PPM of Moly and we don't know what kind that one is.

The only reason I know of (so far) to use
So there are two camps I see, those using the new moly and those using the old. If someone could provide more details on how moly is used that would be very much appreciated.

I might dive into this topic sometime but no promises.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back