0W-20 used instead of 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by shaggyis18
Hello Community,

First post here looking for some thoughts. I have a potential issue that is quite similar but pretty much the opposite of the issue discussed thoroughly in https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...3711/all/0W-20_vs._5W-30_-_General_Moto.

My issue is that my vehicle's manual (2018 Chevy Traverse) calls for 5W-30 (or 0W-30 in cold climate defined as -20F or below which is extremely rare where I live in Colorado), and the dealer, who has handled the first two oil changes free of charge as part of the benefits of the new vehicle purchase, appears to have used 0W-20 in both changes. I never even thought of the need to double check whether the dealer was doing things right, and only discovered this yesterday when reviewing the receipts as part of my efforts to get up to speed on handling my own oil changes now that the freebies are used up. My concern is whether this use of the 0W-20 oil had the potential to cause extra wear and tear that wouldn't have occurred had the prescribed 5W-30 or 0W-30 been used instead. Any thoughts on this? Would raising concerns with the dealer be advised?

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Two things:
1. welcome aboard! It looks like you are going fit right in here!
wink.gif

2. take a breath, relax, your vehicle is fine. It is in the exact same shape as it would have been had they used 5W-30...possibly even better.

Is 0W-20 different from 5W-30? Sure.
Is the difference significant enough that your particular application could suffer negative consequences from using it instead of 5W-30? No, not even close...not based upon the information you have provided about your vehicle, location, etc.

It's good that you were detail oriented enough to notice the error on the print-out. That will serve you well in life, as it likely already has. But in this specific instance, your vehicle has no standing for punitive actions - it's fine. So any trouble you go to in the hopes of being made whole will likely be more trouble than they are worth...literally.

Now, on to the really important topic -beer. The last time I was in Colorado, I toured the Coors brewery, and that's where I was introduced for the first time to Blue Moon. It's been my favorite brew ever since (2006?). What's the Blue Moon coverage like there in Colorado, I'm assuming it's the standard draft beer at every place that serves alcohol?

Thanks for the advice Nuke. On to beer status in Colorado. If you haven't been here since 2006, things have changed a bit. Blue Moon certainly is a household name in just about any serving or selling establishment in any town in the state, but it has a heck of a lot of competition that has come online over time that is just as ubiquitous. The brewery landscape has really expanded in the last decade in Colorado, so you should make another visit!

Last edited:
Hello Community,

First post here looking for some thoughts. I have a potential issue that is quite similar but pretty much the opposite of the issue discussed thoroughly in https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...3711/all/0W-20_vs._5W-30_-_General_Moto.

My issue is that my vehicle's manual (2018 Chevy Traverse) calls for 5W-30 (or 0W-30 in cold climate defined as -20F or below which is extremely rare where I live in Colorado), and the dealer, who has handled the first two oil changes free of charge as part of the benefits of the new vehicle purchase, appears to have used 0W-20 in both changes. I never even thought of the need to double check whether the dealer was doing things right, and only discovered this yesterday when reviewing the receipts as part of my efforts to get up to speed on handling my own oil changes now that the freebies are used up. My concern is whether this use of the 0W-20 oil had the potential to cause extra wear and tear that wouldn't have occurred had the prescribed 5W-30 or 0W-30 been used instead. Any thoughts on this? Would raising concerns with the dealer be advised?

Dealers and Auto manufacturers have one thing in mind, their best interests. I find it hilarious that people think they have people's best interest at heart, lol. Your best interests and their best interests do not align. They want ever car to last the warranty period and then die in the spot, that is how they make money, selling cars and making repairs that they don't have to pay for. I assume your best interests are to make a vehicle last as long as it possibly can. So handle your own stuff if you can.

Originally Posted by burla
Hello Community,

Dealers and Auto manufacturers have one thing in mind, their best interests. I find it hilarious that people think they have people's best interest at heart, lol. Your best interests and their best interests do not align. They want ever car to last the warranty period and then die in the spot, that is how they make money, selling cars and making repairs that they don't have to pay for. I assume your best interests are to make a vehicle last as long as it possibly can. So handle your own stuff if you can.

Sooo... What about the Germans who have introduced unlimited mileage warranties on their CPO vehicles?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Hello Community,

Sooo... What about the Germans who have introduced unlimited mileage warranties on their CPO vehicles?

Reading the fine print, looks like unlimited miles is....One Year unlimited mileage....

Originally Posted by JLTD
Hello Community,

Reading the fine print, looks like unlimited miles is....One Year unlimited mileage....

It is one year beyond factory warranty, but it removes the mileage restriction. So if you buy a two year old lease return which normally has a 4 year, 50k factory warranty you can now get warranty coverage if the vehicle is say 4.75 years old but also has 150k on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
If I had to guess I think the dealer will spin some sort of lie about hitting the wrong button, not changing the default grade of oil on the paperwork etc.

as in lie that they did put 5w30 in and just the paperwork is wrong.

+1

My Son-in-Law works for a dealership. He will NEVER let the "oil change guys" change his oil. He specifies one or two of the mechanics for all his oil changes.

Talking about some of his oil change stories he has witnessed at his dealership:

ATF in the engine. Customer got a "new" engine.

Draining the ATF and then adding oil to the old oil. Customer left dealership and his car starts smoking up the city....Luckily is not enough ATF drained out to destroy the ATF...

Went to clean out an oil change guy's station and found 8 new oil filters hidden in his bay....eBay was his friend.

Try and do what Trav says...please try and learn to change your own oil. For most cars, it is not that hard.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Hello Community,

Unless, of course, you snatch up one of the fixed TDIs, which are required to have a pretty nice warranty as part of the agreement with the feds. It's not bumper to bumper, but it does cover all the expensive bits in the drivetrain, including the problematic high pressure fuel pumps and diesel emissions gubbins. It's called an "emissions warranty" but it covers pretty much everything oil or fuel touches.

Last edited:
Your vehicle will be fine. Swap over to the recommended 5w-30 in a premium synthetic (you know, to make the engine feel better) give it a couple of pats, and say "I'm sorry." You'll wake up in the morning and your car will act like it was never even upset. Then, in a couple weeks, swap in a nice rose scented air freshener to let it know you care.

I would ask them if they're actually putting the bulk 5w30 in and charging for the higher priced 0w20. I do believe that dealers charge more for semi-synthetic and full synthetic over conventional. I may be off, but that's something I would think about.
As others have said, I think all is fine with 0w20, just switch back to 5w30 next time. Now if you're losing sleep over it, take it back and have them do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back