0w-20 oil at Kia dealer vs M1/PUP

We just got a new Kia with the 2.5 NA motor. Kia dealer said I can get my oil changed for around $20 and recommended it as all service would be documented in the event of a warranty claim.

That said, my gut tells me the oil they use in a $20 change likely isn't as good as some of the other oils on the market. The salesman doesn't believe I would be able to bring my own oil to the dealer and I certainly would be charged more anyway.

Is it worth it to pay more and have a different shop change the oil with M1 or PUP or is the Kia oil good enough for the long haul.

Opinions please

For $20 a change do it every 5k or a bit earlier like 4k since it's so cheap. They document it and kia/hyundai is notorious for voiding the warranty so having on time or better yet early changes documented by the dealer is a good deal.

Please tell us exactly what is included in this "around $20" Kia dealer offer? I just gots to know!!! Thank you. Irishman

Aside from Castrol GTX I don't know of any syn blend 0w20s. I'd get the dealer changes; they're losing money on each one but hope to upsell when they find bad wiper blades and other frippery.

Somehow I bet it's "$19.95" with another seven bucks in environmental fees and taxes.

You can always go somewhere else if they stop the promo, or if it turns out the 2023 version of this engine doesn't self-destruct.

I think you need to ask the dealer exactly what 0W20 oil they use. I did some quick searches, and did not find any that were not labeled full synthetic. Their oil, if as they advertise in correct viscosity, should be fine for the oil change intervals recommended above.

Please tell us exactly what is included in this "around $20" Kia dealer offer? I just gots to know!!! Thank you. Irishman
Just an oil change. Salesman stated that was our price.

It didn't strike me as odd considering so many other dealers offer free oil changes or reduced oil changes in our area. I just figured it was a loss leader and/or baked into other sales costs

That and I'm betting their oil costs are WAY lower than what most places could buy at.

depending on your STEALER be AWARE of XTRA $$$$ for OTHER things they find!! cheap enough + prolly semi-syn + filter or not. you dont note what model + depending on YOU oil changes can be done cheaply with better oil + OE filters + NOT any xxw20 IMO girlfriends 18 2.4 optima specs 5 thou 6 mo changes + 30W oils are on the list. she gets typical fake synthetic 10-30 in PA weather + uses NO oil between changes, its been a great trouble free ride so far!!!

Hyundai-Kia has had hundreds of millions of $ warrantee claims over the years for engine failures. Dealers were inundated with warrantee claims and inspection requirements. I think KIA is willing to sell the cheaper oil change in hopes of customers taking better care of their vehicles, and so they can have a paper trail of care for your vehicle. That company has been bleeding green over engine issues. Take and use the dealers offer. Yes it's in the dealers best interest, but yours too.

Severe service intervals for a Smartstream 2.5 are 5,000 miles/6 months

At that price/presumed oil quality, I'd go for that for the first few OCIs, I like the idea of frequent oil changes on record early in the cars life, should there be engine issues later

Hopefully the 2.5 Smartstream engine ages better than the Theta II & 2.0 Nu 🙄

Enjoy the new car 🤌

Or, take advantage of the offer and let the dealer do the hard parts (filter, raising and removing the splash shield if it has one). Buy an oil extractor and replace dealer oil with the one of your choice whenever you wish.

Reactions: GON
what’s not to like about a $20, 3000 mile, sp-spec oil & filter change, with a courtesy inspection? it’s a simple matter to walk over to the service counter to learn the exact oil being used. any upsell, except for wiper blades, will covered by warranty. heck i would bring non-kia vehicles in for this deal, as i’m physically unable to change my own oil.

kia is clearly targeting its many customers who get $99/mo leases and think the little red oilcan light on the dash is just a friendly reminder.

Last edited:
My father had his Kia forte serviced at the local dealer, service manager told him they buy bulk non turbo vehicles got 5w20 and turbo saw 5w30 we are in South Carolina and they don’t see need for 0w.

We just got a new Kia with the 2.5 NA motor. Kia dealer said I can get my oil changed for around $20 and recommended it as all service would be documented in the event of a warranty claim.
Please name the dealership and person at the dealership that quoted you "around $20"?
One can no longer get semi-syns or conventional oil at the Kia dealerships. Your new fresh oil has to be full synthetic. This was a mandate handed down by Kia Inc - to all new vehicle dealerships, almost one year ago.

Back